Best Install Method - Garmin Zumo 660 on '02 Le Mans?

Bob Hartman

My excellent father's day gift was a Garmin Zumo 660. These units been around awhile so I'm hoping someone here has come up with the best way to mount one on a V11 Le Mans. (I searched the fora, but came up empty).

Photos of your GPS install (any sort, really) would be great to see!

I use the same Garmin 60-series (a handheld) in a cradle on multiple motorcycles and my mountain bike. I use the RAM mounting system. You just attach a RAM ball to the handlebars with a C-clamp or get one that screws into a mirror mount hole - or any number of other mounting options.  Your LeMans should have two unused mirror mounts.  Then you need an arm and a cradle that is specific to your GPS unit.  These are available on Amazon, GPS City, and other sites.

I like the RAM system because it's pretty common and super durable. I rented a bike recently, which had a RAM ball on it. Therefore I was able to use my own GPS (which also runs on batteries).

Garmin (and aftermarket suppliers) make special wires that power the GPS. My 60 series can be powered through a specialized plug or a USB cable. I use the special plug on my dirt bike and a USB port on my V11. The USB connection vibrates out or looses connection sometimes, which causes the unit to restart. I'll probably put one of the special wires on soon, because it stays connected.

"GPS - take me to tacos..."

IMG_3189.jpg

Thanks for that.  As you say, there are unused mirror mounts and I've been using one to attach my Garmin Quest 2.  I can get away with that because it is quite a bit smaller unit than the zumo 660.  Now things have changed!

The challenge now is the best way to get the larger GPS closer to the center and at a distance closer to the speedo and tach:  Less searching and refocusing.  The wiring of it doesn't bother me; it comes with a fused line and I know where to pick up switched hots.
http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af259/bevelbob/IMG_0719_zpsbjyj8uy5.jpg~original

I'm not sure why it seems more natural to me to have the GPS (ZUMO 550) on the left - maybe 'cause I wasn't using the Veglia speedo at the time . . . :whistle:

IMG_0065.jpg

Garmin mount detail on an early Sport:

IMG_4386.jpg

While the Garmin 60 series is, perhaps, the most versatile product they've ever made :thumbsup: , the 660 is a much larger device meant for mounting like the 550.

If you prize the little chrome cap out of the center of the steering head you could mount a pretty decent bracket off there.

Kiwi Roy- That's what I just did.  Bought the kit off Amazon #x0006PUVQD which mounts on the steering head nut. Also bought the RAM mount attachments so the GPS is mounted more towards the center between the gauges but still allows access to the ignition key.  I will try to get the photos uploaded here in a few. 

Kiwi Roy- That's what I just did.  Bought the kit off Amazon #x0006PUVQD which mounts on the steering head nut. Also bought the RAM mount attachments so the GPS is mounted more towards the center between the gauges but still allows access to the ignition key. 

I look forward to seeing that.  Looked for that number on Amazon but came up empty. If you have any other references, it would be great.

Cant get the photos to upload but here are the part numbers for the items I used to mount my gps:

1- RAM B 342U - Handlebar mount kit (actually uses long screw and hardware to mount to steering stem nut)

2- RAM B 238 - Diamond base w/ 1" ball - needed to connect mounting arm to gps cradle

3- RAM B 201U A - Short double socket arm for 1" dia. mount balls - you can use a longer socket arm depending on the size and where you wish to position the gps or device 

You will also need an appropriate cradle for your particular brand/make and model gps. Be advised RAM uses 1" munt balls which are not compatible with other brand cradle mounts.  You will also need the appropriate power cord for your particular brand gps.  I wired mine into the pilot light on the headlight using the yellow and black wires. This will turn the power off to the unit when the ignition is switched "off".  I plan on making a cover for the plug of the power source cable to prevent it from shorting out against metal objects when it is not plugged into the gps and the ignition is "on".  Feel free to send me a PM and I will gladly text you the photos of mine.  Hope this helps

Jerry

http://rs36.pbsrc.com/albums/e22/jdavis10291/0622151358a%20gps%20mount_zpsbcucimvh.jpg~c200?t=1435264389

Jet- I was able to gently pry the center cap off the steering stem nut using a very small screw driver.  I then loosened the socket head screws on the right of the stem.  This allowed me to remove the stem head nut.  I then assembled the mount bracket assembly using the long screw provided and re-installed the stem head nut onto the steering stem. After centering the mount bracket I tightened everything down. The whole job took less than one hour. 

Jerry 

Thanks JRD. Whoever screwed on the stem head bit must have used lock tight or had the power of Thor at his disposal. Im only assuming cause I know the front end was reworked right before I bought the bike. Ended up using a special bit to remove stripped pieces. It was almost like a twisted Robertson head. Anyways, it is out, and the plug is on order! 

Thanks for the fine guidance.  I'm going the steering head route as suggested by Kiwi Roy and with great detail and photos from Jerry.  Of course, prying the cap off the center stem already is a flaming issue, even though I've removed the 6mm hex nut tightener and spread the gapa touch.  I'd rather not bugger up the cap - but it's looking unavoidable.  I'll get there in the end.   

I never much cared for the Ram mounting system.

I have bought two mounts from these guys.

http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/1735/Zumo-GPS-Mounts

They offer locking mounts. They work with the Ram mounting system but they are work with a 1/2" crossbar mount. They don't offer a bike specific 1/2" crossbar for a Guzzi but they do have a couple universal options that should be workable.

Unscrewed (!) the cap - not pried - and installed the Ram mount.  I'm having a difficult time getting it to bulge inside the tube to grab tight.  This is simply because the mount mechanism, through which the bolt passes, is threaded.  This limits the amount of take-up by the bolt;  it just running out of turns by catching tight in the top mount.  The solution is to drill out the top piece, near as I can tell - but will do more testing tomorrow.

Bob- it sounds to me like you need a longer piece of the cone shaped rubber portion of the mount under the "crowned stem head nut".  If you can no longer use the cone shaped rubber provided in the kit, try a piece of 5/16" dia. fuel line hose aprox. 3/4"-1" long under the crown stem head nut and above the black plastic locking washer.  That should take up the space needed to tighten the assembly.  I hand tightened the entire assembly prior to installing it into the stem head tube,  THEN installed it into the stem tube.  This required using channel locks to carefully tighten the stem crown nut. After tightening the pinch bolts on the triple clamp I positioned the RAM ball mount where I wanted it and used the small allen head wrench to finish tightening the assembly.   Hope this helps.

Jerry