Eighth South'n Spine Raid 2012

docc

What do motorcyclists do in the depths of winter? Maintenance? Restoration? Performance upgrades?

Actually, no. They drink ale and use the web to plan trips and gatherings in the warmer weather!

Come who may, some of them will end up in Tellico Plains, Tennessee, June 22-24, 2012, for the Eighth South'n Spine Raid (SSR8). Individual reservations can be made directly with The Lodge at Tellico.

As in the past, this is a non-event with no affiliation with Moto Guzzi, any website/administrator/moderator/or member, any participant, poster, or poseur. There is no organization, no plan, no support, no registration, no solvency, and no accountability. No t-shirt, no stickers, no poker run.

Otherwise, a good time is had by all who wander on. Use this thread to post your intent and maybe find other riders traveling in from your area. With just three days to ride, it really is about the journey!:bike: Well, and the tire kicking, wire crimping, and tall tales of sweeping corners on mountain passes. :drink:

Although we are celebrating the Moto Guzzi Spine Frames (1992-2005), all are welcome. Ride in, fly in, drive in. Any make, any model. Just bring your smile.:sun:

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great work, docc.

Plan right now -- code for "not thought out at all, but so what?" -- is for me to truck or ride the new Griso from Milan to Atlanta just before that weekend.

Griso & Barn 1.jpeg

I'll then ride it to Tellico, and Kathi will probably come up in her MINI. She would not, I think, enjoy the Griso's pillion for the ride from Atlanta to Tellico, tho she'll be fine for the day rides.

Old hands have seen 'em before, but newcomers to this event might find it worthwhile to skim these slides for some idea of last year's Raid: SSR 7 Pix, with much more background in the original thread, SSR 7 Thread.

Thanks again, docc, for taking this on. We look forward to "the reunion."

Bill

Just sent Walt a reservation request for 22-24 June at Lodge at Tellico.

This is my first winter in the Midwest, and, even tho it's been mild, I'm already going stir crazy waiting on spring!

Bill

I would sure like to make this non rally. We are planing a TN trip (or several) as we make plans to relocate down that way as soon as the house sells. We rode through that area last year coming back from a trip to Texas and enjoyed those TN roads.

Hal

No accountability... I'm in!

No T Shirt, I am out !

Tell you what.

You get to Tellico Plains for the Raid, and I'll buy you and your SO your choice of tees from the Deals Gap Store . :whistle:

Like your tagline, btw.

Bill

No accountability... I'm in!

No T Shirt, I am out !

Tell you what.

You get to Tellico Plains for the Raid, and I'll buy you and your SO your choice of tees from the Deals Gap Store . :whistle:

Like your tagline, btw.

Bill

Nothing I would like better ! Will let you know. Off to buy some lottery tickets.

In all honesty and fairness (don't take this as a trend), Mike at Tellico Outfitters has given T-shirts to Spine Raiders the last couple years. I wouldn't hold him to it every year, but he does have a really nice motorcycle accessory store right there in Tellico Plains at the Tennessee side of the Cherohala Parkway.

If you have any purchases on the horizon, give Mike's shop a look. He's Guzzi rider, forum member, and all around good guy. :bier:

The Cherohala is nice fast run, from what I remember the tail of the Dragon and Hellbender are crazy busy on the weekend. We rode though I think McMinville ? coming back from Texas on Rt 30 I believe which was a nice twisty ride.

The Cherohala is nice fast run, from what I remember the tail of the Dragon and Hellbender are crazy busy on the weekend. We rode though I think McMinville ? coming back from Texas on Rt 30 I believe which was a nice twisty ride.

Oh, yeah: Tn 30 from Tellico (via 39) to McMinnville is fabulous! We'll use that both going and coming back to middle Tennessee. :race:

• 2 weeks later...

Reservations are starting to come in to The Lodge at Tellico. Walt, there, tells me there is another motorcycle group also coming that weekend who have made a couple reservations already (no other details, but not Guzzis).

Just a heads up for anyone who might wan to get their room secured. Admittedly, the rooms are a little awkward with a king bed and a kid's bed or pull-out couch.

Also, Walt told me the restaurant is no longer open to the public and meals will be offered "family style" for the guests. Not sure how that works exactly, but I remember my big brother eating my biscuits back in the day. "Family style" may mean we'll have to keep an eye on Hagan's consumption. Here's a guy who posts pics of his meals on the internet, after all . . .

Reservations are starting to come in to The Lodge at Tellico. Walt, there, tells me there is another motorcycle group also coming that weekend who have made a couple reservations already (no other details, but not Guzzis).

Just a heads up for anyone who might wan to get their room secured. Admittedly, the rooms are a little awkward with a king bed and a kid's bed or pull-out couch.

Also, Walt told me the restaurant is no longer open to the public and meals will be offered "family style" for the guests. Not sure how that works exactly, but I remember my big brother eating my biscuits back in the day. "Family style" may mean we'll have to keep an eye on Hagan's consumption. Here's a guy who posts pics of his meals on the internet, after all . . .

One of the advantages of having food as one's downfall is that the landings are well-cushioned. :food:

And, Lordy, I do love biscuits. Must say, however, that making "real 'Mer'can biscuits and gravy is ... sigh ... a lost art. :(

Bill