H4 LED + other LED lighting

docc

I like the heat sink idea. And the "warmer" color (4300-4800K), but I'm not seeing that combination.

It looks like the lumen output  for the standard incandescent H4 is ~910 lo / ~1800 hi.

It looks like the lumen output  for the standard incandescent H4 is ~910 lo / ~1800 hi.

I actually measured my headlight lux output before & after using a phone app, not that accurate,  but it gives a comparison. BTW lux is lumens per Sq metre, so lux is a more useful unit.
Headlight Lamp on V11.jpg

Man, i didn't realize that you produced that comparison. I thought it was from some commercially produced source. Well done! :thumbsup:

Very good point on the matter of Lux versus Lumen, yet manufacturers only typically publish the latter?

It appears your Cu LED produces about triple the "light?"

It appears your Cu LED produces about triple the "light?"

Well yes, triple the light from a dim Phillips 55/60 watt halogen lamp. There are brighter halogen and xenon incandescent lamps about.

I tried the higher output halogens (Sylvania Silver Star), but they were just too unreliable. Some might last months, but I changed one before an important ride preemptively, and it didn't last weeks.

Good math. I ride about 100 hours per year. 

It appears  H4 LED products are in a constant state of development these days. Perhaps the perfect compact, 5000 lumen, 4300 Kelvin, heat sink unit is on the horizon . . .

• Like 1

so did we ever find an H4 LED plug 'n play bulb that fits a Guzzi headlight bucket?

The V11 bucket is about the same size as the 850T one. About 5in deep. For $20 you can confirm the bulbs I recommended work.

so did we ever find an H4 LED plug 'n play bulb that fits a Guzzi headlight bucket?

The V11 bucket is about the same size as the 850T one. About 5in deep. For $20 you can confirm the bulbs I recommended work.

Both those bulbs, posted in Post#3  are "only" 2000 lumen and neither list the color spectrum.

Both those bulbs, posted in Post#3  are "only" 2000 lumen and neither list the color spectrum.

I didn't know there was now a lumen and color requirement.  :huh:  :blink:  :unsure:  :wacko: 

Well, as noted, I've seen H4 LED with as little as 1000 lumen and as much as 8000. The standard incandescent hi-beam is around 1850.

One member in the other thread (I believe Moto fugazzi) commented that the blue-white light is not as effective as the warmer (more yellow) color in rain and fog. I've heard similar comments from the automotive side.

(Sw'dave, I have one of the LED tail light units you posted elsewhere, but haven't installed yet.)

Well, as noted, I've seen H4 LED with as little as 1000 lumen and as much as 8000. The standard incandescent hi-beam is around 1850.

One member in the other thread (I believe Moto fugazzi) commented that the blue-white light is not as effective as the warmer (more yellow) color in rain and fog. I've heard similar comments from the automotive side.

(Sw'dave, I have one of the LED tail light units you posted elsewhere, but haven't installed yet.)

So the $20 bulb puts out 200 lumen and the regular one is 1850 and you're complaining?

The blue/white is very effective at one thing, drivers seeing you.