30 amp fuse failure

docc

Thanks, I'll check output this week. If correct, I may look into adding some sort of an inline heatsink.

• Like 1

Finally checked the charging voltage, dead. The battery is 12.8 and only rises as I increase RPM to about 13v.

New regulator needed?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BHQN17XV?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Edited by LaGrasta

Roadstercycle.com  Shindengen SH847.  Works wonder for your electricial system.

Cheers Tom.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I removed the rectifier, and checked the ohms, both directions. Negative bias 14.5, positive bias, no movement. If I understand correct, this is good. Just the same, I ordered a replacement, albeit an inexpensive one. At the very least, it will rule out the rectifier with certainty. 

Well , you tested a diode . There is more than that taking place in that little box . Get a new one just to test with . If it turns out good , I would buy the best (not most expensive) one available . 

• Thanks 1

On 7/13/2024 at 10:04 AM, LaGrasta said:

Finally checked the charging voltage, dead. The battery is 12.8 and only rises as I increase RPM to about 13v.

What should it be at increased rpm?

It should be no more than 14v . I will have to go and start mine up ...at rest battery v was 12.4v , after start-up it was like 12.8v. Blip your throttle a few times like 3k or above , At 3k I got 14.5v . AGM batteries are different. Keep this in mind!  

You always want to blip your throttle or hold it steady above 2500 for a few seconds for the regulator to start working . TRUST ME . I worked on a BMW car for 3 days after I replaced the alternator and it still would NOT charge . For some stupid reason I blipped the throttle and it started charging. 

Edited by gstallons
more info
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

After reading docc’s concerns about leaving the 30 amp fuse in place while charging, I checked mine.

Attached is a thermal image of my fuse set after 24 hours on a battery tender. No heat to worry about

image.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Flir was a gift from a buddy that is a sales rep but it has come in handy.

I am not electrically minded.

A good question..... I'll check it out in three next day or so and report back.

and I'll probably do the same check on occasion going forward.... it may help preempt problems. I figure once resistance starts affecting any contacts, it will probably be a cycle of more resistance = more heat = more resistance and so on.

I looked it up . It looks like it is a neat toy !  I bought  one a pretty long time ago and it was pretty expensive but it is neat to have to find poor connections  or things "staying on" for battery drain.