What did you do to your V11 today?

Scud

6 hours ago, al_roethlisberger said:

@FuelCooler   Great work on the hugger modification :sun:

I've always been on the fence a bit with the OEM hugger's styling and bulkiness, and I think this is a great way to keep the OEM look and durability but lighten it appearance.

This may go "on the list" B)

This!
Never understood why Moto Guzzi decided to cover all that cool swing arm tubing. But I still wanted a nice hugger. Turns out there is a pretty nice hugger waiting to be let out of its abs cage. It was a little scary when I did it on my Silver bike, but it came out perfect. So I checked my old photos and broke out the dremel! 

• Like 2

Thanks everyone for the positive comments. 
  If anyone decides to tackle this, my advice is to draw the cuts you want to make, take your time and leave generous excess to trim down. It’s not a lot of work, but it matters to get it looking how you want!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, FuelCooler said:

If anyone decides to tackle this, my advice is to draw the cuts you want to make, take your time and leave generous excess to trim down. It’s not a lot of work, but it matters to get it looking how you want!

it does look great. Do you have any secret ways to smooth or polish the surface? I've tried to clean up scratches and it looks worse.

11 minutes ago, footgoose said:

Do you have any secret ways to smooth or polish the surface?

Not the factory surface, but mine has a scratch I want to try to fix. I have the cut off pieces that I plan on experimenting on. I’ll post my results here, but it might be a week or so.

Removed the swing arm and driveshaft to grease the u-joints and sliding joint. All looked to have been done fairly recent! Swing arm bearings were fine. Valve clearance was checked and were left as found - .004 intake, .006 exhaust. Also put a quick disconnect on the tank vent, and re-routed the vent line.

• Like 3

On 2/7/2023 at 7:53 PM, FuelCooler said:

@FuelCooler   This might be a big ask, but if you had the time to trace lay a sheet of paper over the modified hugger, then scan it as a PDF, that could be uploaded to forum as a template anyone could print out as a cutting guide :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I will put something together that covers the most critical aspect 1st: Where the 4 M6 holes get drilled. The contouring is defined by the hole locations. 
 Paper overlays for the entire thing would be tough! 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, al_roethlisberger said:

What finned header clamp collars are you using?  

My bike is January 2000 build date. I believe they are stock, probably carryover from the 1100 sports. I have seen some V11 Sport pictures in the period brochures/tests that have the finned ones as well. Also some from Europe. It surprised be when I realized they were different than my 2000 and by friends 2000 greenie. Maybe I will swap them for later ones, or keep them for conversation starters!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Also, my bike has chrome turn signal extenders, instead of the silver/gray of my old 2000 Silver V11 Sport. And the bolt that is in the swingarm that holds the rear caliper bracket from rotating is also chrome. 

• Thanks 1