V11 Ecu diagnostics and reprogramming

Paul Minnaert

Driveability is exactly what I'm after Hubert.

The X-over makes it nicer in the upper-mid rev range - really flies -  but has messed up lower-mid a bit.

I work in software so backups and comments are bread and butter to me, but I see how it should work now.

And if I do mess up I can import the original backup bin file to return to standard.

Andy

"I guess I download and mail my .bin file off to the GuzziDiag developers to convert to XDF so I can see or edit the map in Tunerpro. Can I generate an edited bin or do I have to send off the edited XDF to the GuzziDiag developers again to convert back to bin so I can import again?"

You just send once your *.bin file to Guzzidiag developers. They will not touch or convert it, they just store it for the database. You will get from them as a reward the *.xdf -file, which you import to your TunerPro. The sending of the *.bin file... I think our friends at the "Guzzidiag labs" just use it as a means to get their maps database larger and larger :whistle:.  After having received the *.xdf -file, you will need nobody... you can admire the contents of our Ecu, do changes and upload it all back to our ecu. The developers wrote that they estimate that there are 300-400 active Guzzidiag users out there. There must be quite a few V11 maps also in their hands. I would not be surprised, if you would get some maps from them which you can try out or use as a base for alterations of your own.

This was very educational for me: http://www.bikeboy.org/fuelinjection.html. Only the writer speaks about milliseconds and as discused before, on the Weber-Marellis of Guzzis the values are not so straight forward.

Ok, I have the software downloaded, both cables, and am going to play with a bit. Have talked to a local shop with a dyno. I'm ready to see if I can tune my Cafe Sport without the Power Commander III. Was wondering if anyone has any maps that they are willing to swap with me. I'm planning on spending a couple hours on the dyno and would like to compare with the PC III, just stock, and maybe a couple other maps before I muck around with the changing things. 

My bike has an aftermarket crossover and cans on it as well as an airbox ring. 

I have an MSi Wind U90 Netbook running Windows XP Service Pack 2 with a USB OBDII and adapter cable to fit to my diagnostic socket. These work well and I can connect to my Ecu with Guzzidiag v0.31 and IAW15xWriter v0.21 via the diagnostic socket.  I have downloaded the map and sent it to the kind Guzzidiag folk who have sent me the unlocked map.

I am now trying to make a test bench for the Magnetti Marelli IAW15M Ecu’s.  I want to play around with the various diagnostic and re-mapping tools off the bike. I have a spare working Ecu (my bike runs in the garage with it although I have not tried it on the road yet) and an old wiring loom with the Ecu and diagnostic plugs fitted. I have traced and labelled all the wires to the Ecu.

Looking at the the wiring diagram it seems pin 17 is permanently live via F1 and pin 26 becomes live with ignition on via the Ecu relay.  Ground is via pins 23 and 26.

I connected it all with a 12volt battery and an OBDII cable but could not get the Guzzidiag  software to recognise the Ecu although it does if the same Ecu is fitted to the bike and I use the same netbook and cables.

Am I missing something here?

Should some of the other pins be connected to their components?

As future work I am hoping to simulate the air and oil temp with resistors and use LEDs to indicate when the coils and injectors are firing.  That just means I have to find a way of triggering the timing sensor, perhaps a simple small motor spinning a disc or I did read somewhere about using an MP3 player with the relevant frequencies recorded as an audio track.

So…..with pins 23 and 26 connected to ground and pins 17 and 26 to 12v, why can’t I see the Ecu?

Many thanks for any suggestions.

:thumbsup:    EDIT.  see below, now working 

Had another play with my test rig.  Added an LED and a resistor between pin 19 (ground side of the Inj Relay coil and pin 17 which is permanent 12v.  It now seems to function although I am not certain if that was the fix.  When I connect pin 26 to 12v I now get the Led to light for a few seconds indicating it has turned the pump on for it's usual prime cycle.Guzzidiag and IAW15x Reader now working.

Paul,I have emailed you the map.

I am not sure which bike it comes from, it is an IAW15M C1 marked 'V11..'

Now got all three working, Guzzidiag, IAW15M Reader and Writer.  I used Tunerpro to create 3D graphs of the the two fuel maps from my original and spare ecu's, amazed at how different they are yet the bike still runs on both!

I have written my original map onto the spare and will work from there.

Once I have figured out how to add pictures I will post them.

Check out the 'Oil-Temp' tab or however it's called in your XDF. Compare the % correction factor at for instance 70°C. Probably the big difference you mentioned lays there.

• 4 weeks later...

Will this also work on the Fox Kit ECU's??  My Ballabio has this ECU, and no one seems to know anything about making changes in it.  Thanks.

The GuzziDiag tools are made for the original Magneti-Marelli ecus (15M or 15RC / V11). You can always find an original one and start using GuzziDiag tools. The latest big thing around this "talk of the global Guzzisti -community" was proudly presented few days ago:  there is a very easy "lambda off" -function for the 15RC ecu (comes with the latest 15RC -xdf file used with the TunerPro -editor). If "lambda off" has been done, the CO value can be adjusted with the GuzziDiag OBD tool "manually" as with the 15M ecu always.

Hi there

First I'd like to offer my help to translate Guzzidiag to french... just drop me a PM with all the strings to translate and I'll do my best.

Second point, I'm trying to run Guzzidiag on my Mac and I'm facing the blinking finder issue. I've seen the hints on the download page (If your finder is blinking: try to convert the app to a self growing diskimage) but I just don't understand or know how to convert the app to a self growing diskimage !

I'd appreciate any help on this matter.

On how to convert the app to a self growing diskimage, I've found my way:

- launch the Disk Utility

- Click on "New Image"

- In the dialog window:

* Save as: type in the new diskimage filename, e.g. GuzziDiag-0.35

* Name: type in GuzziDiag

* Format : select Mac OS Extended (Case-sentive, journaled)

* Image format : select SparseBundle disk image

Click on Create

This will create a GuzziDiag-0.35.sparsebundle file and mount it automatically: you should now have a GuzziDiag disk image mounted.

Just copy there GuzziDiag-0.35.app from the zip file.

You now just have to run GuzziDiag-0.35 from the mounted disk image.

Unmount the disk image when you're done.

Just double click on GuzziDiag-0.35.sparsebundle to mount the image the next time you want to run GuzziDiag.

Hi, 

I have been playing around a bit with Guzzidiag and the reader on my Breva 750 2004 today. 

But I have a question, where can I send the .bin file if I want to have the XDF for Tunerpro? 

Best regards, 

Peter