V11 Ecu diagnostics and reprogramming

Paul Minnaert

Quick aside question:  If one already has VDST, does VDST already do everything that GuzziDiag does (at all, better, worse?)

I've had VDST and its requisite cabling new in the box for quite a while and haven't tinkered with it, so I'm curious if I should bother with VDST at this point.  I've never gotten my 3k RPM stumble sorted, and I'd love to ditch the PCIIIUSB and modify the ECU directly to simplify things.  Not sure if VDST will get me there to remove the PCIII & get things sorted, or if I need GuzziDiag instead.

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

So, read all 11 pages, and still came away unsure of what cables are needed after a few revisions in the posts.

Can someone summarize the exact cable(s) that are necessary?

I see the following post has the cables mentioned by type, but wanted to confirm if there were any specific models/part#s:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19212&p=206975

You'll need three cables. 1) FIAT-Lancia adapter cable (Andoer 3 pin > OBD II); 2) FTDI chipped OBD II > USB; 3) Caspers TPS breakout harness

The rest is easy(ish)!  :nerd:

I have the TPS breakout already.

Are the following the correct cables:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-cable-for-Triumph-Motorcycles-TuneECU-FTDI-FT232RL-Chip-OBD-II-KTM-Tune-ECU-/301748110752

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Pin-to-16-Pin-OBD2-Adapter-Cable-Connector-for-Fiat-Alfa-Romeo-Lancia-/331320900490

Here's a question though, will Guzzidiag work with the VDST cable I already have?  It connects to the ECU with the same 3 pin connector, has the battery connectors, but instead of being USB is 9 pin serial via a null-modem.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

I got the harness setup from Lonelec. It works perfectly and they offer the proper drivers and have good customer support.

I got the harness setup from Lonelec. It works perfectly and they offer the proper drivers and have good customer support.

droydx, This is, specifically, the FTDI chipped [OBD II > USB ] adapter cable?

Could you post a link?

droydx, This is, specifically, the FTDI chipped [OBD II > USB ] adapter cable?

Could you post a link?

I ordered one last week.  Came in a jiff.  London Electric Guzzi Diag Cables.

Well, then, the pair! (Only thing left is the TPS break-out harness.)

What's that come to, in US$, shipped from the UK?

The magnificent gent known as Scud is helping me out ordering a few parts to go with the hugger I'm getting off him. Since he needs a righteous ftdi blahblah obd2 cable also, we got a twoferone shipping there from Docc's recommended source https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/Ftdi_Cable/ES6928/

Got the the TPS breakout from Caspers linked here http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18052

I just need the 3pin to odb2 converter which are available everywhere including NZ. Can anyone confirm that cable is so simple they couldn't f it up if they wanted to, more or less?

The missing link is a few ft of, diameter I need to look up, clear hose, and a 1/4 cup of 2T oil, for a manometer to balance throttle bodies, and instructions.

Then I need the software.

Now how about one of the resident gurus puts it all together in one place?

Yah, the 3pin>OBD is a no-brainer.

Lots of guys swear by the manometer. Seems messy to me, but I'm using Hg (how smart is that? :blink:

The TwinMax works well, but costs a few bucks (used to be about 100US$ here)

Good news is, you'll be in the thick of your summer riding season when it gets nasty enough here for me to stay in and work up an updated tune-up thread.

Lots of guys swear by the manometer. Seems messy to me, but I'm using Hg (how smart is that? :blink:

Good news is, you'll be in the thick of your summer riding season when it gets nasty enough here for me to stay in and work up an updated tune-up thread.

Hg is foolish if you ask me. My high school chemistry teachers were extremely concerned with keeping it in the bottle. If it gets on the floor it's impossible to get rid of it and you have vapour coming off forever more.

If you accidentally suck in a bit of 2T oil I don't believe it will wreck anything. Would be interested to know what exactly occurs when that happens. Sucking Hg would be an environmental disaster at least.

Hg is foolish if you ask me. My high school chemistry teachers were extremely concerned with keeping it in the bottle. If it gets on the floor it's impossible to get rid of it and you have vapour coming off forever more.

If you accidentally suck in a bit of 2T oil I don't believe it will wreck anything. Would be interested to know what exactly occurs when that happens. Sucking Hg would be an environmental disaster at least.

Agreed. If I had to do over I would use the TwinMax or equivalent. Motowfo and I tested them (Hg and TwinMax) back to back and verified the TwinMax is reliable.

$33.35 Shipped.

Not to downplay the seriousness on Mercury, but I remember playing with it when I was a kid, like rolling it around in my hand at grade school...might explain a lot of things.

$33.35 Shipped.

that's really good buying. Costs more than that from ECS just for the one obd2 cable.

$33.35 Shipped.

that's really good buying. Costs more than that from ECS just for the one obd2 cable.

Truly. When it arrives, please confirm that it is compatible.  Very frustrating to have tried a cable that wasn't.