2003 V11 Sport Naked - serial number one?

chamberlin

That's a lot of money.

You should consider a rebuild/upgrade of your actual ZF-Sachs unit. I got a complete overhaul, a matching spring and additionally a hydro adjustable spring base for EUR 550,-

In the meantime this shock has seen another 50.000km, still working smooth and reliable.

I don't know an US based company, over here you can get this done for instance at www.hh-racetech.com

Hubert

Whew, yeah that is a lot of money (more than my Ohlins).

Seems there are some other options for the rear shock replacement in addition to the rebuild that Hubert mentions. There is a pretty recent thread where the options are detailed. I'll have a search for it later this evening unless you have found it by then.

Getting your front and rear springs specified for your weight will transform the handling.

In oz, the wilburs 640 is about $760 oz and the 641 about $1k. They are basically the same shock but the 641 has high / low speed compression adjustment. Oz prices for everything are higher compared with the us, for example the equivalent ohlins are $1400 / $1800. You guys can get oz built products sold in the us cheaper than we can buy them at the factory! ( eg pivot pegs)

Then again, we get to live in australa, so I really shouldn't complain.

Thanks again guys, for the info on my suspension options... For now, I think I'm going to just have the front forks re-sealed and see how it goes. My laundry list for this bike is growing quickly! But I've already secured some good items.

I got the Jean Marc riser bars, an original set of La Franconi CF pipes (no weight savings I'm sure, just for looks and to get rid of the faded anodized/painted stock mufflers), and as you can see below, I am experimenting with pod filters.

I was going to use the prefilter baggies, and the foam at the same time and skip on oiling the element (I hate oiled K&N filters), but aside from the red foam being gigantic and un-sightly, I think I might be pushing my luck with restricting the air. My goal is to ditch the stock airbox (because I like the accessibility it affords!) without having to use a Power Commander. I'm not trying for the king of V11 horsepower award either. Just a lightly modded and reliable V11 sport cruiser.

Here are the pics of the K&N parts I picked up ($134 worth!). Anyone need some nice giant K&N red beer coozies?

I'll have more info soon, as more parts roll in. I kinda got side-tracked the past few weeks too...just ask Docc... I decided to hack up my '07 Norge and make it into a psuedo "Naked-Norge". Not sure what forum to post that project on though...might get attacked by some purist Norge-men.

IMAG0894_zpsfdc60b4e.jpg

IMAG0896_zpsf6c88087.jpg
IMAG0895_zpsfde3c533.jpg

• 1 month later...

Finally got the bike back from the shop... forks are re-sealed and ready to go... no more puddles on the floor (well not from the V11 forks anyways! the Norge is puking from the left cylinder head as well as the oil filter area).

They had some problem locating the right seals for the 43mm Marzocchi's (as I expected), but the tech didn't appear to have too much difficulty with the rebuild (a relief). The guys at the shop all really appreciated the bike, and treated it like a special guest - and that was with the bike stripped down to non-running rolling chassis!

Other items ordered, soon to be ordered or already received:

Jean Marc risers (thank you KiloSjon!)

OEM La Franconi CF silencers

Breva 750 tail light (experiment in progress)

plastic fender eliminator from Taiwan (experiment in progress)

new faux CF Dardo turn signals from Slovenia (x4)

'Real Gaskets Tennessee' silicone rocker cover gaskets (for the Norge too!)

extra pan gaskets, upper and lower

Aprilia mirrors

Pete Roper plate

oil filters/washers

brand new OEM seat from Coppa/Cafe (thank you foggy95!)

brand new aftermarket Coppa/Cafe seat

Powermax replacement bushes for the Cardan bar

new OEM left side switchgear

used right side switch gear

used ignition switch/seat release/gas tank cap

spare blank key

Domino grips

replacement fuel line quick coupler

new grommets for the OEM CF windscreen mounts

real carbon fiber starter cover (the more intricate version)

Coppa Italia gas tank

Coppa Italia/Cafe Sport rocker covers

Coppa Italia/Cafe Sport cylinder head protectors

Still on the fence as to what to do about the gauges. I like the Koso gauges (they now make the RX2n in white), but I am still yearning for some modern (but analog) gauges, such as the super expensive Motogadget gauges. I am also looking at Acewell, Legendary and Speedhut. But I think the Motogadget ones are the classiest.

Gonna be a fun winter!

