Highest Mileage Award?

docc

Having just fitted my 25th rear tire, it's always fun to try and impress admirers of the Sport telling them it has almost 85,000 miles on it. But the real hero: andy york's '02 LeMans with it's original speedo:

IMG_0202.jpg

• Like 1

my odometer packed it in at 19,000 miles couple years ago, so she'll always be low mileage. :-)

on the plus, the speedo & tripmeter still function well so i know (approximately) how fast & when i need to start looking for fuel.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Enjoyed turning 99,000 miles (almost 160.000 km) today. Although it was on a commute to work, I've had worse commutes! :whistle:

Angling toward the (US) magical 100,000 miles. Perhaps by (or on!) the Spine Raid.

I feel certain Andy York has the highest mileage V11 in the world and I'll never catch him (in more ways than one! :race: ), but it's pretty great to be enjoying this V11 after all these years and miles. :mg:

• Like 4

Most of you guys have me beat by quite a bit.  I'm only at 47k miles.

Have any of you with the twin plate clutch had to replace it yet?  I'm wondering how long I can expect mine to last.  I'm also guessing that it won't be real inexpensive or fun to replace.

Go Docc!!! Dedicate yourself to turning over 100,000 miles this weekend. What could possibly be more important than that?

Tom - I am about the replace the clutch on my LeMans, which has unknown miles. I just got all the parts in from MG cycle for a bit over $200: 2 plates, intermediate plate, new springs, and some bolts. Also bought their alignment tool. There a several threads documenting the process. I think my favorites are the people who do it in their living room - that would make it more fun.

Thanks Scud.  I expected the replacement parts to cost a lot more than that, probably because I've read too many threads on replacing the single plate clutches.

Do any of the old parts need to be resurfaced?

Thanks Scud.  I expected the replacement parts to cost a lot more than that, probably because I've read too many threads on replacing the single plate clutches.

Do any of the old parts need to be resurfaced?

The guys at MG counseled me through getting all the right parts and choosing between various friction materials and options for the intermediate plate. I don't know about resurfacing needs... still on the learning curve.

But (keeping with the topic of this thread) it does seem that the twin-plates go for many miles - depending, of course on riding style. My first indication of a problem was that I noticed the revs shoot up a bit at application of throttle at high speed - with no corresponding increase in MPH - thus indicating clutch slip. I've ridden it a bit since - and on my last ride, I got some clutch slip from a standing start, which I consider dangerous. So now she's having a time-out for bad behavior. I probably did about 1,000 miles between first noticing the problem and when it got to the point I considered it serious. Between those points, I had already ordered the parts.

I think Docc mentioned that he is planning to replace his flywheel after breaking the 100,000 mile mark. That's when it gets expensive - and also a big part of why the single to dual disc conversions are expensive. That conversion requires a different flywheel.

I'm at 35K miles. And 3 pawl spring replacements. Rationally it doesn't make sense to keep it, but rationality plays a very small role here.

• Like 1

160000 km ,-one spring change

-KG-

Aha! It appears we're running "neck and neck!" Well done, especially with your shorter riding season.

Unless you're ice racing the Lemans? ;)