Diagnostic Cables

docc

There are three necessary cables to set the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) baseline and interface with the ECU:

1)TPS Breakout Harness:

http://www.casperselectronics.com/cart/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=853&search=109172

And the thread posted by danl that details the development:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18052

[Cable shown is my breakout harness modified with connectors I can clip my voltmeter to. N/Vi (purple with black stripe)is positive, Vi (purple) is negative. The third wire (yellow) gets tucked away. Also shown are my old pins to back probe the ECU connector. :bbblll:]

DSCN3581.jpg

2) Adapter cable: Do a web search for "3-pin to ODB II Fiat/ Lancia" for current availability in your location:

61z499e0FGL._AC_SL1001_.jpg

3) OBD II to USB with correct FTDI 232RL chip:  (Do a web search for current sources):

256670_x800.jpg

! >>  Lonelec (UK) has been the most reliable, long running source for both cables 2 and 3 << !

New, improved version (2022) with adapter to accommodate  various cabling/ devices:

https://www.lonelec.com/product/guzzidiag-3pin-interface-cable-kit/

WooMainPicGuzziDiag_Combo_850x660_New-1.

• Thanks 1

Note that the OBD2 to USB MUST be properly chipped FTDI 232RL.

Thanks to everyone for posting reliable links in this thread to obtain correct cables in your part of the world.

This thread is for the cables only. Use of the cables is posted elsewhere, including:

Basic guzzidiag tutorial for V11

Decent Tune Up

• 6 months later...

2) Adapter cable, 3-pin to ODB II (Fiat/ Lancia):

https://www.wish.com/c/56737d5629454c4654daefe0?hide_login_modal=true&from_ad=pla1

fiat-3-pin-to-16-pin-obd-obd2-connector-

This cable doesn't appear to be available from this source. Are there any other sources in the US?

I have the USB to ODBII cable that I used on my Triumph. I may just order the adapter cable from the U.K.

Thanks for heads up on the availability. Let's see if we can scare one up stateside. I googled "3 pin to OBD cable" and see offerings from $4-6.

Be certain your Triumph cable is FTDI chipped.

I am hoping this thread serves to keep current sources for the cables around the globe.

Docc FYI The OBD II to usb cable I ordered from ESCTuning didn't work for me. I suspect it doesn't have the correct FTDI 232RL chip despite being listed as such on their website. At Paul's suggestion I ordered the Lonelec kit and was able to hook up with my MacBook. Both cables use the same FTDI driver. My recommendation is to forget other sources and just order from Lonelec in the UK. A bit more shipping time but they're garanteed to work.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I believe you need at least two cables. One is the USB to ODBII which needs to have the correct chip. Then there is the ODBII to Guzzi (actually FIAT) adapter. I don't think it matters which one you get here. Can anyone confirm? I'm still reading up on this stuff.

I don't recall the Lonelect taking long to ship to Oregon.

Correct: the [3 pin-> OBD] has 12 volt power clips, but the actual [OBD -> USB] has to be correctly FTDI chipped.

• 1 month later...

I just got around to trying the USB/OBDII cable that I got from ECS Tuning back in April.  I wish I saw the post from Jazzamoto above before I ordered it.  After a few fruitless hours of reading about Guzzidiag and fighting with drivers I opened up the cable and found that it DID NOT have the FTDi FT232RL chipset that's required by Guzzidiag. 

I emailed their customer service to see if I can exchange it for the right one or get a refund.  I'll report back if they can in fact deliver the correct cable.  In the meantime I think Jazzamoto's suggestion to buy this cable only from Lonelec is a good one.

• Like 1

ECS tuning hasn't responded to my email yet so I looked at Amazon and ebay and found a cable set (both cables) that's meant to work with GuzziDiag and  allegedly has the correct FTDI chip in the OBD2 cable.  $20 shipped for both cables is a bargain compared to the ECS cable too.  I didn't go with the Lonelec cable because I've waited a LONG time for another product that was shipped to me from England via Royal Mail.

Here's the ebay cable set that I ordered:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/232077625545?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The first thing that I'm going to do when they arrive is open the OBD2 cable to verify the chip.  Here's a pic of the ECS cable opened up with the wrong chip circled.  That chip should have FTDi stamped on it.

Wrong chip in diag cable.jpg

I would advise anyone buying one of these cables to verify the chip in the cable before doing anything else so you don't waste a bunch of time like I did.

• Like 1

I've read that you may or may not get the correct chip from Amazon.. the luck of the draw.

It took about a week to get my cables from England, FWIW.

ECS tuning hasn't responded to my email yet so I looked at Amazon and ebay and found a cable set (both cables) that's meant to work with GuzziDiag and  allegedly has the correct FTDI chip in the OBD2 cable.  $20 shipped for both cables is a bargain compared to the ECS cable too.  I didn't go with the Lonelec cable because I've waited a LONG time for another product that was shipped to me from England via Royal Mail.

Tom, ECS gave me a full credit when I returned the cable. No hassles.

Jazz