Odyssey PC545 Battery conditioning

docc

• 3 months later...

Apologies if this is covered somewhere in the preceding 19 pages, but has anyone else had trouble physically fitting the Odyssey PC545 in their battery tray?

In the photo below, you can see verrrry thin (thinner than a credit card) strips of plastic wedged between the corners of the battery and the frame to protect both.  Those pieces of plastic are in there TIGHT!

So the battery "fits" in mine, but it is incredibly tight and the bottom corners of the battery are squeezed up against the frame of the motorcycle.  I don't like that for two reasons:  1)  I don't really want the paint rubbed off the frame.   2)  More importantly, I don't want that kind of stress on the battery body.   ...and of course it bothers me that the battery just doesn't quite fit.

So the real question is this whether this is some oddity with my motorcycle, or others have had similar experience, and if so what you did?

I'm not married to using this battery, so I guess a secondary question is what other brands and models of batteries are working out well for others?

AWR-PC545-battery-tight-fit.jpg

• Sad 1

You are correct Al, They are  very tight. Mine has the "credit card" clearance on both sides at the corners but  I wonder if Odyssey cases are held to exact tolerances.  With the rubber tray and strap on mine, it doesn't move at all.

Paul B:bier:

• Thanks 1

I’m a big fan of the odyssey, and use it in multiple bikes.  But that crowded fitment eats at me, as it can be so tedious to get it in and out.  So one of my v11’s has a li-ion just to achieve comfort with the fitment, knowing I could easily access/remove it on the road if needed.

not wanting to start yet another a li-ion +/- debate, just saying that I prefer odyssey batteries and use them, but have li-ions in a couple bikes just to make my life easier. (So far no let-downs from the li-ion, but haven’t seen if they’ll last 10 yrs like my odysseys.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I use Lithium batteries in 5 of my 7 bikes. The Shorai in my V7 lasted something like 7-8 years! Their small size allows them to fit anywhere, and doesn't matter what end is up! Regardless of brand, these batteries all ship with self monitoring overcharge circuitry, very safe. I've never had a problem.

I'm adding to this thread now to let you know about my most recent purchase, NOCO. Even prior to opening the box of this 1.5 lbs battery I was so impressed. The packaging is incredible, over the top. Being in marketing, I understand what goes into boxes, manual, etc. I literally saved everything, not sure why, but it was too nice to dump. 

The battery itself, being used for my Dual Sport spins it right up. I'll be considering this brand again next time I'm in need.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, al_roethlisberger said:

Apologies if this is covered somewhere in the preceding 19 pages, but has anyone else had trouble physically fitting the Odyssey PC545 in their battery tray?

In the photo below, you can see verrrry thin (thinner than a credit card) strips of plastic wedged between the corners of the battery and the frame to protect both.  Those pieces of plastic are in there TIGHT!

So the battery "fits" in mine, but it is incredibly tight and the bottom corners of the battery are squeezed up against the frame of the motorcycle.  I don't like that for two reasons:  1)  I don't really want the paint rubbed off the frame.   2)  More importantly, I don't want that kind of stress on the battery body.   ...and of course it bothers me that the battery just doesn't quite fit.

So the real question is this whether this is some oddity with my motorcycle, or others have had similar experience, and if so what you did?

I'm not married to using this battery, so I guess a secondary question is what other brands and models of batteries are working out well for others?

AWR-PC545-battery-tight-fit.jpg

IIRC the Extreme series comes in a steel case. It's the same battery inside the case and can be removed. It's held in with a silicone type goo. I bought one once thinking it might be "better" and like yours, was too big. I just popped it out.

4 minutes ago, footgoose said:

IIRC the Extreme series comes in a steel case. It's the same battery inside the case and can be removed. It's held in with a silicone type goo. I bought one once thinking it might be "better" and like yours, was too big. I just popped it out.

It is the PC545 MJ (Metal Jacket) that has the metal case.

FWIW, Odyssey looks to be changing the nomenclature:

PC545 = ODS-AGM15L

PC545MJ = ODS-AGM 15MJ

The MJ is one pound heavier and 0.10 inches longer and wider (same height).

The "Extreme" series are ODX prefix, but I am not seeing the 15L in that current series:

https://www.odysseybattery.com/extreme-series-battery-specifications/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LaGrasta said:

I use Lithium batteries in 5 of my 7 bikes. The Shorai in my V7 lasted something like 7-8 years! Their small size allows them to fit anywhere, and doesn't matter what end is up! Regardless of brand, these batteries all ship with self monitoring overcharge circuitry, very safe. I've never had a problem.

I'm adding to this thread now to let you know about my most recent purchase, NOCO. Even prior to opening the box of this 1.5 lbs battery I was so impressed. The packaging is incredible, over the top. Being in marketing, I understand what goes into boxes, manual, etc. I literally saved everything, not sure why, but it was too nice to dump. 

The battery itself, being used for my Dual Sport spins it right up. I'll be considering this brand again next time I'm in need.

Hrmm, I have some of Noco's other charger products, which are very nice.

The pricing on the batteries is reasonable too.  May have to look into these :bike:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, docc said:

It is the PC545 MJ (Metal Jacket) that has the metal case.

FWIW, Odyssey looks to be changing the nomenclature:

PC545 = ODS-AGM15L

PC545MJ = ODS-AGM 15MJ

The MJ is one pound heavier and 0.10 inches longer and wider (same height).

The "Extreme" series are ODX prefix, but I am not seeing the 15L in that current series:

https://www.odysseybattery.com/extreme-series-battery-specifications/

Yeah I was wrong about Extreme. I have 3 545's and they all say that, even the one that came in the metal jacket.

Going by the pictures, mine all have a black case and have structural ribs, like on the website. Al's looks like the metal case in the pic. @al_roethlisbergeris your case plastic or metal?

• Thanks 1

On 2/3/2023 at 2:52 PM, footgoose said:

Yeah I was wrong about Extreme. I have 3 545's and they all say that, even the one that came in the metal jacket.

Going by the pictures, mine all have a black case and have structural ribs, like on the website. Al's looks like the metal case in the pic. @al_roethlisbergeris your case plastic or metal?

My case is the orange plastic case, not metal.

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Once again, thanks to this forum I did not replace my Yuasa battery yesterday with another Yuasa.

The best deal I can find on a PC545 is $250 and 2 weeks shipping.

I'm not waiting 2 weeks.

The Canadian thing is a problem. Even Odyssey Canada no longer stocks it.

I just put the old Yuasa back in, along with some lightweight jumper cables. We'll see how it goes.

40 minutes ago, Art said:

The Canadian thing is a problem. Even Odyssey Canada no longer stocks it.

I just put the old Yuasa back in, along with some lightweight jumper cables. We'll see how it goes.

Look for this Hawker Odyssey nomenclature change:

ODS-AGM15L

https://www.odysseybattery.com/products/ods-agm15l-battery-pc545/

[edit: Last four posts moved here for clarity and continuity.]

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1