Seventh South'n Spine Raid 2011

docc

For those of you who plan way, waay ahead (you know who you are - I got your text!), the South'n Spine Raiders will gather for SSR Seven in Twenty Eleven at Tellico Plains, Tennessee. Last year's venue was overwhelmingly popular, so we'll return to The Lodge at Tellico.

We'll be riding the weekend before memorial Day (May 20-22). While we are celebrating the *soon-to-be-vintage *:rolleyes: Guzzi spine frame, all models and makes are happily enjoyed. It is again, after all, a non-event unaffiliated with this website, the administrator, Moto Guzzi, or any members, posters, or attendees. There is no real plan, agenda, registration, insurance, or support.

Yet, a good time was had by all!:drink:

It's only seven months away. I need to get that rear subframe welded and replace those rear drive seals!:luigi:

IMG_0041.JPG

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Docc,

I'll ignore your texting crack (tho true). You seem to live in an area not yet served by any fast-moving electrons. You probably didn't even get that text until your monthly run off the gravel and on the interstate to get provisions! :lol:

But, as we discussed off-line, I just made reservations at the Lodge at Tellico, Lodge at Tellico. Got our "usual room," 301; in, Friday, 20 May, and out, Sunday, 22 May. :thumbsup:

Had sent e/m, but not hearing back, called. Caught Walt on the road. Said they are doing an extensive remodeling of the restaurant, and adding a "mini-Cracker Barrel" sort of store up front. Anyway, said they were looking forward to our stay with them again.

For those who are not already aware of this event, here are pix of last year's Raid: 2010 SSR VI. :-)

As is evident, everyone had a very fine time, and Kathi and I are looking forward to similar fun this year. That is particularly true now that the Raid will probably be my last ride in the South until I get back from my year on the tundra at Rock Island. :o

FWIW, there is another group ride happening in the area that weekend, the OPR ... for "Olde Phartz Ryde" ... a longstanding group event of literally "all brands," tho the demographics are pretty much what you might guess. The short version is that both bikes and boys are ... erm ... vintage. :rolleyes:

The Old Phlatulents will be staying at the Days Inn in Sweetwater, so, aside from likely running into them (figuratively) on the road, maybe we can do a "combat mission" on Saturday night. Fresh scalps always make the partying back at the lodge better, and we all know that squaws dig scars. :drink::whistle:

[Legal Disclaimer (especially if Kathi somehow reads this). The SSR VII welcomes distaff participants as riders and pillions, and the words "squaw" and similar terms of endearment, including, but not by way of limitation, "chick" or "spousal unit," are meant in the most respectful and affectionate way. :notworthy: ]

Bill

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going to blast up there on Saturday 21st. (I know, I said that each year for seven years...charm time!) :homer: k

• 2 weeks later...

Another group staying in Franklin NC the same weekend are from the VFR discussion group. http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/64168-official-texasmac-2011-event-thread-may-19th-22nd/ I usually attend the VFRD meet with my husband and miss the SSR. My Cafesport somehow makes it either in the front of all of the other VFR's in the group pic or she is the very first pic in someone's post. Not sure how this happens but the V11 is quite the attention whore!

I will be with the FJR group that weekend staying at http://www.crawfordsattellico.com/. I hope to run into other like minded riders while there!

Ok, ok, you can tease us twice.

Still, somebody's gotta go show those guys what a really foxy motorcycle is. :mg:

09TexasMac024.jpg

Ok, ok, you can tease us twice.

Still, somebody's gotta go show those guys what a really foxy motorcycle is. :mg:

I love that Cafe Sport up front. Almost bought one, till I bought the best lookin', best handlin' V11. And I understand performance/function outweighs the look, I mean, c'mon, I've owned several old beemers ferchrissakes. But that line of Hondas has to be the ugliest line of bikes I've seen in a friggin' lifetime!!!

P.S. I have flirted with the idea of a "Large range of Dealers, with parts on demand! Bikes, the VFR in particular. A Highly Valued M/C source tells me , "they are like popcorn. Very fun at first, but in the long run they lack substance..."

