Removing blasting medium from rocker covers

AndyH

I was intending to polish up my rocker covers and head protectors so, to remove the peeling paint I sent them away with the swingarm to be blasted.

I told the guy that I was planning to polish them and he had advertised that he used Olivine grit (softer than glass) so I thought this was going to be good enough. The swingarm (steel) was fine and came back plastic coated as requested and is now on the bike with new bearings.

The rocker covers and the head protectors however... he actually used the glass grit that he used on the swing arm so the covers and protectors have come back rough as a hedgehog's arse and certainly not fit for polishing.

The worst thing was, he'd blasted the inside of the covers. Recalling horror stories about guys that got their vintage crank cases silica blasted inside and out: the grit got embedded in the casting (not the oilways which had been masked) and in spite of every effort to scrub them out, the grit remained in the alloy until the engine got hot then 'sweated' out into the oil. Result: grinding paste for lubricant.

So is this a myth or very real fact? Can I just paint up the lids and put them back on the bike so I can get back on the road while I source replacements, or will they do the same to my V11 and trash it from inside out as soon as they sweat out the grit?

Try waiting 'til the wife is out and then putting them in the dishwasher, will probably get hot enought to loosen any residual blast material. I always put bits for engines I am rebuilding into the washer, they come out lovely and bright. Not so sure about the next set of plates and cups though.

Try waiting 'til the wife is out and then putting them in the dishwasher, will probably get hot enought to loosen any residual blast material. I always put bits for engines I am rebuilding into the washer, they come out lovely and bright. Not so sure about the next set of plates and cups though.

She's away till Friday - good plan. 70 deg C should do it.

AndyH

She's away till Friday - good plan. 70 deg C should do it.

AndyH

And you know we'll never tell . . . :unsure::grin: We're a band of brothers! :drink:

And you know we'll never tell . . . :unsure::grin: We're a band of brothers! :drink:

Dishwasher I think I can get away with, it's bits in the oven she gets mad about. At least with the Guzzi I don't need to cook chains in grease tins like I used to in the early days. :oldgit:

Anyway, it's done now - kind of came out a dull grey but I think it's worked the grit out so I just need to smooth them down and paint.