Re-seal a 6-Speed Transmission

Scud

This oil leak won't stop. If I look up in there close enough, there is what I believe to be an Allen screw with no possible way to tighten it as it is blocked. Although I'm not sure if this would help anyway. I'm dreading to admit it, but I think it may be the more difficult fix for this one!

11 minutes ago, LaGrasta said:

This oil leak won't stop. If I look up in there close enough, there is what I believe to be an Allen screw with no possible way to tighten it as it is blocked. Although I'm not sure if this would help anyway. I'm dreading to admit it, but I think it may be the more difficult fix for this one!

as docc suggests.... "crankcase vent tube and its connection at the top of that junction"  - eliminate this possible first.

8 out of 10 leaks in the area you are referring to come from cracks in the vent tube. As an added benefit you'll be seeing to a known issue these bikes have, even if it's not the source.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Yup, the forum speaks the truth, crankcase vent tube! For being a vent hose, it sured spewed a lot of oil, whats a mess!

Pricing seems to be $70 at MGC or about $30 using a heater core hose at an auto parts store.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, LaGrasta said:

Yup, the forum speaks the truth, crankcase vent tube! For being a vent hose, it sured spewed a lot of oil, whats a mess!

Pricing seems to be $70 at MGC or about $30 using a heater core hose at an auto parts store.

I can find a reference for this, but the heater hose was thoroughly investigated and is not chemically compatible with the application.  Definitely go with the Guzzi part.

• Thanks 1

@footgoose  Seems only Harper's still has inventory.

https://www.harpermoto.com/13-oil-return-pipe-1162300.html

I'll do the heater hose mod, and keep an eye on it, even replace it every 15k. What is the copper fitting mod you're referring to?

8 minutes ago, LaGrasta said:

if the OEM were readily available and not price gouged, then I would go OEM.

When ordering from a US dealer, certainly give a phone call to confirm inventory/availability: MGCycle/WI, HarperMoto/MO, AF1 Racing/TX, Cadre cycle/ OH.

Also consider TLM/The Netherlands, Stein-Dinse/Germany, and Agostini/ Mandello, Italy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, LaGrasta said:

@footgoose  Seems only Harper's still has inventory.

https://www.harpermoto.com/13-oil-return-pipe-1162300.html

I'll do the heater hose mod, and keep an eye on it, even replace it every 15k. What is the copper fitting mod you're referring to?

While pursuing the same fix as you are now, back in 2015?, I came across the heater hose fix iirc here on this forum. I used 3/4 id Insulone hose cut into 3 pieces (1 long 2 short) and 2 copper plumbing angles to make the hard bends and create a similar shape to oem. Can't recall what size or degree of bend the copper was. 45 or 90

My set up is still there and still clean and solid 6-7years later. That said,..  heater hose mfg specify "not suitable for fuel or oil". And THAT said, It would appear to me that the oem hose is also not particularly suitable for fuel or oil. Also realize that my bike has done less than 1000mi per year since then, but the gasses have still been a factor and ymmv. I won't be replacing my "fix" till it shows some kind of breakdown. I will pursue something better next time.

https://www.daycoaftermarket.com/en/product/insulone-heater-hose/

I probly got mine at NAPA...

copper at Lowes

I used screw hose clamps (that everyone says not to) cuz I'm a rebel:ph34r:

I love Harpers but don't trust it being in stock IN their possession, call to verify.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The OEM hose ain't suitable for anything , but it has the correct angles ! It is rubber (I think) only w/no cloth woven into it . This stuff deteriorates the moment it is removed from the plastic bag it comes in . i thught mine was in PERFECT shape until I went to look at how to R&R it to give advice to a member on this site . Yuck , it was junk .

Harper's : mmmmm. good luck . MG cycle : I use them since Joe Eish is NLA .

• Like 2

On 12/1/2022 at 3:41 PM, gstallons said:

The OEM hose ain't suitable for anything , but it has the correct angles ! It is rubber (I think) only w/no cloth woven into it . This stuff deteriorates the moment it is removed from the plastic bag it comes in . i thught mine was in PERFECT shape until I went to look at how to R&R it to give advice to a member on this site . Yuck , it was junk .

Harper's : mmmmm. good luck . MG cycle : I use them since Joe Eish is NLA .

That's a notable name you don't hear mentioned often (Joe Eish).  A legend in MG motorcycle parts for sure.  Have heard much of that inventory is still just sitting there. 

Edited by Tom in Virginia
  • Like 1

I am sorry to hear . He and his wife were extraordinary ! When I first started buying from them . the parts came in washing powder boxes torn into the appropriate size and taped up with masking tape along w/a grocery store ticket .  You got it with a MGNOC discount and open account .

They both have passed , along with most of my friends .

On 11/27/2022 at 9:47 AM, LaGrasta said:

Mine busted off of the motor while rolling down the freeway. Ran all over the rear of the bike, exhausts and rear tire sidewalls. Fortunately, it didn't drip onto the center tread of the tire. The smoke cloud was so bad, that a cop saw it from 2 miles away and stopped to see if it was OK.

• Sad 1