Seventh South'n Spine Raid 2011

docc

Did 400-miler on them thar roads this past Sunday.

Details here, Cheers & Tears on the Cherohala and pix only here, if you care: Captioned Ride Pix

But ... I mention that here because I stopped by SSRVII HQ's, the Lodge at Tellico, to make sure all well with reservations. Well, yes, said Walt ... but only 5 reservations so far.

If you are going, better get to it or we'll have more ... erm ... motorcycling "diversity" sharing the game room and tables than even the most politically correct Guzzista can stomach. :lol:

Make it happen here: Lodge at Tellico

Bill

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Made the circuit this afternoon up to Tellico Plains, down 68 to Ducktown, and back west on 64/72. Really a great ride. Looking forward to next month. k

• 2 weeks later...

I've a fellow rider coming along from Middle Tennessee who's booked a room and would like to split costs. If anyone is interested, pm me and I'll get you in touch with him.

Gottem new drive shaft?

Now we're riding the ragged edge, taunting the storm Gods, and smuggling home brew!:ninja:

I love this ride!:mg:

Gottem new drive shaft?

Now we're riding the ragged edge, taunting the storm Gods, and smuggling home brew!:ninja:

I love this ride!:mg:

Ok, I've been bracing myself for the potential ribbing that might come my way for wiping gear oil off my rear wheel a second year in a row.

After changing the outer (easy) big seal in the rear drive, the drip reduced to more of a splatter. The shop I found to change the inner seal had the main man out for six weeks with medical issues. Tuesday, he told me he couldn't guarantee getting the thing back together in the next couple weeks. In the meantime (is this sounding like a long, drawn out alibi?), I ordered my drive shaft from my local Moto Guzzi dealer in Seattle, Washington ( like 3000 miles from here) who ordered the piece from The Netherlands (like 10,000 miles from there). They said to expect a month, but after six weeks, there's no word on a delivery time.

So, I packed an extra rag instead.:huh:

The short answer is . . . no.:(

Wwwweeeelllll...if I do not get the helicoil in my valve cover, we can share wiping rags...ha ha. k

Looks like we'll be bringing a half dozen riders out of Middle Tennessee Friday am from MarcyJo's Mealhouse four miles east of I65/ exit 46 on the corner of TN Hwy 99 and US 431. We'll meet for breakfast about 8:30 CDT and take a selection of backroads east to Tellico Plains.

Likely to arrive between 2:30 and 3:30 EDT.

Saturday, expect an eastern loop over the Cherohala to the Dragon's Nose to take in the scene and on through Fontana for lunch in Franklin before a return along Wayah Rd and back over the Cherohala.:helmet:

...Saturday, expect an eastern loop over the Cherohala to the Dragon's Nose to take in the scene and on through Fontana for lunch in Franklin before a return along Wayah Rd and back over the Cherohala.:helmet:

Docc, where and when do you anticipate join up and breakfast on Saturday AM? I'm planning to join you for the day. k

...Saturday, expect an eastern loop over the Cherohala to the Dragon's Nose to take in the scene and on through Fontana for lunch in Franklin before a return along Wayah Rd and back over the Cherohala.:helmet:

Docc, where and when do you anticipate join up and breakfast on Saturday AM? I'm planning to join you for the day. k

If past is prologue, we'll eat breakfast at the Lodge.

Docc, as of now, I have several "mebbes" from others, but only confirmed are Kathi and me. We'll leave downtown Atlanta c.0900, with a likely stop for a fritter or lunch at Hofer's in Helen before taking 75 or 348 over the mountain to 294 then 68 into Tellico, tho may do the Cherohala west bound unless we overstay our lunch and the sun is deadly by then.

Look forward to seeing all.

Bill

Here is some added incentive for atgatt.

These basterds hurt at 70 mph!

