GM, I had the opportunity to drive a Chevy Bolt.  I was impressed.  Neat car.  The formica stuff on the dash was a little strange but I was impressed with the driving experience.  

How far do you get on a charge?  How long does it take charge?

Actually, we have:

1. One hybrid vehicle - Lexus CT200h,

2. One low emission vehicle - Honda Element, and

3.  One high emotion vehicle - V11.

• Haha 1
9 hours ago, GuzziMoto said:

Our newest car is the opposite of sexy. A 2020 Chevy Bolt (aka, Opel Ampera-e).

It helps balance the carbon footprint of the Jeep Wrangler four door with 37" tires and a coilover 4" lift.

Our drive to work is just under 200 miles round trip. I never thought I would own an electric car. It seems wrong. But they finally got the range up to where it is feasible for us, being able to drive to and from work on a single charge without worrying.

Not as cool as the Riviera, but it can cover our commute with $3.50 worth of electricity. Even our Smart car used $12.50 worth of gas to make the same trip.

IMG_0094.jpg

When the Bolt first came out, we were on the fence, looked at all the specs, and went with a high zoot Prius. Being a retired GM employee, I was just a little afraid of them not getting the tech right. Believe me, I've seen some engineering disasters.  I'm glad to see this one working for you..

5 minutes ago, docc said:

I'm just so jealous, that's all. I mean, I have 8 cylinders, but I have to start my Sport and the car up at the same time . . . :wacko:

Or 3 more V11, that's 8cyl  :rasta:   but still hard to beat a Sox & Martin 426 screaming at 7000rpm, IMHO.  Best cure more IPA.

Cheers tom.

• Haha 1
On 1/24/2020 at 7:16 PM, Chuck said:

When the Bolt first came out, we were on the fence, looked at all the specs, and went with a high zoot Prius. Being a retired GM employee, I was just a little afraid of them not getting the tech right. Believe me, I've seen some engineering disasters.  I'm glad to see this one working for you..

Well, so far so good. My younger brother bought one like a year or so ago. He has been happy with his, but he is a more urban type person. He lives something like 8 miles from where he works. So he drives it for days without needing to charge it. For us, one trip to and from work is most of what it can do on a charge. So we charge it more often, and we use a level 2 charger while he just uses the 120 volt level 1 charger.

We went skiing this past weekend for a few hours. The place we go is only around 100 miles west of us, so I thought it would be easy there and back on a charge. But the combination of highway driving out and the mountain terrain meant by time we got there we had used over half the charge. Not good. But we took back roads coming back, roads we would ride motorcycles on in warmer weather, and the lower speed pace stretched out the range a huge amount. We stopped for a late lunch about 20 minutes from home, with what might have been enough charge to make it. But there was a fast charger there so we charged up while eating.

Next time we take the EV to ski we will likely avoid the highways most of the way to stretch the range. Live and learn. And honestly, I think GM has some of the best tech of the American three. And that hurts me to say. I am an old school Plymouth guy, Mopar all the way. Dodge too. But right now Plymouth is gone and Dodge is way behind in tech. Ford is perhaps better, but I don't think they have near the tech that GM does. The new C8 Vette is amazing. GM has great high performance tech as well as great economy tech.

Are we talking about cars again?

Did I mention my new project?

NGpQ3fh.jpg

So I traded my Corvette. It had 130k miles and was worn out. I had it for 17 years so it was time to go and besides, the family didn't fit in it.

I managed to trade it for a 1967 Mustang convertible. Although the Mustang is going to be a lot of work in the end I'll come out ahead.

So far I've managed to pull the engine (and sold it) and get a welder. Both necessary steps. I will be replacing a bit of rusty metal but I do like learning... the hard way.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
On 1/24/2020 at 1:48 PM, LowRyter said:

GM, I had the opportunity to drive a Chevy Bolt.  I was impressed.  Neat car.  The formica stuff on the dash was a little strange but I was impressed with the driving experience.  

How far do you get on a charge?  How long does it take charge?

Well, we drive it to and from work around 200 miles, mostly on interstates, on a single charge with some left over. If we take a nicer, non-interstate intensive route th erange goes up as running 70 - 80 mph on the interstate drains the battery faster than going the same distance at 55 mph. It also seems to loose a little range when we head west deeper into the mountains vs heading east from where we are like to work.

Our level 2 charger (240 volt) charges it in 8 - 10 hours.

The dash is interesting. It includes some sort of light up accent stripe. Very nice looking to me. It has heated leather seats and steering wheel. That actually helps the range as heating the seats takes less energy than heating the whole cabin.

Baby's gettin' new shoes! And the wheels refurbed . . .

5955fb94-aa3b-4069-9bb7-63e8eb1b5b83.jpg

"Needs some suspension work. Shocks, brakes, brake pads, linings, steering box, transmission, rear end. Maybe new rings. Also mufflers . . .  a little wiring . . . ." :huh::unsure::rolleyes:

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
On 1/31/2020 at 2:58 PM, docc said:

Baby's gettin' new shoes! And the wheels refurbed . . .

5955fb94-aa3b-4069-9bb7-63e8eb1b5b83.jpg

"Needs some suspension work. Shocks, brakes, brake pads, linings, steering box, transmission, rear end. Maybe new rings. Also mufflers . . .  a little wiring . . . ." :huh::unsure::rolleyes:]

I didn't think you actually owned a car.

• Haha 2
On 2/2/2020 at 4:22 PM, swooshdave said:

I didn't think you actually owned a car.

THAT is exactly what the car has been saying! :unsure:

Wheels are at the powdercoater, new tires waiting. Got vetted by an AMG/Porsche mechanic that, after ringing the secret doorbell, references, and a lengthy phone conversation, invited me by for an audition . . .

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...