rear drive seal

docc

This thinking makes me wonder if the vent is still calibrated to speeds common to the late '60s V7 and might benefit from being enlarged for today's speeds and horsepower?  :huh2::nerd:

From failing memory, the Centauro rear drive wasn't vented at all. You just got it good and hot and opened the filler cap to burp it. 

• 2 weeks later...

I suppose pulling/drifting the caged needle bearing to get to the seal from the outside is still immensely easier than the full dismantle from the inside.

In a commendable exercise of frank denial, I decided to drain the gearoil/moly after only 5,000 miles. Cleaned the needles out, along with everything else I could get to inside the axle area, with electronics cleaner and compressed air. Refilled a little over 90% capacity (with about 90% RedLine MTL GL5+ 80W140). 

69 miles and dry. :unsure:

I'm not expecting a permanent solution, but perhaps I dislodged some foreign material that was causing the leak . . . After all, what good is denial with out a creamy dose of wishful thinking? :sun:

[102,940 miles]

400 miles and I took the chance of telling some other Guzzi guys about it within earshot of the Sport (she does have ears, doesn't she?).

But still good. And still surprised what I did made any difference.  Of course, I don;t really know what I did . . . :huh2:

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Just watched “I Fidanzati Della Morte” (Engaged to Death). The old Guzzis were all that color.

I dig it!

You have a link to that "watch?"

Here is where I first heard about it

http://thevintagent.com/2017/09/05/the-vintagent-trailers-i-fidanzati-della-morte-engaged-to-death/

I will warn you that you will need a “multi-region” DVD player or most computers will play it if that’s adequate.

I'm going to start a new thread on that movie.

[ 11202017 docc/edit: http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20212 ]

• Like 2