Re-engineering the Shift Spring

Scud

Loc-tite makes a thread repair kit they call Form-a-Thread. I've not used it before, but it may be worth a try. (in addition to longer bolts if possible.

Edit - I see you already sealed it. There are lot of bolts on the cover, so chances are that the sealant and the ones you can get to proper torque will do the job.

Edited by Scud
  • Like 2

Scud, sending you a paypal for one of the super springs...my original spring is living on borrowed time!

Thanks for all the hard work making V11's even better than when new!

Andy

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Yes - I still have plenty of springs. Boxing a few today for shipment this week. Sorry, but I've been busy with various other stuff. Haven't even been on a decent ride for 2 months.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

• 1 month later...

I just spent the prior evening reading/re-reading all 56 pages of this thread, and although it has been said many times; Scud and Chuck deserve a huge "thank you" for all the hard work and perseverance to see this project through to the end.

So now with a few years in production, and it looks like at least 10s of thousands of miles of real-world use, it appears that we haven't heard of any of the improved springs failing?

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 11/6/2017 at 8:50 AM, Chuck said:

. . .  A "better" spring might just cure the problem . . . 

. . .     I have an "Experimental department.."   :rasta:

Jus' sayin' . . . :luigi:

25127757876_6c86890a69_c.jpg

• 1 month later...

New to the forum and amazed by the depth of knowledge and generosity in sharing of information.

I have a 2004 Cafe Sport which has been largely trouble free fortunately.  We are planning some longer trips this year so I’m spending some time on this forum and making sure I’ve addressed as many potential problem areas as possible.

I wasn’t aware of the spring issue so I’d be interested in ordering a couple of yours to have on hand for our trip.  If there are still some available?

Is it inevitable that the original spring fails in your experience?  I have about 40,000 km on the bike.

Thanks in advance!

Gary

• Like 3

If Scud doesn't get back to you shortly, I have one. There's really no need to get two..:huh2:

Oh, and if you feel the need, I have six Lucky Phil Shifter Extenders from the Absolutely Last LPSE run left. :whistle::D

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hmm, somehow I completely missed discussions on the Lucky Phil Shift Extender. I tried a search but didn't come up with anything. Please do tell.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Hi Chuck…did some reader on your shift extender and I’d like to pick one of those up in addition to the super spring.

Whats the cost and how do we go forward with the purchase?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks mikev and docc. Tapatalk doesn't seem to like your links, so will have to do from my laptop when I get home tonight.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

• Like 1