H4 LED + other LED lighting

docc

7 hours ago, luhbo said:

Yep. I feel safer when I ride as if I were invisible. Or as Docc correctly wrote: they pull out in front of 'full bright' fire trucks anyway. Besides that this attitude makes me feel as if I could safely  ride on in my dark riding gear: waxed muck over black Dainese leathers :)

That's the first thing I tell new riders. Pretend you are invisible. If you expect a car to slow down or swerve to miss you, you are seriously screwing up.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 10/13/2019 at 5:21 PM, docc said:

Pretty sure the cheap Cinese LED unit needs replaced after 2 1/3 years and just over 10,000 miles/ 16.000 km. I see my lo-beam now looks brighter than the hi-beam. Not sure what's up, but time to open it up, have a look, and replace the cheap unit with the external driver with this from VintageCars:

VCm3-DualBulb-C-570x570.jpg

Not sure why, but this unit has hesitated to come on a few times at start-up for a moment or two. I am running power back through the two front relays instead of a dedicated power/ground, but I didn't see any other signs of relay failure. Just inspected the connections in the bucket and all seems fine. I decided to take an IR heat reading on the LED unit's base after three minutes on hi-beam. Hottest spots I found were 100ºF/ 38ºC. I thought that very acceptable.

On 12/15/2019 at 2:30 PM, docc said:

Not sure why, but this unit has hesitated to come on a few times at start-up for a moment or two. I am running power back through the two front relays instead of a dedicated power/ground, but I didn't see any other signs of relay failure. Just inspected the connections in the bucket and all seems fine. I decided to take an IR heat reading on the LED unit's base after three minutes on hi-beam. Hottest spots I found were 100ºF/ 38ºC. I thought that very acceptable.

Seems I have Starter Relay (#1) trouble after running the headlamp current back through the relay stack. Could be connectivity. Could be that even a High Current OMRON Best Relay will only last so long when it ain't "Livin' Easy."  Trying to figure out why my tach is not affected; something to do with the way the Speedhut is fed.

But it is definitely not the VintageCars LED unit failing.

• 5 months later...

I was recently inspired to try and improve my headlight.  Didn't succeed, but thought my experience might be useful to share.  The deflector inside my original shell came loose some years back, and though I've been able to wire it back in the sort of vicinity of its proper location, the output and pattern is silly poor.

I tried a 7" Grote sealed beam from Summit Racing (https://www.summitracing.com/parts/gte-90941-5), hoping it could be adapted without too much fuss.  I found that some fuss would been needed.  I may eventually go that route, if I can convince an engineer buddy to design and 3D print an adapter.  In the meanwhile, I'll be sticking to daylight riding.  I would be happy to hear of a source for a fully intact OEM unit.

GROTE IN SITU.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hello..based on my observation If you go the LED bulb route, the Phillips Ultinons seem to be the preferred route, albeit the most expensive on the market. The LED light source is designed to match the filament location of the halogen bulbs, complete with the low beam shroud for a stock like cutoff. Are they leaps and bounds better than halogen?

https://www.7pcb.com/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AvrilPress said:

Hello..based on my observation If you go the LED bulb route, the Phillips Ultinons seem to be the preferred route, albeit the most expensive on the market. The LED light source is designed to match the filament location of the halogen bulbs, complete with the low beam shroud for a stock like cutoff. Are they leaps and bounds better than halogen?

Here's some info on the Phillips bulb:

https://www.philips.co.in/c-p/12953BWX2/x-tremeultinon-led-headlight-bulb#see-all-benefits

It doesn't seem to mention the actual wattage though, whether less than the halogen or not.

I've tried to steer clear of the no-name LED bulbs of various application as they just don't seem to hold up or perform well, and it's taken years for Sylvania and Philips to start making LEDs for many of the automobile, etc applications.  But they've started to do more in recent years, so I may have to check them out.  It would be great to have a cheaper bulb solution than an entire light assembly swap, especially if the bulb is just about as good.

Here's one review I found, and one might wonder if the heat sink would fit in the LeMans bucket.

• 1 year later...
On 10/13/2019 at 5:21 PM, docc said:

Pretty sure the cheap Chinese LED unit needs replaced after 2 1/3 years and just over 10,000 miles/ 16.000 km. I see my lo-beam now looks brighter than the hi-beam. Not sure what's up, but time to open it up, have a look, and replace the cheap unit with the external driver with this from VintageCars:

VCm3-DualBulb-C-570x570.jpg

The VintageCar LED is still going strong, 2 3/4 years and almost 12,000 miles/20.000 km, it has outlasted the poorly made Chinese unit and all of the hi-wattage (and hot!) Sylvania Silver Stars I used to use. Highly "conspicuous" and excellent beam patterns, both Lo- and Hi- (in the early V11 Sport steel bucket Bosch).

I opened the bucket today to change out the 4 watt City Light and everything looks great. No signs of excessive heat.

IMG_7576.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/9/2022 at 6:30 PM, docc said:

I opened the bucket today to change out the 4 watt City Light and everything looks great. No signs of excessive heat.

I noticed the parking light is always on when I turn on the ignition, coupled with low beam.

I would have thought this light would only be useful as a "parking light", so lighting on its own.

My 911 has a parking light position, if you are parked at night you can leave them on so the car stands out. Maybe Guzzi has something similar?

31 minutes ago, p6x said:

I noticed the parking light is always on when I turn on the ignition, coupled with low beam.

I would have thought this light would only be useful as a "parking light", so lighting on its own.

My 911 has a parking light position, if you are parked at night you can leave them on so the car stands out. Maybe Guzzi has something similar?

I reply to my own query:

Parking
On badly lit roads, leave the parking lights on.

Turn the key switch to position P « » (see figure 3), and remove the key from the switch.

@docc

I still have a question: is the front light of the V11 sport and V11 Le Mans the same in terms of reflector and internal space?

The lamps are the same, so I suppose they should be identical, but I would rather confirm.

The early Sport (1999-2001) and Rosso Mandello use a more spacious Bosch unit with a steel bucket Instead of the later V11 "plastic bucket."

There were Sport, or "Naked" built throughout the model range with the headlight and instruments still fork mounted. AFAIK, all these use the earlier style Bosch unit.

• 7 months later...

I just read through this thread, and no one has mentioned the brand, so...

Has anyone tried out a JW Speaker "adaptive" headlight in a V11, specifically a Le Mans?

They are available in 7"

https://www.jwspeaker.com/products/adaptive-led-headlights-model-8790-adaptive-2/

or 5.75"

https://www.jwspeaker.com/products/adaptive-led-headlights-model-8690-adaptive-2/

and they are pretty expensive, I gather...

5 hours ago, docc said:

@andy york has run a JW Speaker in his LeMans (highest mileage V11 in the world!) for a good, long time . . .

DSCN3735.jpg

That looks a lot like the LEDPerf unit we were discussing in another thread.  Based upon the 7x price differential, I'm assuming it is not.  Although the LEDPerf unit is not adaptive, so maybe other than that it is?

Round LED headlight for Moto-Guzzi V11 Le Mans - 5 year warranty (ledperf.us)