that bloody farking front UNI joint?

dangerous

No way that would go on my early Sport. I wonder if Guzzi simply shortened the protective collar at some point.

Mine looks to be about 65 mm long from the gearbox back. At the protective guard's most lateral side outboard, it looks about 13 mm from the swingarm.

No way that would go on my early Sport. I wonder if Guzzi simply shortened the protective collar at some point.

Mine looks to be about 65 mm long from the gearbox back. At the protective guard's most lateral side outboard, it looks about 13 mm from the swingarm.

The Scura is a 2002, which is still pretty early, right?  I just went to the garage and measured the protective collar, it is EXACTLY 65mm (you've got a heck of a good estimating-eye). However, one of us missed by a few mms on the gap between swingarm and collar. I measured 15mm - but given that the gap between those parts is at a significant angle, and it's difficult to get anything in there to measure it (and read it), I'll spot you the 2mm and call it 13mm.

So you might be in luck if you try this method.

I was thinking (hoping) maybe we found the mysterious difference why some (later) V11 can be greased and the early ones are near impossible.

Maybe not. My measurements are +/- 2 to 3 mm. I suppose the 2002 change in frame/length has to make the difference.

• 1 month later...

My 2002 seems to be well buried in the swingarm, unless I'm looking in the wrong place???

As noted in earlier posts, there are three fittings. Two are easy to get to in the back. The front one is a bugger. 

If the front one is buried in the swingarm tunnel, right behind the collar that surrounds the output from the transmission housing, and if it seems poorly placed and impossible to use, then you're looking in the right place. That's why so much energy has been devoted to grease-gun modifications (to avoid disassembly). Given my bike is also 2002, my bolt-on grease gun mod should work for you (see also earlier posts in this thread). Good luck with it.

Thanks, I was shopping for a "grease gun" without any specs the other day, dude wanted to know what fitting but "zerk" didn't mean anything to him.

Are they generally standard threads between gun, hose/nozzle pipe and opening size, or mm here and inch fractions there?

Euro bike should be all metric nipple?

Never thought about that before. I've had the same grease gun for a long time. Used it on lots of different vehicles, American and metric. So far, it has worked on everything. I think most grease guns have adjustable tips - sort of like the way many size bits fit in the same drill. My only "fail" was the "bloody farking front uni joint" - but that was because of the access clearance, not the nipple. 

I was buying plumbing supplies last week, at major player trade store, took a look at the selection of brass elbows, nothing in such small sizes, gas fittings maybe?

Never thought about that before. I've had the same grease gun for a long time. Used it on lots of different vehicles, American and metric. So far, it has worked on everything. I think most grease guns have adjustable tips - sort of like the way many size bits fit in the same drill. My only "fail" was the "bloody farking front uni joint" - but that was because of the access clearance, not the nipple.

Whatever fits - it's just grease.  I think mine took a 1/4" fitting (not certain). You can find them on Amazon. This looks like the one I got. This one looks even smaller - smaller is better. Take the pictures and the grease gun into the store. Somebody will know where to find one.

I would like to hear that this method has been successful on the short, early RedFrames or the Rosso Mandello, all of which may double your vocabulary trying for the front nipple. :angry2:

I have understood that this is a question if you have Öhlins shock at the back or not. Some years ago I saved a text from some thread at this site:
"
The Ohlins is 26 mm longer than the Sachs and has 10 mm longer stroke. Just popped into the garage to have a look and it seems that the mounting points are identical for the Ohlins and Sachs. My Ohlins bike is, in comparison to a Sachs bike, jacked up at the rear. The bike is visibly higher.

"

I don't know about the exact or valid measures but I guess there is just more room for the grease gun tip on the "Öhlins bikes".

Tip_on.JPG