Joe caruso timing gear install

Lucky Phil

Received my set. They look slightly different from yours, hopefully they are correct. And I hope you don't mind if I pester you with questions when I get around to installing them heheh :D

EDIT: confirmed with Joe that these are correct. The hole pattern is different on these newer iterations.

large.ED5C129D-2D05-4865-936B-AFB3ADCAE62F.jpeg

• Like 3

6 hours ago, sp838 said:

Received my set. They look slightly different from yours, hopefully they are correct. And I hope you don't mind if I pester you with questions when I get around to installing them heheh :D

EDIT: confirmed with Joe that these are correct. The hole pattern is different on these newer iterations.

large.ED5C129D-2D05-4865-936B-AFB3ADCAE62F.jpeg

Yes later oil pump and cam gears have a different hole lightening arrangement. Nice arent they.

Ciao

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, knumbnutz said:

Hi Phil, where did you procure the gears from?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

From Joe, email him directly. Mention the forum and my name. There's nothing in it for me personally but he's a good fellow and always been very helpful to me and I like to encourage these type of talented people to keep producing stuff for Guzzi's. Lets him know I appreciate his efforts and pass the word around. 

joe.caruso@ntlworld.com

Ciao

• Like 2

5 hours ago, GuzziMoto said:

I know they are steel. I do not know what alloy / grade of steel.

I believe they are Stillobtanium  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/17/2019 at 10:53 PM, gstallons said:

Question : what type of metal are these gears made of ?

Not sure, email Joe and ask him. Whatever he's using it will be of the required quality and specifications.

Ciao 

8 hours ago, gstallons said:

Who was selling the aluminum gear set-up ?

A few companies over the years including OEM but its a little irrelevant because Alloy gears a rubbish by and large, best to stay away.

Ciao

• Like 1

Seen another trend with aluminium sprockets on motorcycles "new light weight super strong cnc....yada yada" and they last about as long as you would expect. The chinese dudes selling it must be rolling around in laughter. These things are strong enough for a trophy or wall ornament but not for the a motorcycle sprocket. While I don't expect quite the same forces on the alum gears, they simply aren't the right material for longevity in this use.

9 hours ago, gstallons said:

Who was selling the aluminum gear set-up ?

I think MG cycle had them at one point as well as Guzzibits in the UK. Drive gear was steel and cam and oil pump gears were alloy. 

1 hour ago, knumbnutz said:

Seen another trend with aluminium sprockets on motorcycles "new light weight super strong cnc....yada yada" and they last about as long as you would expect. The chinese dudes selling it must be rolling around in laughter. These things are strong enough for a trophy or wall ornament but not for the a motorcycle sprocket. While I don't expect quite the same forces on the alum gears, they simply aren't the right material for longevity in this use.

Aluminum sprockets are widely used in performance and racing applications both on track and in the dirt. They are considered consumable wear items and not expected to last. They're expected to be light, and to be replaced often. 

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

hey Lucky Phil, do you remember offhand what size nut is used on the end of the oil pump drive shaft? The parts catalog I have doesn't specify, just says "nut". Part number is GU92602308. Grazie!

EDIT: judging by the size of the lockwasher behind it (part 6) I'm guessing the nut is M8... Sound right?

EED2226D-9FC2-4FE8-884B-65AD1B5BF3D9.jpeg

22 hours ago, sp838 said:

hey Lucky Phil, do you remember offhand what size nut is used on the end of the oil pump drive shaft? The parts catalog I have doesn't specify, just says "nut". Part number is GU92602308. Grazie!

EDIT: judging by the size of the lockwasher behind it (part 6) I'm guessing the nut is M8... Sound right?

EED2226D-9FC2-4FE8-884B-65AD1B5BF3D9.jpeg

Yes 8 X 1mm thread. Torque, 2-2.2 kgm with loctite 601.

Ciao

• Thanks 2

On 11/29/2018 at 5:12 PM, JesterGrin_1 said:

I am sorry but if the motorcycle that these gears are placed in is for a street bike I have to ask why?

I have to ask as I have never found a good reason to run a straight cut gear set on anything street driven. And very seldom for anything for racing.

Gears are better than chains in every way but one- noise. Gears are noisy, chains are quiet. So any bike that has to pass any sort of noise test (EPA here) benefits from using a cam chain instead of gears. Even HD went to chains in their big twins, because they trade the cam noise for exhaust/intake noise. 

Functionally? Probably not noticeable, if the chain is good and the tensioner is adequate. 

Still, I'll have a set in mine eventually, because riding an Italian motorcycle and asking why something makes sense is a silly thing.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2