that bloody farking front UNI joint?

dangerous

remove the rear wheel

Rear wheel removed, Guzzi on stand: many of us do not need to remove the wheel as stated before, "on stand" is enough. Here's a pic of the grease nipple.
Nice pic, thanks, next best thing to me investing in dental mirrors! I should get my fingertips to make sense of it now.

I found a swanky grease gun with flex hose, one handed trigger action, but it's BSP thread which is standard on grease guns here. Probably going to be some grinding of the nose to fit on as it's a porky little thing, might be 3/8 fitting, another possible explanation for the variance of ease getting on.

remove the rear wheel

Rear wheel removed, Guzzi on stand: many of us do not need to remove the wheel as stated before, "on stand" is enough. Here's a pic of the grease nipple.

Holy Cow--that thing is BARELY visible...  And we're supposed to get a grease gun fitting on that??  Another task to add to my list for this weekend... 

I think this is some kind of V11 Sport New Owner Initiation Rite. It sure baffled me at first. Do the long time members sort of enjoy watching all us newbies go through our trials?

I'm absolutely certain I've gotten grease into my front once (or twice) in 93,000 miles.  :wacko:   There is still no real discernible reason why some of the V11 (perhaps just the short frames) are so %$#%^^&& difficult. :angry2:

Next time my swingarm is off, I'll be making a generous relief cut in the safety collar.

I wondering the purpose of the collar.

Stopping a fragged U joint piece from going through your balls? Vital.

Stopping stray boot laces from sucking you into the works. Pretty handy.

Catching the drive shaft if the joint falls apart, preventing suspension tangling in it. Bonus?

Containing slung off grease. Gimme some of that.

• Haha 1

I figure it is to contain the shaft in the event the front U-joint frags, *possibly* preventing a rear wheel lock-up. :o

As such, I'm reluctant to delete mine.

I also just noticed how our right foot/ankle rides just centimeters from that stressed, spinning mass.

In the old muscle cars/hot rods we would call that a "scatter shield."

My parts manual calls it the "Front Protection."

I wondering the purpose of the collar.

Stopping a fragged U joint piece from going through your balls? Vital.

Stopping stray boot laces from sucking you into the works. Pretty handy.

Catching the drive shaft if the joint falls apart, preventing suspension tangling in it. Bonus?

Containing slung off grease. Gimme some of that.

Looks like : "All of the Above."

I wonder how much i can mill off of it and the collar still function?

remove the rear wheel

Holy Cow--that thing is BARELY visible...  And we're supposed to get a grease gun fitting on that??  Another task to add to my list for this weekend... 

I think this is some kind of V11 Sport New Owner Initiation Rite. It sure baffled me at first. Do the long time members sort of enjoy watching all us newbies go through our trials?

Agreed.  Some nefarious rite of initiation.... Still, this is actually my second Guzzi, so scaring me off isn't working :)

I'm going to give greasing it a go this weekend.  I don't exactly have tiny hands or a surgeon's precision, so I'll see how it goes...

remove the rear wheel

Agreed.  Some nefarious rite of initiation.... Still, this is actually my second Guzzi, so scaring me off isn't working :)

I'm going to give greasing it a go this weekend.  I don't exactly have tiny hands or a surgeon's precision, so I'll see how it goes...

I hear the faint peel of drums in the hills  .  .  .  :thing:  . . . it always starts good . . . then . . .

The Annoying Thing happens!

It occurred to me the rear U joint nipple is probably in the same orientation to the crux / shaft as the the front, when nipple is bottom side, might help visualising.

Guess or fact?  Inquiring minds want to know... lol!  

remove the rear wheel

I hear the faint peel of drums in the hills  .  .  .  :thing:  . . . it always starts good . . . then . . .

The Annoying Thing happens!

LOL!  I'm praying mine goes smoother than most... 

It occurred to me the rear U joint nipple is probably in the same orientation to the crux / shaft as the the front, when nipple is bottom side, might help visualising.

Guess or fact?  Inquiring minds want to know... lol!

It's purely a guess. You need to have eyeballed both to know. About all my finger can tell me is there is a greasy bump in there.