2003 V11 Sport Naked - serial number one?

chamberlin

Hi guys - I'm considering selling the V11... haven't committed yet, but my BMW car hobby is getting out of hand, and something's gotta give. It still hasn't been ridden since sometime in 2015, so basically still just 64 miles or so since the rebuild... Need to take some new pics one day with the QuatD installed, and put some gas in it along with a new battery. Not sure where I'd end up pricing it though... so much time and money!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok just took delivery of another BMW car (the insanity continues!), so I've decided to sell the Moto Guzzi V11 Sport, serial number #1 for model year 2003.

Since I've been out of the M.G. hobby for some time, could you guys give me some guidance on pricing? I know it might be a tough one, having so many mods and customizations and extras. I have a price range in my head, but I have no idea what the V11 market is like these days. I can price certain BMW cars better than most appraisers, but I'm lost on this one.

Just as a short list if you didn't read the build thread, it has Ohlins (from a used Le Mans) suspension shipped from TLM in Netherlands ($2400), the Jean Marc hand made risers, new hot jet coated grey Quat-D underbelly exhaust ($$$), SpeedHut GPS custom gauges, brand new gas tank (NOS), brand new seat (NOS), powerflex bushings on the reaction rod, Power Commander (balanced throttle bodies too), Brian Ghezzi carbon fiber rear fender and chin piece, OEM carbon fiber cowling and front fender, side covers, and starter cover. Also, I've got TONS of extras with the bike, including original seat, forks, stock LaFranconi exhaust, gauge cluster, stock rear suspension, original valve covers, plus another spare seat, OEM LaFranconi carbon fiber mufflers, two large bins of parts and pieces, and who knows what else on the shelves. I've had the bike 5 years coming up next month, and have ridden it less than 100 miles since the rebuild. Needs new battery, probably new tires (just from age), and some minor things finished (like spray tinting the front windscreen darker), but overall it's ready to go. Fluids have hardly any miles on them but are about 4 years old now.

Any advice would be helpful - I'd love for this bike to go to a V11 enthusiast who understands these bikes, and appreciates the resto-mods done. I could probably part the bike out and do quite well monetarily speaking, but in my opinion there is a pretty damn good 'sum of the parts' machine here that would be a shame to undo.

IMG_20171104_094437_zpsci7shm3w.jpg

grazie mio fratelli Guzzisti

Joe

• Like 1

Joe - 

Wouldn't it be worth a battery and some fresh fluids to make sure it's all ready for the next owner? I assume you will ask an above average price for this labor of love. Anyone who will pay above average will expect the bike to be ready to ride - as-is.

If you're just looking for the highest total price, you might do well to restore the original exhaust and suspension and sell the Quat-D and Ohlins separately. If you want to sell it as-is, I think it would probably go for a bit less than one of the special editions that came stock with Ohlins. They buyer will have to decide if all those extra parts are worth anything to them.

It's a beautiful machine - and a shame it hasn't seem much road time. But it sounds like you are enjoying the cars a lot these days.

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments Scud, they're much appreciated! I'll definitely get a new battery for the bike, but I don't see myself changing the engine oil or gearbox oil - I know it's almost 4 year old oil (with about 64 miles on it!), but I'm more scared to mess something up on the bike, not having been in guzzi-wrenching mode for such a long time now. I don't even remember how I used to jack the bike up back then! Pretty sad actually.

I also agree that I could do pretty well money-wise to sell the suspension and exhaust separately, and even maybe some of the carbon bits, but per my above statements, I'm not prepared to wrench on the bike to that level, especially with 6 BMWs that also need TLC, and essentially no spare garage space to safely do it in anyway. It would probably take me 4 weekends to convert it back to stock, at my slow and methodical pace. By the time I got done getting my hands dirty with the bike, I'd probably want to keep it all over again!

All-in-all, I'd really like to sell the bike as-is to somebody who's familiar with the V11 (or at least Guzzis) that can appreciate the mods, and is confident enough with the platform to refresh what's needed before riding, or just enjoy as is as a piece of static art LOL! I know you're not afraid to put the miles on man, just ribbing you! Although I know there are PLENTY of motorcycle collectors out there that have wharehouses of bikes on display and have no intention of regular riding their display pieces. I'm fine with that too.

I'll try to get a battery for it real soon, and get some gas into the tank and see what happens. It's been too long since I've heard the Quat-D! I'll take video, and some real photos of course. Only problem is that I have an 8 series BMW in the way that I'm rebuilding the engine computer on, so gotta get that done before the Guzzi can come out to play!

Selling it running is good. Easy enough, just a battery. All the fluids are fine. (If it were sitting in a cardboard shed in Madagascar four years, maybe not! :o )

This V11 is spectacularly prepared and improved. :thumbsup:

I remember selling the 1975 Honda GoldWing I had caféd. I told the guy, "I have the original handlebars." He says, "I want it the way it is."

I said, "I have the original seat." He says, "I want it the way it is."

"I have the original suspension, brakes, mirrors, lights, carb jetting, intake, exhaust."

"No," he says, "I want it the way it is."

He still owns it eighteen years later. It's the bike I sold to get the V11 Sport.

:notworthy:  chamberlin is a solid guy.  I do hope somebody gets this bike that really appreciates it.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I'm sure it is buried in the 19 pages of this thread, so my apologies; but what fender eliminator and tail light kit did you use?

Hi Al, I built my own tail light, turn-signal and license plate holder from various sources. It wasn't a kit, as I remember trying out different plates, tail lights and turn signals until I found a group of parts that worked nicely. But that was over 4 years ago now, so I have NO idea what vendors on eBay I got those parts from. Pretty sure the faux carbon fiber turn signals came from Slovenia, if it helps!

• Like 1

Heck, you're in Oro Valley? I'll be in Sabino Canyon come February... Maybe have a Goozi ride before you part with this gem. Heck, maybe I'll buy it...lol 3 V11s? I'd be as bad as Scud... ;-P

Heck, you're in Oro Valley? I'll be in Sabino Canyon come February... Maybe have a Goozi ride before you part with this gem. Heck, maybe I'll buy it...lol 3 V11s? I'd be as bad as Scud... ;-P

Hey Rox, I had no idea there were any other Tucson V11 guys on here! (or at least part time Tucson V11 guys!). We'll see how the sale process goes, and if I still have the bike in Feb, I'd certainly entertain a meetup with you! Thanks for reaching out-

• Like 1

If anybody wants to bring this bike into California, I have a swingarm with the correct emissions stickers that are needed to register an out-of-state bike in CA.

• Like 1