Wow... stirred up some bad Ford experiences. We bought a new Subaru Forester a few years ago and had so many problems that Subaru cut us a check. I am the only person I know to have had an experience like that with a Subaru. It soured us on the brand for a while, but now my wife has a Subaru Crosstrek Sport and we are very happy with it.

Hopefully our Bronco will prove as reliable as it is fun. My "daily driver" is still a Moto Guzzi Stelvio. I also carry a AAA gold card that is good for up to 200 miles of towing on any car or motorcycle.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

The Bronco is beautiful Tim. I would love to get one but it would have to fill the "other" car slot as my need for a truck is a priority. Too many $'s for a second vehicle, and that slot is already filled with a gas sipper. I won't bore with my lifelong vehicle anecdotes but with the exception of one Toyota, all my non Fords have been a disaster. Especially (that one time) GM.

When we were in high school there was always a rivalry "General Morbidity" "Fix Or Repair Daily" "Dead Or Dying Garage Exhibit"      .... good times!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
14 hours ago, LowRyter said:

My deal is, I only buy used cars that have good track records and in great condition.  The only new cars I buy are Accords.  I would consider a Toyota, maybe Chevy Bolt if I were to buy an EV. 

But Plastic Door latches!  That's it for me.  It just plain pisses me off.  

We have had our Bolt for over two years with zero issues. It has literally been plug and play. One of the better new car buys we have made. There is a battery recall on it, but ours hasn't been an issue and we have yet to even talk to them about the battery recall. At some point I guess we will have to. And if they want to replace the battery that is fine. But if they only want to replace part of the battery I think I would pass. I don't want some dealer tech taking our battery apart. Good knows how bad they would bugger it up.

There are other EV options I would consider, but not a Tesla. They have too many design issues and the company thinks their shit don't stink. Plus I have no desire to give Musk any of my money. But that is me, I avoid giving my money to Musk or Bezos. Those guys already have enough money. They don't need mine. Besides, too many other good options to choose from.

• Thanks 1

All my bitching about my kid's Focus ST and the expense of driving a performance car as a daily driver, actually my DD is an '08 Corvette.  I bought with 44k miles on it and have about 80k on it now.   It's been a pretty good car, although I'm living with a CEL that I can't kill and a chattering clutch.  I can change the plugs in wires in about 30 minutes, easier than the valve adjustment on my Guzzis.   Even the Michelin (all seasons run flat) tires haven't been that expensive.   It's got 430HP and needs a nanny to keep me out of the ditch.  It's a stick, pop top, analog gauges, simple radio (with 3.5 input for $10 Bluetooth module), sorta everything I wanted in a cruiser or runner.  The worst is road noise in the hatch, I won't take it on interstate highway extended trips.

C96074529D1D4B87881AC7C2F3F4C345.jpg

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Scud said:

We bought a new Subaru Forester a few years ago and had so many problems that Subaru cut us a check.

This is a lot better than the matter of fact "we are sorry" that I got from Ford.... inconveniences happen all the time, even on so-called luxury brand cars. What makes the difference is how the brand own up to their issues.

I seemed to have less major problems with my vintage cars which I purchased for pennies.

I like the Bronco.

15 hours ago, docc said:

You don't often find "reliable", "daily driver" and "Moto Guzzi" in the same post . . . :mg:

Why not?

My motorcycle is my first mean of transportation, and I only take my car out because I have to. And I have a fun car to drive, but nothing can match the V11 feel!

• Thanks 2
15 hours ago, footgoose said:

When we were in high school there was always a rivalry "General Morbidity" "Fix Or Repair Daily" "Dead Or Dying Garage Exhibit"      .... good times!

All the "old" cars that I used to drive back in Europe never gave me any concern. Probably because there was so little sophistication built into them. So crude, that if anything would go wrong, you could fix it yourself. Having a car requiring an ECU re-programming because of a failed battery was a discovery for me.

If I can, I will get myself a Citroën Méhari.

This is the perfect car for Texas. 2 cylinders air cooled, 602 cc. Comes under the 25 years import law.

Citroën_Méhari_Nice_IMG_1269

11 minutes ago, p6x said:

All the "old" cars that I used to drive back in Europe never gave me any concern. Probably because there was so little sophistication built into them. So crude, that if anything would go wrong, you could fix it yourself. Having a car requiring an ECU re-programming because of a failed battery was a discovery for me.

Agreed. Older cars were basic and better for it. That said, 100k on a 60's car was considered high miles. 200k seems to be the new 100k. New cars are for convenience... till they are not. I think some repair requirements are there to give a boost to the dealers to keep them happy and prosperous. My 2010 Jeep Commander ignition key cost $170. to replace and $80. to program it. Reprogram done using the existing key, if I'd lost both keys?? tech said... "don't lose both keys"

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, p6x said:

Why not?

My motorcycle is my first mean of transportation, and I only take my car out because I have to. And I have a fun car to drive, but nothing can match the V11 feel!

True! Just teasing a bit. 
I hope my Sport doesn’t go on a hate streak for my transgression. . . 

• Like 1

I heard BMW stood for "Big Money Wasted" :P

I like Italian Engineering!Alfa Red.JPG

Especially in Red (I have two red Alfas from the 80's)

• Like 2