Lucky Phil extender mod

Chuck

Just now, mikev said:

given the symptoms should I try shorter or longer?

will change to upper hole and play around with rod length.

So, the short arm on the gearbox can be rotated to another groove to set the shift lever angle (I like mine as low to the Frame Side Plate as possible, the the connector rod length is used to get the "right angles" (or close them), before setting the pivot tension/play. Make sure all the fasteners/ pinch bolt/ lock nuts are tight and the pivot bolt is cleaned/polished/greased (I use BelRay Waterproof Grease there since it is down in the road spray).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yes, ok. Took a ride. All the gears work.  Shifter IS totally different, stiffer, crisper.  

I need to adjust the position of the shift lever up a bit for my foot, but other than that its a big improvement!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mikev said:

Yes, ok. Took a ride. All the gears work.  Shifter IS totally different, stiffer, crisper.  

I need to adjust the position of the shift lever up a bit for my foot, but other than that its a big improvement!

This is particularly interesting since you only moved the position from the inner to outer hole, effectively changing from what would have been the furthest position on the original shift arm to the Lucky Phil derived extended position . . .

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, mikev said:

I did increase the length of the shifter arm.  I'm going to have to decrease it some to lift the pedal up.  

Changing where the gearbox shifter arm indexes could be helpful, as well.

38 minutes ago, docc said:

Changing where the gearbox shifter arm indexes

how do I do that?

I'll take a pic of mine tomorrow.  I believe its slot end points down and is nearly vertical. So would I loosen the hex nut and rotate clockwise to 6:30 or 7? or other direction?

5 hours ago, mikev said:

how do I do that?

I'll take a pic of mine tomorrow.  I believe its slot end points down and is nearly vertical. So would I loosen the hex nut and rotate clockwise to 6:30 or 7? or other direction?

What I do is, first, service and adjust/shim the pivot assembly, then position the pedal lever where it will just clear the Frame Side Plate on the downstroke (in every gear as it seems the travel is greater in certain downshifts), then position the gearbox arm on the shaft splines (remove the pinch bolt and pull the arm off to reposition) where the arm is parallel to the shift extender when the lever is in the "relaxed"/ready position. Adjust the connector rod length accordingly.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the description docc.  I'm going to work on this again over the long weekend.  It was 17 F this morning here so I have not gone out to the garage to fine tune the shifter. 

• Like 1

I'm thinking with the Shift Extender, we will not get the "right angles" but should strive that both the "arms" (the extender and the shift arm on the gearbox) are parallel. Yours look good! :thumbsup:

Give us a ride report when the temps allow!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hallo Chuck.

As far as I can tell, you made a run in November, and about 8 of them were spoken for. Are there any left? I would really like to get one (I'm talking about one of the latest last ever Lucky Phil shift extenders of course.)

I'll send a PM as soon as I hear that there is still one to be had.

Mick

• Like 1