swing arm removal

dangerous

all right, them farking Iti's designed a engine were to replace the slave cyl for the clutch... ya gota remove the swing arm... hows it done guys? 

wheels out I see the lower shock bolt and them big bastards on the pork chops... now what?

That's it really, take out the rear torque arm bolt and slide the bevel box off, remove the rear shock bolt, while it's off grease the front UJ, when refitting the pivot pins get them even each side, tighten them finger tight up to the bearings so there's no side play in the swingarm 

Measure, first, how much the threaded portion of the pivots stand proud of the pork chops. They are probably not symmetrical.

Otherwise, you'll have to center the rear tire to the front on re-assembly.

Plan on servicing the swingarm bearings while it is out.

Jack under the sump, carve out a stick of 4 x 2 to fit snug the sump and header pipes.

I added a chain fall (ratchet strap) to the rear tank mount for extra measure.

• 1 month later...

well that was a piece a piss, cant believe them wee pivot bolts is all that holds it togeather... and the last time I disconected a rear shock was my CX500 turbo and it was under load the V11 was as free as.

new thread here http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19101&hl= now as there is a new issue... of course "sigh"

When you replace the swingarm bearings , remove the dust shield of one side of the bearing and fill it completely w/wheel bearing grease . Put the dust shield back on and install this side in away from the outside of the bike. .Roller bearings come w/just enough grease to not rust. This bearing is not going to roll but pivot a few degrees throughout it's lifetime so grease is going to make it last from now on. 

When you are ready to install the pivot pins grind a bevel or taper on them so they will go through and into the bore of the bearing easily. If you crossthread these pins , just remove the swingarm and screws them from the inside out to clean up the threads .

Good luck & keep us posted !

Good tip, threading the pivot pins in from the inside.

My old uncle, a plumber taught me to start large threads by turning slowly backwards until you feel them click off the end of thread then go forward because the threads are lined up.

Sent from my shoe phone!

• Like 2