I am aghast!  :o  The most profound effort on one of these bikes in some time! I wouldn't want to speak the name of the last  ( . . . enzo . . .), but this should be a fabulous result!

Can't wait to see the outcome! :thumbsup:

Thanks docc! Much appreciated. I'm really enamored with the V11 series bikes... if I win the lottery, I'm searching out 1 of each type :) For now however, it's my duty to get this '03 back on the road!

BTW, Do you have the links to the  "enzo" build? What's the story there?

Here are some pics to keep things moving!

The infamous 'quick-connect' fittings for the tank fuel lines! Guzibits only had one, so I snatched it up. I'll probably get some more from Moto International later.

Also, the proper single use fuel line clamps are pictured.

2013-12-18192413_zps4522ca20.jpg

New left hand switchgear from Guzibits. Same form factor on the switch itself, but will need the original wire harness spliced in. It comes with a molex connector

ready to be 'pinned' according to your needs, but that connector won't mate up to the V11 receptacle. Bottom line, no more faded and sun damaged buttons.
2013-12-18192317_zpsae41c70e.jpg

A little critter crawled into the box.... I didn't know it until I already reached in and grabbed the part! I know damn well this Scorpion didn't hitch

a ride from the U.K.! We still have unusually warm temps here, but I was still surprised to see one of these just a week before Christmas.
2013-12-18191919_zpsc9cb2519.jpg
2013-12-18191911_zpsfd4d6860.jpg
2013-12-18191857_zpsc2b70ea6.jpg

I still can't believe I found a new seat!!! Thanks again foggy95! It's beautiful.
2013-12-18191739_zpsa2ce05bd.jpg

Before I discuss fun with the Jean Marc bars... Am I supposed to have two adjusters labeled "R"??? I think I read here that some other bikes

were equipped with two "C"s? but I thought that one tube was supposed to be for compression, and the other rebound? Probably just a factory screw up?

2013-12-18191654_zpsb62cfdac.jpg

I must say that the Jean Marc riser bars are 100% superfine craftsmanship...metallurgical artwork. WOW. However, dealing with the resultant geometry has been

a challenge! It's looking pretty ugly now, but I think I am going to leave it be for the time being. You can see that the clutch line now rides over the top of the left adjuster, and the break line

is routed on the outside of the right tube. I've re-used the cable-guide from the brake line and relocated it to the top of the tree (for the clutch line). A tank-on test

successfully demonstrated free cable movement and no apparent safety issues. They're both likely more free and compliant to steering input than OEM, if you can

handle the looks. For now, I don't want to replace the hydro lines with longer ones until I'm ready to flush all the systems. The throttle cable was re-routed as well,

and also was improved with less hard curves.

2013-12-18191551_zps482cbc95.jpg

Soon to be replaced reservoirs.

Headlight mounting brackets removed for re-painting.

Note, that I also lowered the front end of the bike, enough to flush-up the ring height of the Jean Marc riser bars.

I've also heard it's a good idea to lower the V11's front stance a little anyways.

2013-12-15142444_zps9e63549e.jpg

It's hard to tell, but I re-painted the faded plastic Domino cover of the throttle cable housing (the cover facing forward).

I thought about getting a replacement throttle assembly, but so far a re-paint is satisfying enough for me on that piece!

2013-12-15142341_zps12d9d0b3.jpg

• Like 2

Believe it or not we do have a few small populations of those critters in the UK. One of those populations lives in a rail station platform in Essex, for example. That said, having been to Slaithwaite in Yorkshire ('up North')... yes, you're probably right.

Old harness connector spliced into new switchgear!

2013-12-21123402_zpsae4bfa95.jpg

It was scary drilling a hole into the Jean Marc bars for the detent pin, but it's all done! Now just waiting on right side switch gear.

2013-12-21133648_zpsfdebb9dc.jpg

Carbon Fiber starter cover installed.

2013-12-21110917_zps1500c936.jpg

• Like 1

Chamberlain, re your forks. You have the same set up as me, both legs are rebound only adjstment, the nut adjusts spring preload, there is no compression adjustment. Is there any chance you could ask your fork guys if they recognise the " mystery part" in my " help with 43 mm marzochis" thread???

I definitely saw your thread....matter of fact, I emailed my shop the link to it in case it was any help to them. I didn't really talk to the tech about the rebuild, other than him saying it was easy once they got the right sized seals. But I'll go over your posts again and see if I can get some more info for you.