Ninth South'n Spine Raid 2013

docc

While all the South'n Spine Raids in memory (there's the first disclaimer right there!) have been in May or June, this year will see us in the Tennessee/North Carolina mountains September 13-15. Last year, the horrific June heat and the fact that Bill and Kathy Hagan couldn't come have prompted a regroup. (Similar to Group W, but on a different bench . . . )

Currently, the plan is to return to Tellico Plains, TN, and The LodgeatTellico Friday, and make the NC loop on Saturday, parting ways Sunday. When we can remember every corner or have the menu memorized at the Sunset Restaurant in Franklin, NC, we'll do something totally different. The autumn tone of the Appalachians should give us a fine treat. By all appearances, all the king's horses and all the king's men will have the Cherohala Skyway back together by then.

Those of you having dropped in before (or meant to) know that this is a non-event unrelated to this forum, its administrator, moderators, or members. There is no fee, it is not a rally, there is no plan or support. There is no organization, no prizes, no satellite uplink. Lodging is up to the folks dropping by, but posting here may put you in touch with a shared room.

Tell Walt, at The Lodge at Tellico, you're there for the Guzzis. They'll feed us handsomely, but the restaurant is no longer open to the public.

I suppose that's the skinny. Hope to see the usual suspects and some new faces (and cylinder heads)!

Well, aren't we honored!   :D

Actually, I know that this is for Kathi, but as the head of her security detail, always happy to tag along.   :race:  

Will call Walt today; take it from your update re restaurant that you "prepped" him about this "non-event."

I will -- Lord & creek, etc. -- have retired by then and we will happily be ensconced in our (Iron) Cross Junction home, as, btw, where I am this moment for the next several days, "practicing" for retirement. I am pretty good at it, too.   :grin:

Anyway, consistent with our eldercare duties for my mom in Atlanta, will be at Tellico at least by that Friday afternoon.  

Not sure what Guzzi we'll bring.  Kathi has decreed that the Griso is not a LD tourer for her pillion posterior  :whistle: , but (so to speak), I'd like to introduce it to the Cherohala, etc.  So, Kathi may drive the Mini or Fit down, too, as she's fine with day rides on the Griso.

Anyway, very much looking forward to seeing all.

Bill & Kathi

Sounds great! I have not spoken with Walt since lat year's SSR, but that's how they handled breakfast last year.

I'd love to get a close look and watch the Griso in action. Double the spine - double the fun!

Geez... usually it's so little time to decide what to ride but now I have an even longer time to worry about that...

Hoping the cattle will be fat enough to "send home" by September.

See you guys....

• 3 weeks later...

Joe and I should be able to meet you guys at Deals Gap,as we did last year for part of the ride.Joe just picked up a '13 V 7 Special in the slower Yellow and Black paint scheme and is hard at work making it his own.

http://s1120.photobucket.com/user/buellish1/slideshow/Moto%20Guzzi

Sounds great! We usually make the store there at the crossroads late morning for anyone who wants to roll it, and make our way down NC 28 (fantastic!) for lunch at the Sunset in Franklin.

Looking forward to seeing (hearing!) Joe's V7!

Second docc's motion.  And commotion.   :P

Finally got around to calling Walt to reserve a room.  Gotta love a place like this: "You want your usual room?"  Yup.   :thumbsup:

This weekend, getting the Griso its 6K service with Jim Barron at Rose Farm Classics in Woodstock, then taking in the Slimey Crud Run in Wisconsin. All on a predicted wet and cool few days, darn it.  But, to make that damp easier to accept, Jim says I can take one of the new Cali 14's for a ride while I'm there,  Yee ha!   :race:  :mg:

Then, on 15 May, Larry LaHue flies up from Florida to help me ferry the Griso and Norge to their new home in Virginia.  Then, the only big decision between then and September is which of the harem's choices goes to the SSR.  Leaning toward the Griso, but I'm also buying place and show tix on the other two.

Bill

Whoa , Wil-H rides with the Slimey Cruds. . . . :notworthy:

And rides with the Biscuiteers of the Splinter Fringe ?

He's like Wile E. Coyote and Hunter S. Thompson all rolled up into one!  :thumbsup:

Just found out that the Georgia Guzzi Campout is the same weekend and will likely be at the reborn Two Wheels of Suches (the campground formerly known as TWO).Why does this always happen to me? Last year I missed a Buell event because they scheduled it the same weekend as Barber Vintage Days.

Just found out that the Georgia Guzzi Campout is the same weekend and will likely be at the reborn Two Wheels of Suches (the campground formerly known as TWO).Why does this always happen to me? Last year I missed a Buell event because they scheduled it the same weekend as Barber Vintage Days.

I learned Wayne's campout is the same dates. Great guy (Wayne), and excellent that T.W.O. is booting back up. Maybe we'll cross paths!

As far as any conflict with Barber's Vintage Festival - I can't imagine anything compares. Maybe the Manx TT  . . .

"As far as any conflict with Barber's Vintage Festival - I can't imagine anything compares. Maybe the Manx TT  . . ."

And thats why Barber got the nod.

Walt (The Lodge at Tellico) says there are 8 rooms available for the 13-14 of September. Bill and I have two of them. Best to let him know if you're on for the lodging!

• 2 weeks later...

Well since I moved from upstate NY to TN and now live about an hour from Tellico Plains I better make it this year! The Skyway is open went through there last week on the GS. 

Well, rats.  Just when we CARCians were about to take over, another Vertebral shows up.  Sheesh.   :grin:

Look forward to seeing you ... and that RC, my favorite of the spines.

Upstate "Empire State"  (where, btw?) has its many (including paved) charms, but Tennessee and anywhere along the Appalachian spine -- there I go again, and also forgetting that includes N.Y. -- is grand two-wheels country.

September loometh ... OK, eventually.

Best,

Bill