...the very antithesis of the Moto Guzzi...

money shot.jpg

" . . . they are like popcorn . . ."

Ha, I had one of those for a couple years after I crashed the Sport. It was white and "Popcorn" would have been a good name for it!

The Sport is more like a grand lasagna with a side of pasta, a full bodied chianti, and for dessert: tiramisu. By the time the plates are away and the bottle is empty, you know you've had a rich and varied experience, but can be certain you've gone in over your head.:food:

Sometimes, it can make you feel like popcorn would have been a good idea!;)

" . . . they are like popcorn . . ."

Ha, I had one of those for a couple years after I crashed the Sport. It was white and "Popcorn" would have been a good name for it!

The Sport is more like a grand lasagna with a side of pasta, a full bodied chianti, and for dessert: tiramisu. By the time the plates are away and the bottle is empty, you know you've had a rich and varied experience, but can be certain you've gone in over your head.:food:

Sometimes, it can make you feel like popcorn would have been a good idea!;)

What's with that heavy Neapolitan menu, docc? Guzzis are from the north. Besides, you left off the grappa. :drink:

And, speaking of popcorn, especially the sound of it popping, and the overlooked charm of a boring motorcycle v. "character," just found that the collector pipe on my Norge is cracked. :luigi:

Hope to have it replaced with a "can't do that again" SS version from Todd Eagan at Guzzitech before my run to Virginia next month, and certainly by the time of the 'Raid.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

DSC02060.jpg

Scott was just in and let me know the dates of the event. Luckily, Cherie and I will be back in town. I'll have Tom run the shop so I can go riding one of the days. We'll kick in some door prizes too!

minimike

DSC02369.jpg

Waved to someone on what looked like a red Lemans today as I blew by...I was late for the house. Fellow had just pulled into a tire store lot on the south side of Madisonville, TN on TN-411. Anyone? k

Waved to someone on what looked like a red Lemans today as I blew by...I was late for the house. Fellow had just pulled into a tire store lot on the south side of Madisonville, TN on TN-411. Anyone? k

That was me on the Ballabio- Scott. Was looking for some nicer wheels for the new Tacoma. Then made my way over to Mike's (very nice) Outfitters. Also wanted to look up the lodge as I'm gonna try to make it this year. I've missed the last couple of years due to work (inexcusable I know), but have since learned the power of a sick day.

S

Very good, Scott. Look forward to seeing you at Raid this year. kim

That was me on the Ballabio- Scott. Was looking for some nicer wheels for the new Tacoma. Then made my way over to Mike's (very nice) Outfitters. Also wanted to look up the lodge as I'm gonna try to make it this year. I've missed the last couple of years due to work (inexcusable I know), but have since learned the power of a sick day.

S

Hey, I can write you a note. It might could work. Once. Perhaps. But it's worth a shot and you do look as of you're developing the epizootics. The only known cure is wind blast and vibration.:grin:

Mike, glad you're gonna turn a wheel with us this year! I'm wearing my Tellico Motorcycles Outfitters shirt as I type this. And it's the one not speckled with gear oil. Thanks for your support and the great tank bag you put me into last year!

Currently, I have a new shaft ordered from Teo Lamers (through my local Moto Guzzi dealer in Seattle, Washington) and will have all the seals in my rear drive renewed. I just can't go another year with well meaning Guzzisti pouring ale on my rear wheel to wash off the gear oil. There are much better uses for ale than that!:bier:

• 3 weeks later...

Unlike past years, I'm planning on being there on a Guzzi!! (I know, shock of shocks). While I'd love to ride over on the Eldo, based on my current reassembly rate, I may have one or two test rides in by the departure time of SSR VII. While I love the thrill that occurs every time I press the starter button on an EYE-talian bike (Please start, please start) and the ride experience (please get me to where I'm going, please get me to where I'm going), I will, instead, show up on a modern Stelvio.

The good news is the luggage compartment is large enough for a couple of liters of home brew... I'll have to see what I can have ready in a month.

Looking forward to it!

Rick