17 hours ago, billgreenman1 said:

I'm constantly searching BaT and craigslist for one of the cars from my youth. I'm not entirely sure that this is the right approach, but it is a plausible passing fantasy....

Have you got a "short list" there, buddy?

(Pretty sure one of the cars from my youth was called the JailBaitGT. :unsure::o:rolleyes:  )

• Haha 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 2/4/2022 at 2:42 PM, LowRyter said:

Dave, The '65 is prettier than the '67.   OTOH, I have don't know what year 'vette you got rid of.

It was a 95 convertible with 6 speed. It had 130k miles so it was a bit worn out. I would have loved to have kept it but can't keep everything.

I like the 67 body better than the 65. Maybe one day I will have another 67 convertible.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, swooshdave said:

It was a 95 convertible with 6 speed. It had 130k miles so it was a bit worn out. I would have loved to have kept it but can't keep everything.

I like the 67 body better than the 65. Maybe one day I will have another 67 convertible.

After 160k miles on my 94 Camaro, that LT-1 motor was leaking pretty bad.  Also that optispark.  My 08 vette LS3 is easier to work on and has a lot of go.

Good luck with the Mustangs.  I have a buddy in the Mustang club.  One fellow shows a black '65 GT fastback with red stripes and interior.  It's an absolute knock out.

• Like 2
  • 3 months later...

I ordered a Bronco Wildtrak on the second day that Ford was taking reservations. That was about 2 years ago. About two weeks ago I took delivery. Here it is on one of the less-traveled ways up Mount Palomar. Sea-Level to 5,000 feet in 50 miles.

E756480F-3733-4A46-9A1F-AF4A32469F8B.jpe

• Like 8

I like the Bronco. Funny thing with Ford is that their badges run all over the map. The various gens of Broncos are related only by name. But, after the Bronco II rollover "thing" Ford wisely decided to increase the track substantially. That is clearly a very decent off-roader.

8 hours ago, Scud said:

I ordered a Bronco Wildtrak on the second day that Ford was taking reservations. That was about 2 years ago. About two weeks ago I took delivery. Here it is on one of the less-traveled ways up Mount Palomar. Sea-Level to 5,000 feet in 50 miles.

I'm now sworn off Fords, forever. Ford Australia are total wasters. I've had 3 new Fords in the last 5 years from the same dealer, 2 focus RS Mk3 's and the wifes Kuga(Escape). 2016 model with 95,000 klms up. Two weeks ago the Kuga failed me visiting a relative in the country. Long story short the selector cable end fitting on the transmission had popped off the selector lever because the 50 cent plastic bush on the end fitting had fallen apart. Managed to get it going again and got home. Tie wrapped it in place the next day and took a run to the Ford dealer I'd bought it and the 2 RS's from and explained the issue and their response? Yea mate that's a new shifter cable, $156 and 3 hours labour and half the dash apart to fit it and the broken clips and dash rattles etc that go with that for a 50 cent plastic bush! Total cost $720. @#!#$# that, I'll machine up a bush before I'll pay that. Back home and 15min on the internet and source a Ford USA tech service bulletin for the updated plastic bush ($1.05) and the new protective cap which is a mod to keep oil off the bush, order from the States and it arrives 12 days later. Fifteen mins work to fit and it's done. Ford Australia are more than happy to ignore the US TSB and rip off the customer and the dealer is happy to go along for the ride. So pay the dealer $720 or do it yourself for $3.50.

We are close to updating the Kuga and although I like the car I'll never buy another Ford, ever, period. The fish rots from the head down and here it applies to Ford Australia and it's dealers. BTW if you guys think I've accumulated some knowledge on Guzzi V11's it's nothing to what I've gained on Ford Ecoboost engines after the Focus RS Mk3 head gasket recall issue. But that's another story.

Phil   

• Like 1

It's a super-competent off-roader. I got to participate in a Ford event, called Off-Roadeo before I took delivery. I went to the one near Las Vegas. The trail masters put us in all kinds of difficult spots intentionally so we could experience the vehicle's features and capabilities. 

