Lucky Phil extender mod

Chuck

Sorry, no input at this point Al on the chuck/phil mod with the MotraTech, but will just add that I’m a big fan of the MotraTech.  And i’lll be watching to see how yours turns out.  If I came across another MotraTech setup I’d buy it to have just in case.  My setup is slightly finicky, requiring a little different “action” with my shift foot, but overall resulted in a subtle but great change for me, as a “lanky” rider, and someone who wanted a little less weight/force on my arms for touring (due mostly to a shoulder issue).

• Thanks 1

On 1/29/2023 at 11:46 AM, Gmc28 said:

Sorry, no input at this point Al on the chuck/phil mod with the MotraTech, but will just add that I’m a big fan of the MotraTech.  And i’lll be watching to see how yours turns out.  If I came across another MotraTech setup I’d buy it to have just in case.  My setup is slightly finicky, requiring a little different “action” with my shift foot, but overall resulted in a subtle but great change for me, as a “lanky” rider, and someone who wanted a little less weight/force on my arms for touring (due mostly to a shoulder issue).

I suspect it is fine and still provides the same benefit.  After all the mechanics of the controls aren't really changing.  We'll see ;)

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, Guzzi-in-Vancouver said:

I must be especially slow today but how does one get these from Phil?

While the shift extender is a @Lucky Phil design, the series of batches (special editions?) have all been produced by @Chuck

Currently uncertain if there are any of the latest last batch still available . . .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, docc said:

... Currently uncertain if there are any of the latest last batch still available . . .

The question needs to go to Chuck directly, but I got the impression he might still have a couple. :)

• Like 1

I have some blanks that have been run through the water jet and cnc mill. All that needs to be done is form them and powder coat. So, yes.. if you want one, just PM me with your snail mail address, and I'll finish up maybe 5. Eventually. I'm playing with getting my little homebuilt airplane flying right now..

20230226_120220.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, audiomick said:

Would you care to show us a photo of the motor in that, and perhaps tell us what it is? :)

Split topic:

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

I installed this upgrade a long while ago, but never had it adjusted correct. The trick is all linkage should be at 90°. I knew it was off, but it's hard to get my fingers in there to adjust it so I kept putting it off. 

Finally, this past week during Christmas break, I made the time to correct this. WOW, WHAT A DIFFERENCE! Extremely better, positive shifting. 

Today I rode into work wearing my new Goldtop jacket and shifting safe and sound.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, audiomick said:

@LaGrasta : can you manage a photo of how it looks now?

On the strenght of Phil's photos I had assumed that the optimal 90° would not be possible because the Lucky Phil lever is longer. :huh2:

Here is a "before image", if you will. While perfect 90º angles are, indeed, not likely achieved with the Shift Extender, setting the connector rod length such that the arm on the gearbox is parallel to the reach of the Shift Extender is the goal . . .

image.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

@docc had posted this pic prior, and is what I used as reference. It truly made a big difference, so much better now.

I questioned this bolt/nut orientation so I placed the nut outside, so I might see it missing should that happen and leave me stranded one day. On a side note, I retained the lock nut but swapped to a hex head bolt rather than the allen bolt, thus easier to wrench on.

• Like 2

I found this odd view of my current configuration. The outboard-placed hex nuts are NyLok®-like .

The angle of this view exaggerates the perception of the angles. The arms are as parallel as I could achieve while the angle of the connector rod from the Shift Extender measures ~82º. No way I can measure the angle to the gearbox arm with the starter in place, but it is slightly obtuse, so perhaps ~98º?

IMG_2743.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1