Red (short) Frame vs. Black (long) Frame

Scud

13 hours ago, KINDOY2 said:

I've owned a couple BMW R1100S and R1100RT's, decent bikes...Yawn......Like My friend Mike said..." I had a R1100s...very nice bike, But the whole time I had it no one ever came up and said " Hey! Nice Bike!"

Kinda Sums up my feelings.

Yea that sums them up fairly well. Not that I crave or need that sort of thing but I think a BMW is more a "what it can do" type of bike than one that stirs an emotional reaction. The only bike I've ever owned that I had zero desire to fit open mufflers to. A bit like an electric bike you still need to put Gasoline in. I'd probably like it better these days being a bit older and slower. I was a "Sports bike" guy at the time. and the BM was a bit to sedate for me.

Ciao   

• 1 month later...

Here is an excellent image of the 2002/early-2003 "carry-over" LongFrame with short tank compared to an early ShortFrame/short tank Sport. Notice the amount of exposed frame between the front of the tanks and the forks. That is where the V11 frame was lengthened. A trim piece ("panel" 01 57 59 60 ) covers the otherwise exposed wiring/etc crossing the space.  Later "long tanks" (internal pump/filter and no chin pad) obscure this area.

D923FC4B-7868-4812-BE33-DFC3E9B68604.jpeg

Image (and Sports!) courtesy of @Guzzimax  :thumbsup:

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

• 1 year later...

Courtesy of @KINDOY2, here are images of

1) Short Frame with Short (chin-pad) Tank:

(1999-2001 Sport and 2001 Rosso Mandello with short/black frame.)

IMG_5080.jpg

2) LongFrame/ShortTank    [Image courtesy of @MartyNZ]:

(2002, all models, PLUS the 2003 "Carryover  Sport ")

IMG20221118102242.jpg

3) LongFrame/LongTank (internal pump/filter):

(2003-2005, all models, EXCEPT the 2003 Carryover Sport.)

IMG_5081.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 11/16/2022 at 11:51 AM, gstallons said:

My red frame has the same combo as yours . My black frame has an external fuel pump. 

There's one thing for certain ,  nothin's for certain .

Exactly the purpose of this thread and those like it. The variations are knowable. I am working on a plan to add a third image to the tank/ steering head views, above, showing the short tank/long (black) frame of 2002 and the 2003 Carryover Sport.

edit: Done. Thank you, @MartyNZ :thumbsup:

Also, I am planning to create a pinned topic specifically for the  2003 Carryover Sport. 

edit: Done . . .

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, docc said:

Exactly the purpose of this thread and those like it. The variations are knowable. I am working on a plan to add a third image to the tank/ steering head views, above, showing the short tank/long (black) frame of 2002 and the 2003 Carryover Sport.

Also, I am planning to create a pinned topic specifically for the  2003 Carryover Sport. 

great idea docc. The whole 'carryover thing' is especially confusing to new owners. My first query would be, did the '03 (factory) designation start with production dates or the vin frame stamp. Since it seems clear they started '03 bikes before running out of '02 parts, there may be different differences in the carryovers. ie; fork tube size or bubbling block paint. Having a carryover is not a problem, I actually prefer some of the earlier items. If I was an owner I'd just go down the list of '03 upgrades and verify which ones ended up on my bike. Knowing all the upgrades is the key.

• Like 3

On 11/16/2022 at 6:12 PM, docc said:

Important model variation reference topic:

and also this:

From what I can see , if any of my bikes looked like that , I would prefer to "waller around" on the ground instead of a bike stand .

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 11/20/2022 at 6:53 AM, gstallons said:

From what I can see , if any of my bikes looked like that , I would prefer to "waller around" on the ground instead of a bike stand .

I am not at all sure how the software chooses what image to display from a "shared" topic, but sometimes it isn't entirely a bad thing . . .

• Like 2

On 11/17/2022 at 1:12 AM, docc said:

Important model variation reference topic:

and also this:

I still waller around on the ground, and if she’s available as a tool holder, I’ll foresake my ambition to get a bike lift in the future :P:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1