H4 LED + other LED lighting

docc

Well, as noted, I've seen H4 LED with as little as 1000 lumen and as much as 8000. The standard incandescent hi-beam is around 1850.

One member in the other thread (I believe Moto fugazzi) commented that the blue-white light is not as effective as the warmer (more yellow) color in rain and fog. I've heard similar comments from the automotive side.

(Sw'dave, I have one of the LED tail light units you posted elsewhere, but haven't installed yet.)

So the $20 bulb puts out 200 lumen and the regular one is 1850 and you're complaining?

The blue/white is very effective at one thing, drivers seeing you.

It seems like if I'm going to go to the trouble to "upgrade", I would want a significant difference in output. I realize that the cost, and the heat, rise with the output, while longevity/reliability go down.

I didn't mean to start a separate headlight thread, as I was hoping the member who had posted an alternative LED would post up. It wasn't posted on the JBBenson's main thread, but somewhere else.

Still, I appreciate all the links and the education. At this point, I would like to find a heat sink (no fan) unit with 4000+ lumen and color range less than 5000 Kelvin.

Ain't hard to figure out how much space you have in the bucket. But I'd be surprised if you had 35mm.

HTB1XwhhLFXXXXb5XFXXq6xXFXXXj.jpg?size=7

My best methods yield *right-at* 45 mm from the H4 base plate to the back of the bucket.

If the fan exhausts backward through the honeycomb, maybe a vent cut in the back of the bucket would be exactly right?

If the fan exhausts radially, then it's simply a close fit (10 mm behind the heat sink/ fan housing).

What they don't show you is the wiring required for that light. Well, they show it but not attached.

What they don't show you is the wiring required for that light. Well, they show it but not attached.

Truly. I have been trying to discern the wiring. The connector to the driver *looks* very similar to the AMP connector for the V11 headlamp, but it's not the same. What to cut and solder this time? That would be far from "plug&play ". . . .

gallery_328_223_549668.jpeg

sorry.  do we have an answer?

Depends on the question(s), I suppose.

I have the 4000LM/4300K "bulb" on the way.

*[edit 6 June 2017: this unit plugs in with any wiring changes, everything fits easily in the early Bosch bucket, actaul 10-11 mm clearance behind the heat sink/ fan outlet.]

The unit that MartyNZ posted with the copper coils looks like it works, "plug&play," if you're okay with the output and the color.

I thought Swoosh made a good point about the white/blue lights perhaps being more visible to other road users.

Yet, I personally prefer to  look out upon the road with a warmer (more yellow) light. I figure if it's bright enough, it will still have good conspicuity.

After all, cagers still pull in front of fire trucks painted Safety Yellow with lights and sirens going . . . :glare:

• 2 weeks later...

So, this unit came today. Twelve days (including two weekends and a US holiday) from China.  :thumbsup: The unit was packaged very well and looks to be very high quality. The driver is integrated with the plug, so it is indeed a plug in unit. Just a matter of grooming the wiring and small driver in the bucket.

gallery_328_223_1276159.jpeg

There is ~10-11 mm (3/8") behind the fan outlet/ heat sink housing. I'm pleased with that (so far!)