V11 Daytona project

Lucky Phil

Just started to get this together after quite a few years. Prepping and painting engine components, what a PITA. Heads and crankcases to go. Used the kitchen oven to cure the paint today, hope the wife understands that needs must. Its slightly aromatic in the kitchen at the present:).Cylinder heads still require a light valve seat cut and grind after guide replacement. The grey turned out a little darker than I hoped for but what can you do.

gallery_7936_218_777854.jpg

gallery_7936_218_1232616.jpg

gallery_7936_218_673932.jpg

gallery_7936_218_461124.jpg

gallery_7936_218_765696.jpg

gallery_7936_218_75163.jpg

Ciao

• Like 5

Nice. I love doing that kind of stuff.. or at least I used to when I had my temporary paint booth for 15 years or so.  :rasta:

Thing is Chuck the prep is so onerous stripping off the old paint and prepping the cases the painting itself takes on an elevated importance. You dont want mess it up and have to do that process again. I actually set up my bead blaster to use Sodium Bicarbonate. I'd not used it before. The Sodium media is quite mild and I just used it to clean up the cases after stripping. Its a good media to use if you have a small car body repair to do or a spot repair on a motorcycle you dont need to worry about the contamination of the surrounding areas. Just wash it off with water when your finished. Same with engine cases, no contamination issues unlike glass bead. 

The major PITA is the spare black crinkle finish gearbox that I plan on using. That stuff is a complete nightmare to remove!

Ciao    

Big end clearances, both the same .038 mm or maybe a fraction under, perfect. Front and rear mains were spot on at .040 both ends.Middle of the range for the front and bottom of the range for the rear. Crank end float 0.10 mm, again spot on. 

​Also spent some time with the die grinder de burring the crankcases, don't know why I bother really, just driven to do it. A bit of Chuck therapy I think. We all get it in different ways:)

Ciao

gallery_7936_218_455433.jpg

gallery_7936_218_471802.jpg

gallery_7936_218_363263.jpg

gallery_7936_218_27922.jpg

Looking at those blanked off push rod tubes, does this mean the old Tonti engine could be modified into a V10? I understand of course the motor would no longer fit a Tonti frame.