Summer tour 2018

Pressureangle

Just posted an inquiry about a possible ride out to Edmonds & Portland and back TBD in 2019.

https://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20628

WAY slower, shorter, and more modest in all ways than yours ... more a ladle-list item in scope than your bucket or tub!.   :notworthy: 

Anyway, if thoughts beyond your posted great stuff, let me know here or wrhagan AT earthlink DOT net.

Grazie mille.

Bill

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Just posted an inquiry about a possible ride out to Edmonds & Portland and back TBD in 2019.

WAY slower, shorter, and more modest in all ways than yours ... more a ladle-list item in scope than your bucket or tub!.   :notworthy:

Anyway, if thoughts beyond your posted great stuff, let me know here or wrhagan AT earthlink DOT net.

Grazie mille.

Bill

1. Take twice as long as you need to.

2. Stay twice as long as you thought you would.

3. Stop for more pictures than I did.

4. Consider installing the INNOV K2 cameras. I still haven't put together all the segments, because...well I didn't have enough discovery before I left and have to stitch together a bunch of short clips. The camera isn't terribly expensive nor hard to install, and if you give yourself a week with it around home to tune the settings- and remember to clean the lens every time you ride through something you're sure you want to keep- you'll have some outstanding video of the ride with zero effort while riding.

• Like 1

Grazie mille.

Bill

1. Take twice as long as you need to.

2. Stay twice as long as you thought you would.

3. Stop for more pictures than I did.

4. Consider installing the INNOV K2 cameras. I still haven't put together all the segments, because...well I didn't have enough discovery before I left and have to stitch together a bunch of short clips. The camera isn't terribly expensive nor hard to install, and if you give yourself a week with it around home to tune the settings- and remember to clean the lens every time you ride through something you're sure you want to keep- you'll have some outstanding video of the ride with zero effort while riding.

Thanks.  Great points, sometimes forgotten, especially when one realizes there are more miles ahead than hours on the clock.

I have an older vid cam, but went to product's website to see about the INNOV K2: https://www.innovv.com/innovv-k2

Looks like a great system and is obviously several digital generations beyond my present one.

I especially like the "no hands" piece as I almost (rather literally  :blink:) killed myself on a W.V, twisty fumbling with that cam to get a still pic!  :pic:  Gave up on-board pic taking moments after I realized I had survived that experience and changed my underwear!

That said, fortunately (but unfortunately for moto-purchases) we are in the middle of some major home renovation$, so that cam may be too dear just now.  

Oh, and I forgot :whistle: , I'm up-gunning the Stornello's suspension front and rear, adding bash plate and crash bars (and rim tape for tubeless tires!), all with Kathi's smiling approval :wub:​  ... but a new cam just now might be buck too far.   :huh2:

Anyway, your "practice time" suggestion for it is duly noted, and I am months away from launch, so have time to build up the fiscal (and marital  :D ) wherewithal for that system.

Thanks again.

Bill

• Like 1

It looks like your route takes you by the grounds of Gen. Custer's miscalculation. The 'Ranger talk' that is sometimes available, is not to be missed. It would be worth it to try to align your tour schedule with theirs if at all possible. The 45 min presentation I attended in the afternoon, (by accident) was an account of the weeks and days leading up to, during, and after the battle. My talk was given by a Native female Ranger, giving both military and Native accounts, and at times was visibly moved.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Soooo...

Finally got around to washing and servicing the bike after the 10k... it literally got put away as it came in the driveway. Shame on me.

So, specifically to the rear drive oil question.

The bike pushed some gear lube past the seal onto the wheel the first time I pushed it 90mph. So I vented the fill plug by simply drilling a small hole, maybe .040" and fixing a grease zerk that had been gutted for a hose barb. On the trip, the thing spit oil all over the back of the bike through 4' of hose every time the speed got up.

To start, I went by the book and put in 230cc of Redline (V-Twin) Shockproof oil- dunno if that's the light or the heavy. I didn't add the moly, so was 20cc short of book anyway. 
I never checked the level again during the trip.
So today, I roached on my intent to flush the drive with a measured amount of solvent and simply drained it, leaving however much stuck to the gears. Oil returned was 165cc, not great I reckon. But the magnet only had a piffle of gray dust on it, and the color of the used oil I'll chalk to leftover moly from the previous owner- the previous oil was quite black.
The drive was checked for temperature regularly and often, never got warm enough to comment on. Guessing not more than 110*F. The teeth look great.
I refilled with 250cc of Redline Shockproof again.
So, while I had the plug out I took a small but very sturdy plastic screw cap from an unknown source that was a nice tight fit up in the recess of the plug, drilled the side of it with a vent hole which can breath into the box as the cap is tapered. So there is no direct path for the oil to be flung out the hole as before. 

I'll update after a good long stretch of turnpike, hopefully in the next day or to else it'll be 2 weeks. sBKiI6ai742OsJZQ0RtMzn48jDDPXniqQhdJwVe5g9UmHaYhj0KFNtArqT6bJgTud2AIfJWiR8N1UIJ9EG1Znsg6P_3YfA0p01n8dpoatPS-mebjieS2y4XY

I learned much to my chagrin that Shockproof heavy.. the pink stuff.. is so tenacious that it won't all drain out. Adding a measured amount will then over fill it and it will leak. A lot. :oldgit: I quit using it and went back to Mobil 1.

1 hour ago, Chuck said:

I learned much to my chagrin that Shockproof heavy.. the pink stuff.. is so tenacious that it won't all drain out. Adding a measured amount will then over fill it and it will leak. A lot. :oldgit: I quit using it and went back to Mobil 1.

Huh. Well, whatever was in it when I got it was thinner and black, and it still pushed out of the seal. Even putting in 250cc over the top of whatever stuck leaves the level low enough that I can't see it through the fill hole, so if I can control what comes out of the vent hole, it'll all be good. Hopefully this works, if not it may take a more sophisticated baffle. 

I'm not one to worry about overfilling gearboxes, unless you've seriously doubled down.

7 hours ago, Pressureangle said:

Huh. Well, whatever was in it when I got it was thinner and black, and it still pushed out of the seal. Even putting in 250cc over the top of whatever stuck leaves the level low enough that I can't see it through the fill hole, so if I can control what comes out of the vent hole, it'll all be good. Hopefully this works, if not it may take a more sophisticated baffle. 

I'm not one to worry about overfilling gearboxes, unless you've seriously doubled down.

Take a look at Guzzitech.dk    and Jens Lycks  archive, 1100 sports vent modifications,,,  probbably some other ideas there to.  Bought my tonti from Jens,,, with an extremly well built electrical system by him.      ( Seen your 1000 build,, rollers, yes impressed )

Cheers tom

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tomchri said:

Take a look at Guzzitech.dk    and Jens Lycks  archive, 1100 sports vent modifications,,,  probbably some other ideas there to.  Bought my tonti from Jens,,, with an extremly well built electrical system by him.      ( Seen your 1000 build,, rollers, yes impressed )

Cheers tom

Funny, I came to the same conclusions about the vent; a larger tube and a small filter. Still, we'll do a comparison with my patch. 
I'd feel more comfortable if I'd brazed a piece of square stock over the hole rather than something that can possibly dislodge, although it's tight and glued and probably won't be noticed if it gets in the gears. We'll see.

• Like 1