What did you do to your V11 today?

Scud

I haven't needed or used any gasket goo yet. I did start using a hose clamp on the filter. Easy add for peace of mind.

Stugnu --- what is a jubilee clip?

Same potatoes mate. I think ‘jubilee clip’ might be the english way of saying hose clamp? Kinda like ‘rose joint’ is the english way of saying heim joint...

Gasket dry.

Hose clamp on filter......but mostly for myself.........making sure I don't get lazy and replace it the correct way next time.....dropping the pan.

• Like 1

I haven't needed or used any gasket goo yet. I did start using a hose clamp on the filter. Easy add for peace of mind.

Stugnu --- what is a jubilee clip?

Same potatoes mate. I think ‘jubilee clip’ might be the english way of saying hose clamp? Kinda like ‘rose joint’ is the english way of saying heim joint...

Yep !

ryland3210 posted some excellent investigation on the amount of tightening necessary to adequately deform the filter gasket/seal on a variety of filters. His conclusion was one and one eighth (1 1/8) turns from gasket contact. Oil filter seals should always have a smear of oil on them.

(FWIW: 3,5 liter = 3.7 US quart) :nerd:

Is there a specific torque value that the filter should be set at?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ryland3210 posted some excellent investigation on the amount of tightening necessary to adequately deform the filter gasket/seal on a variety of filters. His conclusion was one and one eighth (1 1/8) turns from gasket contact. Oil filter seals should always have a smear of oil on them.

(FWIW: 3,5 liter = 3.7 US quart) :nerd:

Is there a specific torque value that the filter should be set at?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think Ryland derived that as well. Man, I'll have to try and find those posts. It was an excellent investigation on his part.  

(It goes tighter than I would have naturally gone. Of course, I was raised in the automotive "finger tight" days. That is definitely not tight enough for the V11)

Does anyone have a picture of where the jubilee/hose clamp rest against? Is it pretty obvious? I didn't stick my head up into her guts but there seemed to be a lot of clearance around the filter.

once you get it up there, you'll see how it goes. put the screw end against the (thing hanging there) in a fashion that won't allow the filter to unscrew

That sounds like a direct quote from the shop manual.

• Like 3

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10930&p=119634

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14879&p=161684

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9670&p=109759

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10591&p=116638

I'm sure ya'll have talked this to death but one thing popped in my head while reading all of these threads, I suspect that loose filters may have been caused by non-stock (i.e. UFI) filters being torqued to UFI specs (not very tight at all).

Yeah Dave, it seems the consensus is to avoid the UFI filter, which has a true O-ring, not a hard flat rubber washer for the sealing surface. After that, there are various remedies and there seem to be equally successful adherents to the various remedies. Personally, I've decided to follow "doctor's orders" and use a Wix filter tightened to 1.25 turns past first contact and no hose clamp. I want to be able to change the filter without dropping the sump every time.

Yeah Dave, it seems the consensus is to avoid the UFI filter, which has a true O-ring, not a hard flat rubber washer for the sealing surface. After that, there are various remedies and there seem to be equally successful adherents to the various remedies. Personally, I've decided to follow "doctor's orders" and use a Wix filter tightened to 1.25 turns past first contact and no hose clamp. I want to be able to change the filter without dropping the sump every time.

1.125 !!

1 1/8

One and One Eighth

:unsure: