Parts Bike

Scud

I posted the ad for this bike on our Craigslist thread recently. Then I went and got it.

02+LeMans+Parts+Bike%2FIMG_3833.jpg

This one has 12,000 miles on it and does appear to have been well-cared for and unmodified (manuals all wrapped in plastic with some paperwork in the tail). It's just dirty and the engine paint is peeling. But it didn't crash well, the front end is a total loss and the steering head started to separate from the bent spine frame. The impact jammed the tank holder through the inside of the tank - this one could have ended in a fireball.

IMG_3834.jpg

The bike impacted on both sides - and amazingly the heads both look good. The stock head guards held on the left, but ripped off on the right. Both spark plugs are bent - which again demonstrates the value of the larger, aftermarket guards. Incredibly, given the front end damage, the gauges and all related parts are still perfect.

The battery took a charge and the engine cranks easily. Tranny goes through all the gears smoothly (on stand rotating by hand with plugs out). 

I paid $1,400. I figure the flywheel and clutch are worth about $650 to me (If I don't get the RAM unit to replace the single-plate on the Scura). I want a few other bits and I am concerned about the starter and oil pump on my LeMans - or maybe I have a worse problem with a worn engine and might want some other internals.

I was curious about the cause of the crash and the guy I got it from didn't know (he won it auction in Indiana and had it delivered to California). However, I noticed a brand new rear tire - like no signs of wear. The front has some nasty, old, cracked tire and the rim is bent - so I assume the new front tire was damaged in the crash. A likely explanation is trying to corner without getting the new tires scrubbed in - a good reminder.

It's going to be a little while till I start ripping into it, but if you have a need for something let me know. I'll place a proper classified ad later when I figure what I want to keep and what I want to sell. Docc's first on the list for flywheel and clutch if I don't need it.  :)

I know seat cowls are hard to come by - and so are carbon-fiber dash panels, stock fenders, airboxes, ECUs, foot levers, etc. Happy to let you guys have first shot at this bike before I go to e-bay.

I'm curious about the owner's manual Scud. Is it for a LeMans? I mean, does it say LeMans on the cover? My Tenni came with a Sport manual with no reference to a LM. Only pics of Sport's inside the cover. Harper's told me everything applies the same. If it is for a LM, and you want to sell it, let me know. If yes,... I will have a perfect condition Sport owner manual to sell/trade. :whistle:

Well, I'm not sure if this is a "score" or not, but thanks. It was a bit more than I wanted to pay. But the guy claimed he had an offer for $1,000 just for the engine, complete driveline, and electrical (including ECU) - for somebody doing a project. That actually seemed reasonable, so I ponied up a bit more.

At a minimum, I'll end up with the parts I want for a decent price. If I sell enough bits to get my money back, then my parts are free. Maybe I can even pocket a little play money out of it.

The main driver for me is to have a complete, twin-plate clutch for the Scura - one from a same-year LeMans should swap out without any compatibility problems and I should not have to worry at all about missing parts.

But those 2002 silver porkchops are in much better shape (and more attractive) than the dark grey porkchops on the 2003 LeMans (lots of chips in the paint). And I can replace all the bolts the PO rounded off.... Oh what fun.... but first I probably need to fill a couple trash cans with the mangled bits.

PMs sent re above parts.

Question: Is there any value in a gas tank that's been punctured? For example, there's been a lot of talk about fabricating aluminum tanks. I would be happy to donate this tank to a fabricator as a sample if somebody can make the connection.

I think you've done well there.  You'll have the clutch, as you say.  The Flywheel, pressure plate and starter ring are very expensive if you have to source them new, and they should be in good condition at that mileage.  The engine and  gearbox should make you your purchase price back. 

If you have the storage space, it's reassuring to have a handy source of parts as and when they are needed.  There was a crashed bike like yours on Ebay in the UK recently, with far fewer salvageable parts, for £1850 (approx. $2800).

Simon

• Like 1

It lives!!! 

I was able to fire it up and let it idle for a minute - no fluid leakage, fire, or other "bad acts." Knowing that it runs makes me feel better about the price - and I can truthfully claim that anything I sell is from a bike that is known to run.

It didn't sound very good though, I think the LH exhaust is a bit restricted.

IMG_3850.jpg

My rationalization super-powers have almost justified the purchase price with parts I intend to keep - anchored by the flywheel/clutch components, but recently buttressed by $120 future savings because of the new Metzeler Sportec M3 rear tire (date code 1012).

The PO kept notes of service. Two services in 12,000 miles. Sounds right to me.

If you want something, shoot me a PM - I'll gladly take lower than "market" prices for members here. Here are a few bits that I think are fairly hard to find, and are in good shape:

• Airbox and lid
  • Shift lever
  • Rear brake lever
  • Instrument pod cover
  • Rear hugger and end-caps for swing-arm

Thanks Noble... I'll do that when I get a little more organized... and after I decide what to keep... and after everybody here has had a chance to get what they want. Since some parts are really hard to find, it just seems right to offer them up here first - to the, shall we say, "enthusiasts" from whom I've learned so much.

Meanwhile, let's have a quiz.  Does anybody recognize this rear bracket?  Perhaps for some type of saddle bags or top case? Moto Guzzi or aftermarket?

IMG_3864.jpg

Bike is totally disassembled now - except that I have still not split the engine/tranny to extract the flywheel and dual plate clutch (which was one of main reasons for getting this bike in the first place). Her starter found a new home in my '03 LeMans and it cured my hesitant starting issue. The LeMans is going to get some cosmetic upgrades too - including the rear wheel as soon as I burn off the current tire.  :sun:

@Rox - great to meet you today. Thanks again for the help getting the frame off the motor. I'm glad we were able to get you what you need to get your LeMans road-worthy.  :race:

• Like 1

B.T.W.

Do not discard anything from this bike unless it is totally demolished . try to categorize everything and box it up w/part #s if possible. You never know how valuable this will become to you and others in the future .

B.T.W.

Do not discard anything from this bike unless it is totally demolished . try to categorize everything and box it up w/part #s if possible. You never know how valuable this will become to you and others in the future .

Thanks - good advice. I have looked at a few parts and thought "nobody's going to want this..." nearly binned them, but held onto them anyway. When I worked as a dismantler in a Z-car shop (high-school job), they wanted me to keep everything unless it was crumpled, shattered, or otherwise FUBAR.  Almost everything from the front was destroyed beyond repair - for example the forks were bent so badly they won't even move, but still I thought somebody might want the adjusters/caps, which are pristine. I'm not sure how to tell if the triple clamps are good. One of the pinch bolts was actually bent (lower triple clamp), although the bolts came out easy from the top clamp.

It's sort of funny - I happened upon a dead BMW RT on Craigslist recently, which I dismantled and am continuing to part out - and now this V11. By comparison, taking the BMW apart was like an autopsy:  clinical, impersonal, find out why it died. Taking the V11 apart felt more like hospice care:  easing her last days and letting her know nothing would go to waste.

This was a tricky disassembly too - the headstock on the frame twisted and nearly severed, so the front wheel's contact patch was about a foot to the right of the bike's center line. I could not use a rear or front wheel stand, because it wouldn't balance securely. I had to hang it from a beam in my garage.

My camping trailer smells like motorcycle parts...  :food: