How To Turn Your Fast Idle Into A Left Hand Throttle

furry

I did this trick on my old Jackal and it worked like a charm, I loggel many a mile without problems. The picture is of my V11 I just did. The Pic will explain most of it but here is a step-by-step of the deal:

The fast idle cam mounted under the right TB will come off and be moved over one peg. You will see the unused peg. You will need to do a few simple things:

(1) Grind down the sharp edge on the cam to make it more of a smoothe roll on the linkage.

(2) Add a small spacer or washer to space the cam down to center the linkage roller.

(3) Stretch the spring out to cover the extra cable gained.

(4) Hardest part; drill a small hole in the peg and pin it so the cam doesn't fall off.

DONE!

Working the fast idle will give just under 1/2 throttle. I have found it to be more than sufficient cruising light throttle. It gives plenty throttle to pull hills and such. Make sure you stretch the spring and work it to make sure there is no hang up in operation. Enjoy!!

IMG_20111203_143339.jpg

I couldn't see where it makes a difference operating via left tb linkage v/s right tb linkage. The cross over rod seems up to the task.. That being said this mod should be used to give the throttle hand a rest for a bit, not log hundreds of miles lol. I can assure you this mod does operate flawlessly as I have use it extensively.

That's brilliant. Even with the standard "fast idle" setting, I could have laid my cold, wet throttle hand on the cam cover for a bit back in that last frozen hand ride.

Strange things affect you when your left hand is happy but your right hand is not . . . :huh:

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, word of warning for those who do this mod; warn your mechanic BEFORE he starts the bike! I took my Jackal in for a service years back and the mechanic went to pull the bike in, hit the high idle lever and then the start button... Be about laid it down when she started up at 4grand lol. The look on his face! Funny stuff

• 3 months later...

That's a brilliant idea, I have often wished I could give it enough throttle so I could take my right hand off to do something, the stock cam doesn't quite do it.

• 2 months later...

That's a brilliant idea, I have often wished I could give it enough throttle so I could take my right hand off to do something, the stock cam doesn't quite do it.

I have carried out this mod and it's a breeze. Tomorrow I will test it as a cruise control. The fast idle seems to be more adjustable too.