How many relays?

footgoose

my '01 has 5

BTW, my first failed Guzzi relay was a Bosch fuel pump relay on this bike.  I've replaced all the relays on both my Guzzis with Pyro Dan.  And I might add that all 5 of Dan's relays costs about the same a single replacement at the Auto Parts store.

Do all our bikes have 5 relays? 99-04 Sport/LM

Speaking with an owner of an early (112636) Sport, he said early bikes have 3. I can't find anything showing 3 in searching.

Are you sure he wasn't talking about the early Sport 1100s? As far as I know all V11s have 5.

• Like 1

Thanks lowryter. I got a slew of Pyro Dans' GEI's as well. Had 1 #5 fail after one season. Can't say for sure what's behind relay fails. Bad relay or problematic conditions?

Chuck. Nope, it's an early 2000. could be a 99 build, not sure. The vin falls into the early pre "canted" trees (per info on this forum) 

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18331

Docc providing some good "early bike" info. The bike in question has a front axle nut, putting it into the early bike category, per Greg Feld.

I haven't seen under the seat, but he says he only has 3. It's a bike I was looking to buy and that was unexpected.

I've never seen, or heard of, a V11 with less than 5 relays. The Sport1100 (carbs) definitely has 3, not sure about the pre-V11 injected Guzzis.  Post a pic of under the seat on that "3-relay" V11 and we can check it out . . .

Read up on the relays. There is no reason on earth, at this point, to fall into a relay failure. They have been quite common. Why? Because so many relays simply are not up to the current requirements.  Sure, there (may be) guys still running their original Seimans. But why take the chance? Run the Best Relays (they're pretty much the same money):

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19755&page=5&&do=findComment&comment=216605

• 4 weeks later...

Wow! Never seen a RedFrame Sport with three relays! What is the 10th digit of the VIN & build date from the left headstock tag?

10th is Y. The bike is out of his hands now. Build date is unavailable. I was considering it for purchase but I had some hesitation because of this and a couple other issues. I took some time and missed out on it. I should have acted quicker. Interesting difference. A carry over from the 1100 Sport I suppose.

Hm . . . three different relays held by a "Zip-tie" and some loose-looking wiring/ heat shrink . . . not a very factory" looking set-up at all. :huh2:

Hm . . . three different relays held by a "Zip-tie" and some loose-looking wiring/ heat shrink . . . not a very factory" looking set-up at all. :huh2:

I have to agree with Docc on this. It may have 3 relays but to myself it appears that in no way is this a factory installation.

Our red frame V11 has 5 relays, originally made by Siemens (they failed).

That relay installation is clearly not factory. That does not mean it did not have 3 from the factory, but that picture is not of a factory installation of 3 relays. Even the space for the relays is big enough for 5 relays.

I have not seen one with 3 relays from the factory, but I can't say I have seen that many.

I know the carbed  Sport 1100 has three relays. Not sure about the later injected 1100Sport-i?

I wonder what that pictured harness is for. Centauro have three relays?

I have the same pic in my copy of the "V11 LeMans 2002" spare parts catalogue. (Catalogue code: 01 92 00 90, Date of issue: 07/02), sheet I1 showing "Electric system". However, there is another sheet (H13), showing two more relays (ECU + Injectors).

Five altogether...  :oldgit:

Parts books are made before production. A good guess is that they originally thought of using 3 relays like the earlier bikes but then switched to 5 but never updated the documentation.