Bummer about the Ford experience in Australia. I've been overall happy with my Ford trucks, but have no experience with a new Ford car. I'm fortunate that there is a very good dealer near me. I also bought the extended warranty, as it is a new model and they had a lot of production delays.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Scud said:

It's a super-competent off-roader. I got to participate in a Ford event, called Off-Roadeo before I took delivery. I went to the one near Las Vegas. The trail masters put us in all kinds of difficult spots intentionally so we could experience the vehicle's features and capabilities. 

Bummer about the Ford experience in Australia. I've been overall happy with my Ford trucks, but have no experience with a new Ford car. I'm fortunate that there is a very good dealer near me. I also bought the extended warranty, as it is a new model and they had a lot of production delays.

I purchased a Ford Transit Connect short chassis with the lift rear gate. December 2016. I chose the turbo charged engine instead of the 1.8 Atmospheric.

This is as ugly as it can be, has been nicked named "Toaster" because it looks like one.

I had too many issues with it. Starting with a battery failure that crashed the ECU, necessitating a complete re-installation of the firmware. This happened just outside of the warranty coverage.

But my worse issue was a Y connection, plastic, part of the cabin heating system, that failed. Lost the coolant and had to get the car towed to Ford. I thought that Ford would have a commercial gesture as this part is not supposed to wear out. It is just a piece of plastic. How could it even break? the service manager said that it may have been a bad part which failed after the temperature up and down excursions. As it is now the norm, they could not only replace the failed part, because it comes with all the hoses and connections as a module, and costed a little fortune.

I still keep the car because it is very practical. I had a Subaru previous to the Ford, never had a single issue with it.

18 hours ago, Scud said:

You should bring it out to Moab and western Colorado. We take our Jeep there as often as we can.

The high mountain passes in Colorado are fun. And Moab is pretty much Disneyland for offroading.

The first picture is us in our Jeep out around Moab, on a trail called 7 Mile Rim, the second is a local place near us in WV called Chaos OFP.

7MileRimMoab.jpg

ChaosOFP.jpg

• Like 4
13 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

I'm now sworn off Fords, forever. Ford Australia are total wasters. I've had 3 new Fords in the last 5 years from the same dealer, 2 focus RS Mk3 's and the wifes Kuga(Escape). 2016 model with 95,000 klms up. Two weeks ago the Kuga failed me visiting a relative in the country. Long story short the selector cable end fitting on the transmission had popped off the selector lever because the 50 cent plastic bush on the end fitting had fallen apart. Managed to get it going again and got home. Tie wrapped it in place the next day and took a run to the Ford dealer I'd bought it and the 2 RS's from and explained the issue and their response? Yea mate that's a new shifter cable, $156 and 3 hours labour and half the dash apart to fit it and the broken clips and dash rattles etc that go with that for a 50 cent plastic bush! Total cost $720. @#!#$# that, I'll machine up a bush before I'll pay that. Back home and 15min on the internet and source a Ford USA tech service bulletin for the updated plastic bush ($1.05) and the new protective cap which is a mod to keep oil off the bush, order from the States and it arrives 12 days later. Fifteen mins work to fit and it's done. Ford Australia are more than happy to ignore the US TSB and rip off the customer and the dealer is happy to go along for the ride. So pay the dealer $720 or do it yourself for $3.50.

We are close to updating the Kuga and although I like the car I'll never buy another Ford, ever, period. The fish rots from the head down and here it applies to Ford Australia and it's dealers. BTW if you guys think I've accumulated some knowledge on Guzzi V11's it's nothing to what I've gained on Ford Ecoboost engines after the Focus RS Mk3 head gasket recall issue. But that's another story.

Phil   

My kid's Focus ST was totally out of commission for a couple of weeks due to plastic door latches!   The danged driver's door would not close!  He duct taped the door because Ford wouldn't send a tow truck.  Of course the battery died next, due to the dome light burning.   Lucky he only had to drive it for a couple of miles.

On top of that, the car would occasionally overheat because the fan switch only worked randomly.  Ford wanted $800 to replace the entire fan assembly.  The switch was $75 plug and play, we replaced it in about 30 minutes.  Ford offered to take the $120 diagnostic fee off the $800 bill but I didn't tell the service guy that I refused to pay that fee.  I didn't pay Ford a damned thing!  Fix their POS recall crap.

