Re-engineering the Shift Spring

Scud

Any chance you will be able to shoot video during the various processes? So cool to be able to watch this fix happening all these years since the bikes were made. And people wonder what we chat about on the forum... aside from which color V11 Sport is the best... (Green, if you were wondering)  :helmet: 

Any chance you will be able to shoot video during the various processes? So cool to be able to watch this fix happening all these years since the bikes were made. And people wonder what we chat about on the forum... aside from which color V11 Sport is the best... (Green, if you were wondering)  :helmet: 

That would be no. I'm doing good just remembering to shoot an occasional still with my cell fone. Takes two hands to do this stuff..

Dark is much faster.

Alrighty, proof of concept worked out, now it's time to make a spring. We need a bending jig, though.. so draw it on the cad

38488776651_a6d0cb7817_c.jpg2017-11-17_05-16-13 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr

The green represents the spring, the blue some dowels, and the brown will be the lever that bends the wire. The numbers on the right are code to drive the cnc.

Found a piece of aluminum in my good junk pile, and drilled and reamed the three holes for pins and tapped the bigger one for a bolt to hold a mandrel that just fits the ID of the spring.

38457057952_635e895071_c.jpg2017-11-17_05-16-01 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr

I was a mold maker in a previous lifetime, and this is a hardened ejector pin.. used to eject parts off of a mold.

24616787358_4e8da56331_c.jpgIMG_20171117_163040512 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr

My aluminum piece is 1/2 inch thick, so cut 2 pins 3/4" long, and one 1" long with a fiber wheel in a die grinder.

38457050912_b89ef97e34_c.jpg2017-11-17_05-15-38 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr

Put the pins in the plate, and we're about done. The lever that will bend the spring is also shown. Forgot to take a picture while making it. It'll be turned over and pivot on the long pin on the right to bend the wire.

26712896449_c4d21da230_c.jpgIMG_20171117_170230229 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr

All that's left is to turn the mandrel, so chucked up a piece of mild steel I found in the good junk box.. and.. Tweeeet. Quitting whistle. It's beer o'clock.

38457047952_1f0aaa2ded_c.jpg2017-11-17_05-15-15 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr

More tomorrow, with any luck at all..

• Like 5

My pleasure, Docc.. I like making stuff. It's what I do.. :)

Back in 2003, my gearbox started pitching hissy-fits.  I asked after it on the *more usual* place for (US) internet discussion.

I was told two things:

1) [and I paraphrase deeply], "Give 'er a good and solid boot. Yer just a Jap-bike weenie and don't have the grit fer a real Guzzi gearbox." . . .  and:

2) "Hey, ya know, there's a *new* forum that just popped up and you might get some answers there: V11LeMans.com."

Quite quickly, a couple things came to light:

1) :notworthy:  The dedicated members and contributors to V11LeMans.com (worldwide) are The Foremost Experts on the V11 and the early 6speeder.

2) :luigi:   The early gearboxes were recalled and we have fussed with the nefarious spring ever-since. (I told y'all my gearbox didn't shift right!) . . .

How amazing is it that there are such dedicated enthusiasts to go this deeply into creating solutions and sharing them with the worldwide community? :thumbsup:

• Like 7

Hi guys,

When searching for shift springs on MI's website, I came across this note on the spring: “The 2007 preselector shaft update (01237032) is your best assurance against a broken shift spring.” I didn't know about this before. When I ordered a new spring about a year ago, I didn't see that note there.

The preselector shaft on sale is version 3, and has a note saying "Guzzi's answer to breaking return springs in V11 transmissions."

Has anyone heard about this, or am I just out of touch? How would it do that?

My springs break on the coil, not at the right-angle bend that engages with the preselector shaft. I find it hard to see how the preselector shaft would influence the life of the spring. (Tried to post the parts book drawing but it wouldn't let me. But the shaft is no. 27.)

I got some information from MI, but from the explanation I think there was confusion about which spring I was referring to.

Anyone here understand this please?

Cheers,  Jim.

.  I find it hard to see how the preselector shaft would influence the life of the spring. (Tried to post the parts book drawing but it wouldn't let me. But the shaft is no. 27.)

It should be ok on your Coppa, but the shaft was 1mm oversized on the earlier bikes. This would cause coil binding when the ID of the torsion spring became smaller as the legs rotated.

In this thread, we've discovered that the Guzzi design puts the spring into over travel. That is what we are trying to cure.. either by a different torsion spring or a coil spring. To be determined..

Thanks Chuck. I think we're "crowdsourcing" this and you will not be out of pocket by the end. If you need some cash for supplies, tools (or stiffer suspenders) let us know.

• Like 1

Oh, no problem. I already have the red suspenders for being the oldest at the Ohio rally.  :)

Dang! This scale is 9 bux!!

Why am I here in the house instead of out in the shop making springs? I don't want to walk out there in the rain and lightning.  :huh2:

Why am I here in the house instead of out in the shop making springs?

I do hope these are American and not English suspenders you are twanging, or do you have a party going on over there?

If the answer to these two questions are related in any way I don't want to know about it, and I definitely don't want to see any pictures.

Hi guys,

When searching for shift springs on MI's website, I came across this note on the spring: “The 2007 preselector shaft update (01237032) is your best assurance against a broken shift spring.” I didn't know about this before. When I ordered a new spring about a year ago, I didn't see that note there.

The preselector shaft on sale is version 3, and has a note saying "Guzzi's answer to breaking return springs in V11 transmissions."

Has anyone heard about this, or am I just out of touch? How would it do that?

My springs break on the coil, not at the right-angle bend that engages with the preselector shaft. I find it hard to see how the preselector shaft would influence the life of the spring. (Tried to post the parts book drawing but it wouldn't let me. But the shaft is no. 27.)

I got some information from MI, but from the explanation I think there was confusion about which spring I was referring to.

Anyone here understand this please?

Cheers,  Jim.

38449113276_250b08ce55_b.jpgScreen Shot 2017-11-18 at 10.30.35 AM by swooshdave, on Flickr