Odyssey PC545 Battery conditioning

docc

Phil, tell us how it works for you.  I've been interested in getting a unit that does the CCA test, so would love to hear if you like this one, and if so, the brand/model.

cheers

6 hours ago, Gmc28 said:

Phil, tell us how it works for you.  I've been interested in getting a unit that does the CCA test, so would love to hear if you like this one, and if so, the brand/model.

cheers

Its an Ancel BA301. Seems comprehensive and they do software updates apparently. If you select Motorcycle battery it lists a ton of different types by p/n but the Odyssey doesn't come up so I just selected Car battery and manually entered the type and CCA. I've had a few car batteries fail over the years the last one 18 months ago fortunately in the driveway. When this happens the modern electronics go mental and there isn't any warning like the old days when as the battery aged you got slower cranking etc which gave you some warning. Now they just work until they don't, so I decided to get one of these and monitor battery condition in my vehicles and change them before they drop their bundle. Voltage checks alone aren't an accurate indication of battery health.

Ciao   

• Like 1

I've got a similar Ancel unit and it seems to work well. Do check that the crocodile clips are firmly attached to the Odyssey battery terminals/bolts. Maybe it's a 'one off', but I was getting varied condition info. when I connected to the bolt heads. Maybe the threads of the terminals are 'generous', but the best contact is on the threads of the bolt, with the clips 'pulling' on the bolts. I was almost convinced that my pc545 was on the way out until I spotted this.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

12.63 after  charging the battery?  I connect an old headlamp, and just leave it on say 20min. I use and older 8amp analog charger who will pass 15V, so I have my m meter connected and stop the charging at 14.98V. Then another 6amp charger ment for AGM. A couple of times with that procedure seems to do good.

Cheers Tom.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, thumper said:

Ok so my Odyssey just got to 12.63V 

So 3 min discharge,then charge at 15 volts 6 amp

For how long? Thanks  

What TomChri said.

Just to clarify, @thumper, your PC545 statically (just sitting) dropped to 12.63v ? Perfect time to charge!

As Tom noted start by a discharge (I just turn the bike's hi beam on and watch until the voltage stabilizes.) A good battery will not be much less than 12.0. Below mid 11s would be concerning.

Then yes "at least" 6 amps until the voltage rises to no mare than 15.0v.

"Rinse & repeat" a couple times, as TomChri has said. :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys I put a load tester on it for 5 seconds that dropped the voltage.

Dont have the number it dropped to as it was still moving.

Got it charged and will see how it goes.

Odd thing voltage to the battery @ 4000 RPM 14.92

Is that 2 high? My kawasaki is always between 13.9    14.1

Thanks

35 minutes ago, thumper said:

Odd thing voltage to the battery @ 4000 RPM 14.92

Is that 2 high? 

12 minutes ago, docc said:

Yep, charging too high. Should be 13.8-14.2.

I think it is important to make the grounding of the regulator to the frame/engine/battery perfect.

• Like 2