Valpollini Rocker cover gaskets

Lucky Phil

Pete Roper kindly sent me a couple of these gaskets for my Grisso valve cover conversion and I thought I would give everyone a look at them. They appear to be a thin metal gasket with a pressure sensitive coating on both sides which is of a matt appearance quite different to the later Ducati rocker cover gaskets which are very much the same as the later Guzzi front crankcase metal gaskets. The later front crankcase gaskets also have a stamped raised profile which these Valpolini ones dont so they are quite different.

Shown for comparison is a Later front crankcase gasket, the Valpolini and an original style composite rocker gasket.

Pete swears by them which is good enough for me and it should get around the common issue of the composite gaskets breaking for no apparent reason. My last one I changed out about 6 months ago due leaking had for some reason decided to break. I dont overtorque stuff so dont know.

Ciao 

DSC00600.JPG

• Like 1

These are the “lifetime” gaskets?

I think I’ve almost always had a slight weep on my VCs

I used to think mine was the same, just one of those character details. Till someone reminded me that I could flatten them on a piece of plate glass. Stopped the weep.

But I would prefer to have the reusable vitron gaskets that fit on the Griso

• Like 1

Where might these be ordered Phil? Google is a bit skittish with that question.

Try Pete Roper at Moto Moda ( or send him a PM) or Valpolini.

http://www.valpolini.com/index.php/home-en/prodotto?&fID=1574

Sorry I spelt Valpolini with 2 "L's" in the heading.

Ciao

I used to think mine was the same, just one of those character details. Till someone reminded me that I could flatten them on a piece of plate glass. Stopped the weep.

I recently had the opportunity to check a piece of 10mm flat plate glass on my granite surface plate expecting it to be dead flat, it wasnt. Turns out it was around 0.002" out over about a 400mm length. Just for info purposes as I was led to believe a piece of float plate glas was dead flat. Would be fine to flatten a rocker cover though I would think.

Ciao 

I never have a problem with paper gaskets, even though I re-use them several years and many valve clearance checks (in the California and LM3).

I usually ordered them per ten (or a dozen if I felt Standard). By now I don't order them anymore and I always find them in drawers all over the place.

If your in the Netherlands and happen to have a leaking rocker cover gasket, call me. :)

• Like 2

I recently had the opportunity to check a piece of 10mm flat plate glass on my granite surface plate expecting it to be dead flat, it wasnt. Turns out it was around 0.002" out over about a 400mm length. Just for info purposes as I was led to believe a piece of float plate glas was dead flat. Would be fine to flatten a rocker cover though I would think.

Ciao

What !! This was a 1/2” thick, sorry 12.7 mm thick piece & I had it laying on the machined part of my sawtable. That’s as true as it gets in my shop. But good to know. It all depends on the degree of precision needed I guess.

Ciao

What !! This was a 1/2” thick, sorry 12.7 mm thick piece & I had it laying on the machined part of my sawtable. That’s as true as it gets in my shop. But good to know. It all depends on the degree of precision needed I guess.

Yea, I was disappointed to find it wasnt dead flat as well.

Ciao 

The last time I was out at the step Kid's place in California, we were helping him clean out the garage/workshop/serious junk storage area. He was rolling a big chuck of something on his dolly, and said, "Hey, Chuck.. do you have any idea of what this is? It's *really* heavy."  I took one look at it and thought, "Horry Carp. It's a granite surface plate. A *nice* one, too." The previous owner of the house used to restore Indians, and must have been a pretty serious mechanic to have that.  :grin:  I told Jim what it was, and *somebody* wants it and will pay good money for it. Don't throw it in the dumpster.. :oldgit:

• Like 1

The last time I was out at the step Kid's place in California, we were helping him clean out the garage/workshop/serious junk storage area. He was rolling a big chuck of something on his dolly, and said, "Hey, Chuck.. do you have any idea of what this is? It's *really* heavy."  I took one look at it and thought, "Horry Carp. It's a granite surface plate. A *nice* one, too." The previous owner of the house used to restore Indians, and must have been a pretty serious mechanic to have that.  :grin:  I told Jim what it was, and *somebody* wants it and will pay good money for it. Don't throw it in the dumpster.. :oldgit:

I love my granite plate Chuck, I bought it at an auction along with another which I gave to a mate that has an engineering business. As a matter of fact the image of the gaskets is taken on the protective cover for the plate. I also have another 2 steel plates about 2/3 the size of the granite one. One of these plates has a purpose made holder that has a role of wet and dry that you feed onto it and the paper clamps down onto the plate so you can flatten things on it, lovely. 

The advantage of the granit plate is that even if it gets damaged it will chip but still be flat unlike a steel plate that if damaged will have a raised part at the damage location. 

Ciao

• 3 years later...

reviving thread....

Are the Valpolini's still considered a good way to go for valve cover gaskets?  if so, can anyone point toward where to source them?  the web site seems to just show the Griso/rounded gasket (?)

1 hour ago, Gmc28 said:

reviving thread....

Are the Valpolini's still considered a good way to go for valve cover gaskets?  if so, can anyone point toward where to source them?  the web site seems to just show the Griso/rounded gasket (?)

Griso 1100 will fit.

Ciao

Thanks gentlemen.  
MG cycle has gaskets, but I don’t see that they’re Valpolini (?)

I can order straight from Valpolini if it’s worth the wait? Not a big deal, just am finally getting to the winter maintenance on Red, and Greenie will follow, and noodling whether to order the usual gaskets or try the Valpolini that many have talked about.