Green + Attitude = Gratitude

Scud

2000+Greenie%2FIMG_6431.jpg

Crabbing the frame was not so hard as I imagined. It's certainly the easiest way to get the transmission out. It does appear that the tranny is leaking from a seal, not a crack. I'll know for sure when I split the cases.

I'm playing detective as I work, trying to figure out why it runs so poorly. Sometimes it's a combination of little things, rather than one glaring problem. So far, I've found:

1. Exhaust leak as mentioned above - also evidence of an exhaust leak at the LH connection of header to crossover (black soot on engine case)
  2. One yellow wire for the regulator only partly pushed in (I could see the metal of the plug and it came out with almost no effort).
  3. The LH injector plug was not properly connected - the square metal spring wasn't properly seated and the plug was a bit looser than the other side.
  4. The LH intake manifold was plugged with a longer screw than the RH - it protrudes into the manifold.

The LH head seems dirtier than the RH. How do these look to you?

2000+Greenie%2FScreen+Shot+2017-06-26+at

And in other news... the rear brake pads were almost to the metal - after 5,000 miles. Oh well, at least that means the fronts didn't get much use. And look at that pretty clutch.  :D

Yeah - photobucket has gotten really annoying lately. What picture-hosting site do you like?

Here are bigger photos of the intakes. LH with the too-long screw plugging vacuum port - and natural light:

2000+Greenie%2FIMG_6437.jpg

RH with a shorter screw - and with some fluorescent light.

2000+Greenie%2FIMG_6441.jpg

I gave them a basic cleaning recently when I put the intake boots on - and the LH was much more stubborn.

What picture-hosting site do you like?

I've been using Flickr the last couple of years. Yeah, I know.. yay hoo, but it's fast, and fone friendly. No stupid ads, pop ups, opening another tab, worms, like you get with PB. 

I ran some seafoam for about 10 miles of low-speed riding - and several heat/cool cycles in the neighborhood. I also ran some techron for a bit. since the bike sat for a while I am going to give the injectors a proper cleaning - and I'm wondering if I should pull the heads to clean the ports out and test for valve leakage.

What picture-hosting site do you like?

I've been using Flickr the last couple of years. Yeah, I know.. yay hoo, but it's fast, and fone friendly. No stupid ads, pop ups, opening another tab, worms, like you get with PB. 

Flickr has gotten much better. I've moved to it too.

35544122036_4baaec56b7_z.jpg

Opened a Flickr account... here's my first photo. 

Cleared out the last of the dark green electrical tape from the wiring harness. Still no evidence of damage or modifications. Why did somebody feel the need to cut into the loom? I don't know.  :huh2:

Flipped the ECU - also noticed that two vibration dampers were broken - so the ECU was a bit wobbly on the remaining two. Fortunately, I had some spare dampers on hand. It does seem more secure and protected this way.

Sprayed Deoxit in every wire loom connection and re-connected. 

Cleaned the dirt off the shock to find a big (dangerous) crack in the lower shock mount. I should have caught that in the pre-purchase inspection. The Sachs shock commonly fails at the lower mount.

Thanks Czakky. JBBenson also has a Sachs leftover from his recent suspension upgrade and it's closer to home, so I'm gonna get that one.

I also ordered a transmission brace. Don at MotiveCycleWorks, who fixed LowRyter's cracked tranny, is having another batch of the braces made. He thinks they'll be done (and powdercoated red) by middle of next week. For anyone else who is interested, here's his website:  http://www.motivcycleworks.com/

Powder coated?  I think Don was using the rattle can I bought from Auto Zone ("Flame Red" -BTW).

I am curious if folks on the list have purchased the first batch.

35544122036_4baaec56b7_z.jpg

Opened a Flickr account... here's my first photo. 

Don't be afraid to go bigger with the pics.  :thumbsup:

Powder coated?  I think Don was using the rattle can I bought from Auto Zone ("Flame Red" -BTW).

I am curious if folks on the list have purchased the first batch.

He said he didn't have any more from the first run. He's using a different shop to cut the next batch, getting them powder-coated red, and supplying mounting hardware.  Thanks again for taking the initiative when your bike was down. That should prevent problems for other people.

34759521764_605dbbe7c7_h.jpg

Tranny is split... don't see any evidence of cracks or other damage, but haven't cleaned it yet. A bolt near the suspected leak site came out with almost no effort.

And Swoosh - I "went big" for the flickr photo.

• Like 5