H4 LED + other LED lighting

docc

11 hours ago, al_roethlisberger said:

.... Although the LEDPerf unit is not adaptive...

As I already mentioned, the one in the "Andy York" looks like it is not adaptive.

The adaptive ones from JW Speaker look completely different.

led-motorcycle-headlight-model-8790-adap

This is a handy model-specific search for compatible lights at JW:

Garage – J.W. Speaker (jwspeaker.com)

This one isn't shown in the compatibility list, but it is a 7" unit, and is more "classic" looking versus some of the others.  

LED Reflector Motorcycle Headlights - Model 8720 (jwspeaker.com)

...sure are expensive though :o as compared to the LEDPerf products:

Round LED headlight for Moto-Guzzi V11 Le Mans - 5 year warranty (ledperf.us)

But no telling how well the LEDPerf products are made, and also the LEDPerf products do not appear to be DOT certified for example.

20 hours ago, docc said:

@andy york has run a JW Speaker in his LeMans (highest mileage V11 in the world!) for a good, long time . . .

DSCN3735.jpg

I wonder if he documented this install to better understand how the LED lamp fit into the Lemans bucket, or not, etc.   I dropped Andy a message to see if he did.

It would be great to know if anyone has measured the dimensions of the interior of the Lemans bucket. 

Surely that has been done at some point over the last 20 years?  :P   Would be a good FAQ item probably.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, audiomick said:

I just read through this thread, and no one has mentioned the brand, so...

Has anyone tried out a JW Speaker "adaptive" headlight in a V11, specifically a Le Mans?

They are available in 7"

https://www.jwspeaker.com/products/adaptive-led-headlights-model-8790-adaptive-2/

or 5.75"

https://www.jwspeaker.com/products/adaptive-led-headlights-model-8690-adaptive-2/

and they are pretty expensive, I gather...

They are expensive..I have purchased 3 from these people in the past...good people

https://motodemic.com/

Forgive for not only adding to a 16 page thread, but also for bringing up AliExpress again.

Numerous headlight choices can be had for little to no money.

https://www.aliexpress.com/w/wholesale-7-inch-motorcycle-headlight.html?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20230202092858&SearchText=7+inch+motorcycle+headlight&spm=a2g0o.home.1000002.0

5 hours ago, al_roethlisberger said:

.. DOT certified ...

That's the thing. As far as I know, the JW Speaker headlights have ECE approval. If I change the headlight (and I find the "adaptive" bit very intersting) the replacement must be approved. Going without that here can generate far more trouble than it is worth. :)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just coz I stumbled across this thread I thought I'd put in my bodged effort to install an LED unit into the Sfida.

Yes I know the original H4 Bosch unit looks better, I could hardly think I'd do a better job than Arturo Magni after all. I was also careful to ensure I could easily change it back, I reckon the stock one could be back in, taking a little over an hour from start to finish.

I very rarely ride in the dark now, I wanted an LED unit to improve my visibility to others in daytime conditions. Purchased a Koso Thunderbolt, it has a flat Lo Beam so suitable for left and right side driving.

When it comes to 7" headlamps the measurement is a joke, the Bosch OEM unit is >300mm diameter (say 305), the Thunderbolt is 170mm.

After a lot of bodging and experimentation and regretting that the idea ever entered my tiny little brain I got something that, sort of, works.

Koso-TBolt-Final.jpg

I won't bore you with all the details, but in the end I'm reasonably pleased with the result. Was it worth the effort? DEFINATELY NOT.

That said it has yet to be tested out on the road and the LED running light on its own will be more visible to other traffic, due to the higher colour temp, than the H4 dip beam I reckon hope.

• Like 6

Just to add if anybody was wanting to install an LED unit that is smaller than the OEM, with a fairing and is foolish enough to want to know how I ended up with the headlamp looking halfway decent, I'm open to explaining it all.

Just didn't want to bore the lot of you when it's a V11 forum and that clearly is nothing like a V11

• Like 2

I've got one of those H4 LED replacements on both Guzzis (headlight buckets).  They were cited here a few years ago.  They're no brighter than OEM.  All in all a disappointment.  If someone has a better solution that will fit my Sport and EV, great to know.

thanks

• Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, LowRyter said:

I've got one of those H4 LED replacements on both Guzzis (headlight buckets).  They were cited here a few years ago.  They're no brighter than OEM.  All in all a disappointment.  If someone has a better solution that will fit my Sport and EV, great to know.

thanks

The cheap, Chinee LED H4 I tried burnt out at 10,000 miles, not unlike the immensely hot hi-wattage H4s I tried from Sylvania.

3 1/2 years/ 15,000 miles and still very pleased with this plug&play solution:

https://vintagecarleds.com/shop/bulbs-only/vcm3-bulbs-only/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

9 hours ago, docc said:

The cheap, Chinee LED H4 I tried burnt out at 10,000 miles, not unlike the immensely hot hi-wattage H4s I tried from Sylvania.

3 1/2 years/ 15,000 miles and still very pleased with this plug&play solution:

https://vintagecarleds.com/shop/bulbs-only/vcm3-bulbs-only/

at that price, I'd at least to hope they're bright.  OTOH....

I  haven't any bulbs to burn out on a bike since my '81 Seca 550.   <knock wood>

On 2/3/2023 at 4:54 AM, Weegie said:

Just coz I stumbled across this thread I thought I'd put in my bodged effort to install an LED unit into the Sfida.

Yes I know the original H4 Bosch unit looks better, I could hardly think I'd do a better job than Arturo Magni after all. I was also careful to ensure I could easily change it back, I reckon the stock one could be back in, taking a little over an hour from start to finish.

I very rarely ride in the dark now, I wanted an LED unit to improve my visibility to others in daytime conditions. Purchased a Koso Thunderbolt, it has a flat Lo Beam so suitable for left and right side driving.

When it comes to 7" headlamps the measurement is a joke, the Bosch OEM unit is >300mm diameter (say 305), the Thunderbolt is 170mm.

After a lot of bodging and experimentation and regretting that the idea ever entered my tiny little brain I got something that, sort of, works.

Koso-TBolt-Final.jpg

I won't bore you with all the details, but in the end I'm reasonably pleased with the result. Was it worth the effort? DEFINATELY NOT.

That said it has yet to be tested out on the road and the LED running light on its own will be more visible to other traffic, due to the higher colour temp, than the H4 dip beam I reckon hope.

That looks Great! Is that in your bedroom? can't blame ya mate. Any explanation you're up for re installation I'll be watching.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, footgoose said:

That looks Great! Is that in your bedroom? can't blame ya mate. Any explanation you're up for re installation I'll be watching.

Not in my bedroom, its the basement, I can wheel the bikes in from the back of the house, makes Winter maintenance a little more bearable.

Thank you for the compliment, I'm still unsure about the look, but it was the best I could manage, not that's saying very much.

I'll post up what I did, but it was all a bit "Bodge it yourself" there was no grand plan.

More WTF have I gotten myself into and WTF will I do now trying to get an install that looked even halfway decent.

• Haha 1