Guzzi considers return to racing

ScuRoo

Perhaps the rumored lighter Stelvio - maybe a V9 motor...  Something to enter the Dakar Rally.  Dakar finishers get a lot of respect - not just winners.

Having recently got a diesel truck I've been thinking about some of the challenges that a diesel motorcycle would present. High compression means huge battery and starter motor. My truck has 2 batteries - I think that's also because the glow plugs take a huge electrical load.  My truck takes 4 gallons (not 4 quarts) of oil. That's 3-4 times the amount of oil for a similar size gas engine. Despite all that, a diesel Stelvio would be a bold statement. I think it would prove popular with people who pull trailers behind motorcycles.

Why not just go BIG:  Diesel motorcycle trailer-pull competitions on the moon.

I want to see it happen, on any level. The article beat around the bush re which motor and which race, but I'd be excited about any of them. Especially 750 flat track. Don't think Guzzi'd have a chance against an HD? I'd sure as hell watch 'em try!

The likelihood of them financing that level of R&D would be less plausible than fielding competition.

Duc didn't do too bad.

Perhaps the rumored lighter Stelvio - maybe a V9 motor...  Something to enter the Dakar Rally.  Dakar finishers get a lot of respect - not just winners.

Having recently got a diesel truck I've been thinking about some of the challenges that a diesel motorcycle would present. High compression means huge battery and starter motor. My truck has 2 batteries - I think that's also because the glow plugs take a huge electrical load.  My truck takes 4 gallons (not 4 quarts) of oil. That's 3-4 times the amount of oil for a similar size gas engine. Despite all that, a diesel Stelvio would be a bold statement. I think it would prove popular with people who pull trailers behind motorcycles.

Why not just go BIG:  Diesel motorcycle trailer-pull competitions on the moon.

Scud

My 700cc Kubota 2 cylinder diesel tractor has a modest battery & a de-compression lever to get it going

My 700cc Kubota 2 cylinder diesel tractor has a modest battery & a de-compression lever to get it going

...and my diesel truck is a dinosaur (in both size and age) 7.3L V8 Ford - so I'm not really up on the current technology.  I've seen a few other diesel motorcycle projects, so it can be done. I imagine it would produce torque that would put even the biggest Harley motors to shame.

Thanks for posting.   I crossed posted this on Wild Guzzi.

Personally I'd like to see a Guzzi LeMans sportsbike based on the RSV4.  More displacement, milder tune in Sports Touring package.  

They could split the racing between Aprilia and Guzzi depending on the series.