OK now I'm confused (as normal) about VIN

bbolesaz

I happened to be looking at the Guzzi parts catalogs on Moto International.  Looked at the catalog for what should be my bike, '02 Scura. 

Noticed that the catalog had "chassis prefix" on the pages of "ZGUKS".

Wait a minute, my bike VIN starts with "ZGUKR".

The parts catalog for 1999-2001 V11 Sport/Mandello has that code on it.

When the discussion came up about transmission mounting plates, I'm pretty sure (not near bike now) that it didn't have one and the frame looked like the picture in the 2001-2002 catalog.

What gives?  Is Luigi messing with me?

As far as I know, all the Scuras are "KS" bikes (for example Rosso Mandellos were still "KR").  All Motors of all V11s are "KR".
If you type your VIN here: http://static.piaggio.com/recall/form-piaggio_en.html, you should get as an answer: "The sent VIN number is: ZGUKSXXXXXXX….This chassis number corresponds to vehicle V11 SPORT SCURA..."

Here's the official spare part catalogue, where all the Scura specific parts are separately marked: http://www.af1racing.com/store/ProdImages/st3/GU013.pdf. These fine people (AF1 Racing) by the way have all the V11 official spare part catalogues there, downloadable as pdf -files...

• Like 1

Oooo, the plot thickens !

Typed the VIN into the link above and got "Wrong Chassis Number"

Gonna hafta look when I get home.

It sure looks like a Scura, with all of those keen Ohlins parts.

Mine as well...ZGUKR....looks like a Scura, sounds like a Scura, smells like a Scura...   :food:  :food: must be....

Clutch rattles like a Scura... crinkle paint bubbles and peels like a Scura... has an engraved *SXXX* production number (S375 in my case) on the top triple clamp like a Scura... 

I'm not sure that we can rely on Moto Guzzi to keep impeccable records... and then for those records to be accurately assimilated into Piaggio. But my greenie and LeMans both showed up correctly.

Now I'm curious what the VIN mfg code is for a 2002 LeMans or Sport (not Scura).

My engraved plate has #599 on it.  Absolutely no correlation to the VIN as far as I can tell.

Wow, this just gets stranger and stranger.  Just for fun, I tried to plug in my VIN into the website with ZGUKS instead of ZGUKR.  Got the same error message.  Just for more fun, I tried it again with the correct ZGUKR VIN code and what do you know, it pops up with "No recall campaigns are pending for this vehicle SCURA - MY2002"

I think Luigi is having a laugh.

Wow, this just gets stranger and stranger. Just for fun, I tried to plug in my VIN into the website with ZGUKS instead of ZGUKR. Got the same error message. Just for more fun, I tried it again with the correct ZGUKR VIN code and what do you know, it pops up with "No recall campaigns are pending for this vehicle SCURA - MY2002"

I think Luigi is having a laugh.

Not so much a laugh, more of a "what's the matter, this is how it's suppose to work!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

an engraved *SXXX* production number

Here also, my understanding is, that allthough Guzzi used to continue the special "limited" series bikes if there was demand for them (like in the beginning, Rosso Mandellos had the number on the side fairing), all of the Scuras have their "limited edition number" on the top triple clamp.

Since at those times (2002) the change from the KR chassis to the KS chassis took place, could it be, that the earlier bikes have the KR chassis and the later have the KS chassis? Do the "KR" Scuras have the added chassis parts? How high is the "limited edition" number of a Scura, which has the "KR" -vin (a KS "S672" has a mfg date 28.6.2002 - a dealer can look up the mfg date with the vin). Or could it be, that all the Scuras to the US all have the "KR" vin? The "answer" for my vin says "V11 SPORT SCURA CEE", to be precise. "CEE" like "Central and Eastern Europe" (the bike was delivered originally to a German dealer). The sticker on the frame also includes "CEE" and the ZGUKS..." vin.

Camn, my #599, which as I understand is about 100 from the last of the run, has the KR VIN.  All of the parts differences between the KR and KS parts books align with my bike being a KS build.

So, your Scura has a KS VIN?  Is your number #672?

I'm suspecting that it is an issue of inventory of frames.  They maybe built a bunch of frames in 2001 and stamped them with KR VINs then ended up using them on Scura's.

Camn, my #599, which as I understand is about 100 from the last of the run, has the KR VIN.  All of the parts differences between the KR and KS parts books align with my bike being a KS build.

I'm suspecting that it is an issue of inventory of frames.  They maybe built a bunch of frames in 2001 and stamped them with KR VINs then ended up using them on Scura's.

Those are good questions.

Interesting the "KR vs KS" frame. My early Sport is KR (4th and 5th VIN characters).

Camn, are you saying Moto Guzzi changed to "KS" when the "LongFrame" was introduced with the additionally braced front subframe and lower rear subframe that connects forward to the bottom of the engine case?

Those are good questions.

Interesting the "KR vs KS" frame. My early Sport is KR (4th and 5th VIN characters).

Camn, are you saying Moto Guzzi changed to "KS" when the "LongFrame" was introduced with the additionally braced front subframe and lower rear subframe that connects forward to the bottom of the engine case?

FWIW my long frame 2002 LeMans has a "KR" VIN.  Maybe a KS frame doesn't have fuel pump mounting tabs?

• Thanks 1