Odyssey PC545 Battery conditioning

docc

Recently, I put my fourth battery in the Sport at 'almost' 93,000 miles/ 150.000 km. In all fairness, I would probably be on my second, but I use the bikes' to step down batteries into my lawn and garden tractors as they require. Tractor battery plays up? Bike gets a new juicer.

The battery that just played up in "swampee" the Cub Cadet was nine years old and came out of the Sport 4 1/2 years ago.

DSCN1938.jpg

The "new" PC545 came directly from Odyssey with a May 2014 manufacturing date (seven months old) and came at 75% charge (~12.5 vDC). Odyssey recommends charging when voltage is below ~85% (12.65v).

My selection of 10amp, 2 amp, and 1.5 amp chargers are not ideally matched to the AGM requirements. The "correct" charger appears to cost about $150US + taxes and shipping. I'll have to get by with what I have, for now.

First, I brought the charge up using 10 amps to no more than 15v (less than a minute) and followed with a 2 amp charge for 4 hours .

Two days later, the battery had fallen to ~85% (12.65v). Four hours at 2amps/13.2v restored the charge. Two days later: back down to  ~85% . . . repeat.  (Note that Odyssey recommends 2amp maintenance at 13.5-13.8 volts which will NOT charge the battery, only maintain it. Charging occurs at 14.2-14.7v and "at least" 6 amps.

Basically, after initially charging the battery aggressively (from 75%), and immediately recharging it from ~85% twice, it has held the charge for a week (well, 6 1/2 days) and happily gives the magic number:

DSCN2263.jpg

So, a couple things are to be known: 1) watch your charge voltages very carefully and follow Odyssey's amp/volt recommendations, 2) don't just put a new battery in without "conditioning" it if it is below 12.65v.

• Like 1

That's interesting, just got another Odyssey under warranty. I've been having trouble starting and checked my voltage.... 12.08v at the battery. Seems to get a pretty good charge (14.2+) at 3k rpms.

So you 're saying that if I didn't condition my battery it won't charge past a certain level?

hmm....... just had a new Odyssey installed in my Sport during all the fuel pump business, finally got it done and I tried to pick up the bike today and it battery was dead.  

Merry XMas

Ha - yeah, I thought my ECU is right-side-up and everyone else's is inverted! :rolleyes:

Czakky: 12.08 v is an AGM at 43%. Use Odyssey's guidelines for time and specified voltages to bring the battery up to full charge. Then, monitor as the voltage drops back to ~85% (12.65 v) and recharge. Repeat until it holds.

Odyssey has special advice for V-twin motorcycle applications (low amp charging/single phase stator) that is likely for the H-D, but may also apply to us. This includes leaving the lights on, after the motor is off, for 30 seconds before beginning the charging and using a "float charger" to compensate for parasitic loads while in storage.  They also warn against exceeding 15 volts charging.

interesting post Docc, fitted an Odyssey 1000 mls ago, found out it was only made 10 mls up the road in Newport!, anyway the bike fires up just fine. haven't ridden for 8 days- last ride temperatures near freezing- just checked the voltage 12.58, charger on order I hope i haven't damaged the battery it wasn't cheap!!

I'm (reasonably) sure it's not damaged. But once it's up to full charge, watch it to drop back to ~85% (12.65v) and immediately discharge, then charge it. Repeat until it holds.

My PC545 is 10 days out and holding 12.78v.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

was able to start my new Odyssey battery last week when it warmed up to 45ºF.  Rode around 15 miles or so.  I was relieved because when I first intended to pick up the bike it was dead.  The mechanic charged it over night and I rode it straight home.   Then it set for a couple of weeks until I ran it.

As a benchmark, my (new) PC545 was delivered at 75% (12.5 volts). The complicated charge I detailed above held three weeks at about 60˚F/16˚C before falling back to ~85% (12.65 volts).

After 36 hours on 13.25 volt/ 1.5 amp charging (slightly low voltage/amperage for Odyssey recommendations), it is perfectly 12.84 volts after 3 days.

I'm just trying to learn here, and share. But #1) don't let your PC545 fall below ~85% (12.65v) before bringing it back up. #2) don't leave your PC545 on a trickle charger all the time - take it off, discharge it (lights on 30 seconds to three minutes), and recharge it (14.2- 14.7 volts, then ~13.5 overnight).

If your PC545 is going flat (like 12.5 volts), use the higher amperage charging with the voltage limits Odyssey specifies (maximum 15 volts, "no amperage limit").

"Maintenance free?"  - - - - I don't think so, really. :luigi:

• 4 weeks later...

Good advice and thanks for the info doc! I'm looking to replace the original opti spark this spring and the pc545 was at the top of the list. The original has been stellar now 11 years old, but alas she suffers from very low voltage.

Ssshhh, I have been trying to convince Roberto in Caracas that his ECU is upside-down, He has an intermittent fault that cuts back on when he moves the wires at the plug.

My theory is pressure from the seat has caused the circuit board to crack.

The previous owner spliced a different plug onto the loom.

Roy

Is an Optimate no good for these. Just bought one (battery) so don't want to damage it

That is an excellent question! I don't see specific voltage parameters for their product - so you'll have to monitor voltages/ amperage to be confident it is compatible with Odyssey's recommendations.

I see they claim a "desulfation program", but recall Hubert (luhbo) had concerns about these protocols for the AGM. (I don't mean to speak for Hubert - I have learned much from his posts about these batteries).

At over 100 US$, it seems better to get the Odyssey charger unless you already have one of these. (In that case, it's all about monitoring voltages).