Sophia is sick

fed

I’ll start from the beginning. I got the bright idea (no pun) to swap my warning lamps to LED because these old eyes don’t see too well. Ok that done I checked the fuel lamp (with regular bulb soldered in line) all is fine. So now I notice that me battery lamp was glowing at idle. Checked and yep battery not charging. Read a whole bunch of what you guys suggested and did the following. Checked the ohms of two yellow wires I think it was .1 .  I cleaned the surface of the regulator and installed a 12g ground wire to the timing chain cover. I started her up and at 2000rpm reading was 13.6 . I thought I fixed her nope, I read some more. Checked the fuses, the battery fuse showed heat damage and the headlamp fuse (previous owner had a 25amp installed) was a pile of goo. Replace them and the headlamp relay, Also looked at the other regulator connections they were ok but I scuffed them up and added a dab of dielectric grease to the connections. The last thing I did was replace the tail lamp bulb because I don’t know why. i took her out this morning no battery light until about 12 miles out. I ordered a regulator cheap one from Ebay but it won’t be here for about 10 days. I couldn’t find anything about regulators crapping out when hot soooooo. Is there anything else I should check or just wait for the regulator.

And yes her name is Sophia because she’s my beautiful 18 year old…. Well you know

Do you have a wiring diagram & can you read/understand it well ? Have you inspected the fuse & relay connectors for overheating ? I know I'm reaching on this one , do you own a I/R camera to check for hotspots or bad connections ?

There are flowcharts to check the wiring or components before you go trying part$ . BTW , a 25a fuse isn't going to bring the world to an end . 

This wiring should have been assembled w/ circuit breakers & better relays and relays carrying the loads instead of switches . The bean counters ALWAYS win .

My 2003ish V11 has 2 wires from the alt. to reg. One wire from the reg. to the charge lamp. One wire from the reg. to the F3 fuse & to the battery . One wire to the Rr. stop lamp switch . Check the quality of the wiring & connections .

Fed, you're a better man than I.....

I replaced all the instrument lights with LED's and the fuel warning light didn't work.  Yes I did put the original incandescent in parallel but it still didn't work.  I switched back to the "low glow" of the incandescent (along with the ever-present trip meter).

One other downside I found is now my green blinker lights are blinding - even in daylight they overpower the rest of the display,

As an aside I'd changed out the instrument lights in a V50-III a year earlier and every thing went well butt - there's no low fuel warning light in a V50-III just the manual petcocks with a reserve setting.

i thought about that but its not only the light i checked the battery and it wasn't charging so its not only the lamp being lit.....

and then why only when hot. i checked again last nite when cold and it charges at 2000 rpm at 13.6 v.... 

so to piss her off i took out one of the Triumphs this morning. I even let her watch me check the tire pressure before leaving.

• Like 1

Haa! Just wondering: What’s your opinion on the old and new thruxtons?

I blatted out to conisbrough today to look at the lovely 4v griso my jammy pal has bought and, as it was a triumph dealer, they happened to have a newish thruxy that looked ever so nice... it was the suspension that caught my eye- looked snazzy.

several ywars ago when i was asked if i ride and if i had just the one bike i said no i have 3 motorcycles and one (the 06 Thruxton)

motorbike. i still ride it often because its a gentlemen's bike. The 16 Thruxton is a blast. powerful,great clutch action and smooth transmission. I love all my bikes. i had a several  before these and was sorry i turned them in after my HD Sportster Sport i swore i wouldnt sell another bike. 

I also hadn’t realised that the original 4v greeezo has the same engine as our v11. So he’ll be a happy chappy i reckons! :D

In typical confusing Italian style you can see the 2 valve (per head) called either a 2v or 4v (for both cylinders). And then the 4v head called a quattrovalvole. Or an 8v. Or...

The Griso (2v per head) is 1200cc (is it actually 1200?) and I don't know what other changes there are. But they aren't identical.

No I'm thinking / hoping I just need to change out the regulator so I'll just wait until it arrives . It's not like it's my only ride so I went out on a different one but gave Sophia a bath wax and shined up her dull pipes.......