80 in Neutral

bbolesaz

At least that what the little green light thought rolling down the Loop 202 this morning. 

Guessing a shorted wire somewhere or maybe the switch is backing out of the hole.

Add it to the list for this weekend.

At least that what the little green light thought rolling down the Loop 202 this morning. 

Guessing a shorted wire somewhere or maybe the switch is backing out of the hole.

Add it to the list for this weekend.

Remember its made in Italy, the neutral light lives an independant life of its own and answers to no one:)

Ciao

Look around where the wire the N light connector plugs in to the switch and follow the wire as far as you can looking for pinch points , cuts or signs of abrasion . If this is ok then unplug the connector and ride for one day . IDK how long it "normally" takes to flicker or come on . If it does come on the problem is still in the wiring harness somewhere . If the light remains out , the problem is in the switch .

• Like 1

Well on my ride home from work Friday, there was no neutral light except when I was actually in neutral. Today I tracked along the wiring and found no problems.  The switch itself looks odd.  I don't see how it gets threaded into the tranny case and it's an odd red color. Does anyone have a pix of what the neutral switch should look like?

Found a pic of what the neutral switch should look like.  Apparently, on my bike, a P.O. decided to put red RTV pookie all around the switch and fill up the hole.  I guess it was leaking and this was their bright solution.  I'm sure it's going to be big fun to dig all of that pookie out of the selector cover when it comes time to replace the switch.

I take off the shifter and linkage too. Don't forget to disconnect the battery ground first.

And you can slightly loosen the breather oil return fitting on the sump so you can move the hose further out of the way.