My brother called me from Monticello, Georgia, on Sunday. Was on his Breva 1100. Said he thought he'd been by a rock about a mile out of town. When he got to the courthouse square, he learned what it probably was a 13-Year Cicada Rascals would take out the teeth of a novelty-helmet wearer ... well, assuming they still had some. :grin:

OBTW, sure hope the weather stays as presently predicted: Tellico Plains Weather

Doesn't reach Sat or Sun, but Fri is looking great. More importantly, it would seem that we are in for a longish unstable and wet pattern for many days before that weekend, so odds are good you want get as soaked as in past Raids. Yeah, I know. Figure the odds. :wacko:

And, Josh, Kathi wants you to bring baby pix. She hasn't told docc yet, but she wants to put on a multi-media presentation of our grandbabies in the lodge game room instead of the usual beer and partying. With 8 on the ground and #9 inbound and overdue. Could be a long session. :D

Bill

Here is some added incentive for atgatt.

These basterds hurt at 70 mph!

My brother called me from Monticello, Georgia, on Sunday. Was on his Breva 1100. Said he thought he'd been by a rock about a mile out of town. When he got to the courthouse square, he learned what it probably was a 13-Year Cicada Rascals would take out the teeth of a novelty-helmet wearer ... well, assuming they still had some. :grin:

OBTW, sure hope the weather stays as presently predicted: SSRVII Weather

Doesn't reach Sat or Sun, but Fri is looking great. More importantly, it would seem that we are in for a longish unstable and wet pattern for many days before that weekend, so odds are good you want get as soaked as in past Raids. Yeah, I know. Figure the odds. :wacko:

And, Josh, Kathi wants you to bring baby pix. She hasn't told docc yet, but she wants to put on a multi-media presentation of our grandbabies in the lodge game room instead of the usual beer and partying. With 8 on the ground and #9 inbound and overdue. Could be a long session. :D

Bill

Really, no . . . a multi-baby power point? Is there going to be a quiz after? It should go well with the clack of pool balls!:drink:

Definitely Saturday breakfast at the "Lodges at Tellico." Probably around 0800.

Of course there will always be a debate whether that means Eastern time or Central. (Expect the EDT guys to prevail. Bill has what my folks always called "ants in yer pants."):ninja:

Hey guys, thought I would check in to see how the ride was shaping up. Looks like it is all coming together well and I wish you the best weather and hope the local finest treat you fairly, or better yet they just let you go! Treating this crew fairly would end up with a bunch of MG's in the impound lot. By the way, my son Derek is now a police officer in Scottsboro, Al. So if you are passing through and get pulled over just tell the officer you are his uncle or something.

Tried real hard to make it this year, but decided to wait on the GT8V, they should be here soon and I am hoping to be on one before the end of the year, hopefully sooner. I tried to get the guys at Motus Motorcycles to join us and let me borrow a bike but the bikes are unavailable this month. They are a nice bike but dew to the boutique status will have a nice price.

Have fun and be safe! And somebody have a Peroni and Grappa for me!

Later!

David

P.S. I am a grandpa as well now. I will need to know the proper format for next years presentation!

D'veed!

Hearty congratulations on Derek's "successes!" Now you get to sign all posts with: :oldgit: !!!

Hope we can hook up for Barber's Vintage Festival in October. Email me through the board so I can keep you in the loop on that plan.

Great to hear from you!

David, look forward to seeing you down the road, especially a twisty one!

Docc, antsy-pantsy or not, I have no problem with you mid-staters getting your beauty sleep on Sat a.m., given your plan for an into-the-sun assault on the Cherohala. Will give yellow disk time to get some altitude before we do. Besides, that gives me more time to empty the biscuit basket before you all straggle in later. :whistle:

As expected, the balmy weather predicted for the SSRVII only a day or so ago, has deteriorated to the usual 40-60% chance of T-storms. Figures. OTOH, tomorrow may have the computer model at TWC saying snow. :lol:Tellico Plains Weather

Bill

P.S. At the Georgia Guzzi meeting last night at the Brewhouse ... the Vortex dissed us, and we are looking for a new home ... Mike and Sue Craven said they will likely be at the Raid, too. Mike has a Cal II and Norge, and they will be on the latter.