Re-seal a 6-Speed Transmission

Scud

This bike has only 5,000 miles. There is no noticeable gear wear. But I do think it's worth removing as much rust as possible from the output shaft. I'll remove the rust from the driveshaft too - then use Staburags grease for the splines (that's the recommended lube for BMW K-bike splines, but the Guzzi is assembled dry).

The seals all looked good and with such low mileage I decided to leave them in. Just put a little gear oil around the lip when you re-assemble.

First time I did this I was really nervous. But I've done three now, and the other two work. Like a lot of things, it's not so hard once you get into it. And a tranny service can be very expensive.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Excellent documentation and photographs!  This is one of those projects that we hope we never need to do, but when we do, it's great to have the step by step procedure already done and available.  Thanks for posting.

Jerry

• 5 years later...

Awesome, Thanks Scud!

Art

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I recently tightened the two lower trans bolts when I discovered some oil in the area; they were surprisingly loose. I do not want to do this, well documented thanks to @Scud, repair.

• Like 2

Spotted a drip on the floor from the Rosso Corsa 1 month ago, WHAT.   Happened to be the same, 1 a bit loose, 2nd just needed a touch. I'l keep an eye on it.

Cheers Tom.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LaGrasta said:

I recently tightened the two lower trans bolts when I discovered some oil in the area; they were surprisingly loose. I do not want to do this, well documented thanks to @Scud, repair.

59 minutes ago, Tomchri said:

Spotted a drip on the floor from the Rosso Corsa 1 month ago, WHAT.   Happened to be the same, 1 a bit loose, 2nd just needed a touch. I'l keep an eye on it.

Cheers Tom.

We are talking about these bolts of the rear cover?

35298978460_663d1a0758_z.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LaGrasta said:

I'm speaking of the two just above the oil pan, in back.

At the very back of the gearbox. as shown above, or where the gearbox joins the back of the engine above the back of the engine oil sump?

55 minutes ago, LaGrasta said:

"where the gearbox joins the back of the engine"

DSCN0754.JPG

Ah, yes, finding oil between the engine and gearbox has numerous sources, some easy and others not so. Start with the nefarious crankcase vent tube and its connection at the top of that junction.

My odyssey and the leak sources detailed:

• Thanks 1

And my 2 bolts were botton left and middle rear cover.

Cheers Tom.

26 minutes ago, Tomchri said:

And my 2 bolts were botton left and middle rear cover.

Cheers Tom.

Definitely those bolts could offer up a gearoil drip at the rear.

Oil leak where @LaGrasta found his at the motor-gearbox junction would "most likely" be motor oil, although there are two gearoil leak sources in that space, as well.  Some of those motor-gearbox interface leaks can destroy a clutch, so worth investigating/sorting.