Turn key and no anything -- all fuses and relays fine

griswoia

Ok my 02 v11 was being ridden in February cold. I pulled her out of the garage and tried to start her up. A few bursts of slow cranking and then nothing. All lights go Out. No burning smell and dash lights, nothing.I figure it's a fuse, put her in the garage and wait until good weather to dive in.I've tested all fuses and relays and they are fine. I have spare batteries and that's fine.The thing is I get zero, no lights when I turn the switch. I've pulled the tank and all connectors seem good. Pulled ignition switch and checked it, seems good, getting 12v on two outer pins of the connector. Checked run switch seems good.Are there any trouble shooting guides for the ecu? How about the relay brick? I have no idea what relay does what...No burnt wires, no bad fuses, connectors good... I'm completely open to suggestions.--Ian

I would try in this order:

Battery ground

Try a new battery

Check bullet connectors under the tank on the left front side. (test by turning bars side to side while trying to start)

Check relays, relay contacts (see below)

Ignition switch, check for good contact

mg_relays-2.jpg

If there is no tail light, "city" light, or instrument illumination, the fault is before the relays. Think ignition switch or perhaps the battery itself.

You took the ignition switch completely apart and looked at the wires inside (common failure point)?

What is the battery voltage?

(And as JBBenson says, main battery ground.)

Ignition switch, everything was shiny and well connected. I pulled the two bullet connectors apart and cleaned, but they looked fine. What do they connect to? Battery is 12.7v but I've put a booster pack with no change. Bike only have 17k miles on it and only garaged so no real dirt or corrosion issues. So issues before the ignition switch? Troubleshooting steps/ideas?

Ground should be good as I was using the tank rubber mount bolts as a negative ground point.

To be clear. Turn the switch and no clicks no lights no nothing. Turn to parking position and again no lights.

12.7v. I've swapped batteries as well as attached a booster battery just to make sure it's not the battery. Plus I'm not getting dim lights. I'm getting no lights. But I'll pull the new one out of my triumph tomorrow. If not battery then?

Ground should be good as I was using the tank rubber mount bolts as a negative ground point.

Wait - you still have the main battery ground cable to the back right of the gearbox?

Did you actually pry the ignition switch apart and look at the soldered connections inside?

Unsure about the ground, but seems good. Yes prayed open the ignition switch and solders are all fine.

Total power loss . . . sometimes a battery will show good voltage until a load is applied, then short to near nothing. Does the battery stay 12.7 with the key and switches on?

Otherwise, if the battery had been out for any reason, I would think one of the terminals did not get put back on the stack.

Start with the simple stuff.

You did scrape the terminals and apply some Vaseline? This is the first thing to do when installing a battery.

Connect the Positive terminal first then Negative (this main ground wire should connect to the rear of the gearbox, not to the frame)

There should be about 3 wires on each battery post, sometimes one falls down out of sight, e.g. the one going to the fuse block.

Some batteries have an insert in the terminal post, if it does remove that and scrape around inside, apply Vaseline there.

We will assume the battery checks ok at this point.

Connect the Negative probe of Voltmeter to chassis or an engine bolt, under a screw if you can, Not to the battery.

Touch the positive probe to battery + it should read 12 Volts

If not, Turn key On

Touch the Positive lead to battery - it should not read anything or go Negative.

If it does you have a bad ground connection.

All great ideas, I've done most but will repeat when the Motorcycle COOP opens this morning.

This might help

pdf.gif  Guzzy_Wiring May 16 2010.pdf   65.24KB

So you see every one of the fuses has 12 Volts on, it's not always at the same end though

Note how there are several wires from the battery to the fuse block.

If you don't find 12 Volts at any of the fuses and not at the battery Positive I would suspect a bad ground.