This was after several suspension issues and an axle bearing (what?).   After paying lots on tires and brakes, I think my son isn't enthralled with a performance car used for commuting.   He's the only one I can recall in the family to ever own a Ford.  I'd be curious if he ever buys another.  

My deal is, I only buy used cars that have good track records and in great condition.  The only new cars I buy are Accords.  I would consider a Toyota, maybe Chevy Bolt if I were to buy an EV. 

Actually the last new car I bought that wasn't Accord were a couple of Isuzu Troopers 4WD, strong and reliable.  I still have the '99 with a little more than 100k on it, never even put brakes on it, the oil change place did the timing belt (V6) for $300. 

uuuuhm anyway

But Plastic Door latches!  That's it for me.  It just plain pisses me off.  

2 minutes ago, LowRyter said:

My kid's Focus ST was totally out of commission for a couple of weeks due to plastic door latches!   The danged driver's door would not close!  He duct taped the door because Ford wouldn't send a tow truck.  Of course the battery died first, due to the dome light burning.   Lucky he only had to drive it for a couple of miles.

On top of that, the car would occasionally overheat because the fan switch only worked randomly.  Ford wanted $800 to replace the entire fan assembly.  The switch was $75 plug and play, we replaced it in about 30 minutes.  Ford offered to take the $120 diagnostic fee off the $800 bill but I didn't tell the service guy that I refused to pay that fee.  I didn't pay Ford a damned thing!  Fix their POS recall crap.

This was after several suspension issues and an axle bearing (what?).   After paying lots on tires and brakes, I think my son isn't enthralled with a performance car used for commuting.   He's the only one I can recall in the family to ever own a Ford.  I'd be curious if he ever buys another.  

My deal is, I only buy used cars that have good track records and in great condition.  The only new cars I buy are Accords.  I would consider a Toyota, maybe Chevy Bolt if I were to buy an EV. 

Actually the last new car I bought that wasn't Accord were a couple of Isuzu Troopers 4WD, strong and reliable.  I still have the '99 with a little more than 100k on it, never even put brakes on it, the oil change place did the timing belt (V6) for $300. 

uuuuhm anyway

But Plastic Door latches!  That's it for me.  It just plain pisses me off.  

Yea I'm hearin ya. This Kuga(Escape) a year ago at 85000klm ate its centre tail shaft bearing! This is essentially a FWD SUV with rear drive on demand. So I drive around with the dash set on an image that displays which wheels are getting the drive in real time. It uses the rear drive around 10% of the time so the tail shaft spends 90% of it's life spinning freely without transmitting any torque. It gets an easy life this car and still the centre bearing fails! So off to Ford because I'm in a situation where I can't fix it myself at present and the car needs to be on the road. New complete tail shaft required for  a $50 bearing because now in the Lego car world the $50 centre tail shaft bearing is not replaceable. Total cost parts and labour $2000. 

The learnings? Buy a car with the longest possible warranty, Prioritise reliability and a quality track record over everything else for your DD. If your car ever has a serious technical issue just sell it and eat the costs because even with a warranty 98% dealer techs are so inept that they will butcher most seriously technical or involved repairs anyway and you'll end up in the repeated horror story of endless issues caused by them and repeated returns to the dealer. 

Don't buy a Ford.

Ciao

• Thanks 1

Long factory warranty,,  Alfa Romeo Giulia ( wagon ), 510hp screaming italian V6 WITH 7years factory warranty, what coud go wrong  :rasta: Ææh to much dineros for a car, I think.

Cheers Tom.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Tomchri said:

Long factory warranty,,  Alfa Romeo Giulia ( wagon ), 510hp screaming italian V6 WITH 7years factory warranty, what coud go wrong  :rasta: Ææh to much dineros for a car, I think.

Cheers Tom.

A 510hp wagon?!? Sign me up!

Alfa-Romeo-Giulia-Sport-Wagon-Auto-Motor

• Like 2