If you haven't already heard it, any of you liked the John Cash/Rick Rubin American albums might be interested in this, very spare & solid. Mixed reviews - Cynical market placement or genuine stab at meaningful communication? - I dunno, but - way to go Tom! :thumbsup:

KB :sun:

51ZC3n7nVKL__SL500_AA300_.jpg

I'll have a listen.

Rick Rubin has good ears indeed :)

Hi Jihem, it's not Rubin producing. It's just reminiscent to me of all the late Cash recordings in the way it's stripped right back & raw. Aging singer digging at his roots & his future. For a seventy year old he don't do so bad!

I'll have a listen.

Rick Rubin has good ears indeed :)

Hi Jihem, it's not Rubin producing. It's just reminiscent to me of all the late Cash recordings in the way it's stripped right back & raw. Aging singer digging at his roots & his future. For a seventy year old he don't do so bad!

LIke Lulu, Dusty and the rest of them, he's expressed some regret that the pressure when coming to fame was also to go 'commercial' or the equivalent of that term in those days – rather than continue on in the more rootsy direction that they had developed from. They've also recognised the great commercial benefit that the direction from management brought to them.

Tom has seemed pretty genuine about what he's doing in recent years.

Rod Stewart, what?

Keith, isn't he sort of a national heroe for the Welsh?

Well I dunno, he's Welsh & proud of it, he can sure sing, & this country loves a good singer so I guess you might say something like that. I'm sure much of his strength as a singer comes from his Welsh background. If you listen to John Cale you might hear sometimes the same history. I'm no singer & I don't know much about it but I recognise many singers of Celtic origin carry similar power in their voices. I guess any singer who is steeped in the music from childhood carries authority in his voice.

What i've heard so far sounds very good when it's sparse, vibey and intimate!

With a voice like that, you gotta be careful choosing songs and i'm afraid the more "rock" tunes don't make it for me. I know when he sings faster songs and does his pelvis routine half of the women in the audience are collapsing, but it's just not happening to me :)

Maybe he should have asked Nick Cave to write him some downtempo murder ballads, or get Chris Isaac to pen him a couple of real bad ass wet louisiana swampy delicatessen ?

This is where the Cash/Rubin connection worked so well: they did some great thinking and got all the right songs and HURT, written by the amazing Trent Reznor, just nailed it.

But, ultimately it's a question of taste for sure as it does sound like a good album.

If you like this stuff, the album he did with Jools Holland rocks the roof off.

I wanted to see him in July at Bethel Woods (the original Woodstock site) but he canceled,very bummed.His voice sounds better than ever.